The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grammys Tonight

pimpcurtly

Yeah, fun. winning was stupid. Guys are old as hell and have been around for awhile. Kinda surprised the call me maybe chick didn't win anything, that song was everywhere and catchy, even if you hated it.

Actually found most of the performers and songs that won.. all kind of sucked. Just a bad year for 'commercial' music I guess.

Frank Ocean sang terribly. probably couldn't hear properly or something.

JT and Jay-Z's performance was fun. speaking of fun., they're so awful. 2012 was a particularly painful pop music year for me because i really hate gotye, mumford and fun.

no lol

I'm personally a fan of Mumford & Sons. The first song I ever heard by them was "Little Lion Man" when a friend had included it on a mix for me. I think this may have been late 2009 or early 2010, prior to them blowing up with worldwide recognition through radio airplay and their nominations as well as performance at the 2010 Grammy's. But still, when I first heard them, I thought they were pretty unique. I haven't heard of a lot of folk/Americana music prior to hearing their music, but I quite liked their sound, lyrics, and the various instruments they used for their songs (like the mandolin!). I don't think they're really that overrated, but maybe their huge mainsteam success kind of irks me a bit. I wouldn't say Babel was a bad album, but I know several of my friends were not too into it because they thought it'd be more like the energetic sound they heard in Sigh No More.

I am a fan of Grizzly Bear too. Shields is great. I really liked Veckatimest, didn't think I'd like Shields so much more. But I understand what you mean. Sometimes that bands that truly deserve recognition, don't. And to risk sounding like a hipster or a jackass, I'm kind of glad they don't get that huge recognition sometimes, just so they don't attract the mainstream bandwagoners who'll jump on anything popular.

And YES. I agree with you about the Best New Artist category. Every year, I feel like the Grammy's or the Juno's will nominate a band or artist who's been around for a while as a best new artist, and that really annoys me. I was a big fan of indie band The Format (led by fun. frontman Nate Ruess), so I really liked fun.'s debut album "Aim and Ignite". Did it come out in 2009? Time really flies. But I was definitely not feeling this new album. And don't even get me started on the amount of airplay that "We Are Young" gets. If I hear that song one more time..

i don't think it has anything to do with elitism. i couldn't care less if my favourite musicians win awards. personally, i love pop culture, and i watch a lot of award shows, read countless year-end-lists, and all that. i don't need or want MY taste to be stroked and enforced, i just enjoy the discussion over the arts

however, the grammys are a different kind of garbage all together. the grammys don't award high culture, nor do they even acknowledge low culture. say what you will about the oscars, but at least they acknowledge the spectrum from time to time. the grammys ceremony, on the other hand, is entirely about rewarding those who ride gently down the middle of the road and achieve respectable if not phenomenal record sales. the committee is corrupt (and that ain't no tin foil hat stuff), and the program is about ratings and money, nothing more and nothing less.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure a lot of people think--zzzzz-the black keys are the best rock band in the world, and many others still consider marilyn manson a vital (and best?) 'metal band'

but who are the people who believe carly rae jepsom (or whatever), mumford and sons, jack white, and ed sheeran are the high point of (north) american music this year? nobody. nobody except a handful of children (those who spend the money), and those who make money off them. middle of the road garbage. tooootally boring.

let me re-word that

not a fan of Gotye at all, but if we're talking Australian music, then I'll go ahead and say that I believe Tame Impala is the best (or at least my favourite) band making new music right now, and they're from the land down under

If not THE best band, then definitely in my top 3.

and what's even more impressive is that Tame Impala is 95% written (AND recorded!) by one man, and he's only like 26 years old!

They'll be swinging by Vancouver in a few months, and I can't wait.

let me re-word that

not a fan of Gotye at all, but if we're talking Australian music, then I'll go ahead and say that I believe Tame Impala is the best (or at least my favourite) band making new music right now, and they're from the land down under

and what's even more impressive is that Tame Impala is 95% written (AND recorded!) by one man, and he's only like 26 years old!

let me re-word that

Archived