The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

7-2-2 not 2-2-7 Pretty amazing eh? Mini team appreciation thread.

Go Go Canucks Go

Who here honestly would have thought that the Canucks would get off the this type of start (the best start ever under AV) without

1)Basically the majority of the team not playing overseas during the lockout

2)Ryan Freaking Kesler and David booth (2 of our top 6 players)

3The goalie drama unfolding that is Corey and Luongo

4)So bad at centre that we needed Burrows to play there

This is basically the dream scenario that the majority of us probably never even fathomed. Here is some appreciation for the Canucks who have already battled through some adversity and come out on top!

Interesting note is that with Jordan Schroeder in the line up the Canucks are

7-1-1, Mason Raymond has shown a resurgence (perhaps due to some help from Schroeder?), and Jordan Schroeder has yet to give up a goal against in 5 on 5 situations. If Andrew freaking Ebett were still playing I probably would have lost all my hair by now. It's night and day !

SIde note: It just goes to show how terrible and unprofessional the Vancouver media is with their lack of research when writing articles and reports about players. These people come up with such BS and base everything on Stats alone without EVER watching a player play and come up with ridiculous assumptions. Shame on them!, it's been proven time after time with these bunches of people.

I'm talking about you Gallagher, Kuzma, Botchford, Price and etc. Do your homework before spewing BS and non factual reports. Just piss poor journalism on their part.

Anyways I would have never imagined this kind of start given the team circumstances and injuries. so PROPS TO THE CANUCKS for going out there and winning hockey games!

Good thread. I thought they would have a much (longer) slow start, as they seemed pretty rusty to begin with. I also thought that missing the 2nd line guys would have a far worse effect on the team. I knew the goaltending would be great, but one has to give kudos to the entire team for their play since midway through the Edm game.

Who here honestly would have thought that the Canucks would get off the this type of start (the best start ever under AV) without

1)Basically the majority of the team not playing overseas during the lockout

2)Ryan Freaking Kesler and David booth (2 of our top 6 players)

3The goalie drama unfolding that is Corey and Luongo

4)So bad at centre that we needed Burrows to play there

This is basically the dream scenario that the majority of us probably never even fathomed. Here is some appreciation for the Canucks who have already battled through some adversity and come out on top!

Interesting note is that with Jordan Schroeder in the line up the Canucks are

7-1-1, Mason Raymond has shown a resurgence (perhaps due to some help from Schroeder?), and Jordan Schroeder has yet to give up a goal against in 5 on 5 situations. If Andrew freaking Ebett were still playing I probably would have lost all my hair by now. It's night and day !

SIde note: It just goes to show how terrible and unprofessional the Vancouver media is with their lack of research when writing articles and reports about players. These people come up with such BS and base everything on Stats alone without EVER watching a player play and come up with ridiculous assumptions. Shame on them!, it's been proven time after time with these bunches of people.

I'm talking about you Gallagher, Kuzma, Botchford, Price and etc. Do your homework before spewing BS and non factual reports. Just piss poor journalism on their part.

Anyways I would have never imagined this kind of start given the team circumstances and injuries. so PROPS TO THE CANUCKS for going out there and winning hockey games!

I totally agree brother bear.

People say the fans give luongo a rough time...well the fans only communicate with Luongo in one of 2 ways

1.directly at the game by cheering/booing

2.by tweeting/texting questions like last night in after hours

ask yourselves- is it really us that gives Luongo a rough time or is it the media sending this out to us.

the media could have spun SCF one of 2 ways

1.the whole team let Luongo down in Boston and he got us 3 wins in vancouver with 2 shutouts and a 1 goal game performace

or

2.Luongo crapped the bed in Boston.

The media chose number 2 and Gillis is suffering for it becuase other teams do not see Luongo for the all star he is but rather the so-called "play-off choker" pffffff

This city Loves Loves Loves Luongo and all he has brought us.

I say, if Luongo wants to stay here long term, trade schneider

Schneider

Higgins

to WSH

Troy Brouwer

Neuvirth

2013 first

2014 2nd

WSH can go on to enjoy their best goalies ever who will rival Kolzig's Vezina season and make them a solid team for the next 7 yrs.

We can go onto enjoy the best goalie this frnachise has ever had.

We can always flip Neuvirth next year when Lack is ready to step in

Good thread. I think Shredder def has had an impact on Raymond. I will use the analogy of an employee who is struggling to perform at their best level, and then once a new employee comes in and is lower on the seniority level than them, poof, they start performing better because they are being pushed. Similar situation IMO.

As for our record, we have a great coach and stellar goaltending which i think has made the biggest difference. But now the chemistry is building throughout the team, they're starting to settle down and in, and all of a sudden we will get even more scoring power back into the lineup via Kes and Booth. Unreal team we will be dressing.

AV doesn't get enough credit.

As for Schneids and Lou: after watching Lou last night on After Hours I felt so bad for the guy. I honestly think we should keep both goalies this year and make a run for the cup with both of them. Spread the games out evenly like they have been so far, and then once we win the cup go from there. That is, of course, unless we get a stupid offer from a team before the trade deadline (which I think is likely) that GM MG just cannot refuse.

Good thread tho. Great start to the season, it's only going to get better! :towel:

I totally agree brother bear.

People say the fans give luongo a rough time...well the fans only communicate with Luongo in one of 2 ways

1.directly at the game by cheering/booing

2.by tweeting/texting questions like last night in after hours

ask yourselves- is it really us that gives Luongo a rough time or is it the media sending this out to us.

the media could have spun SCF one of 2 ways

1.the whole team let Luongo down in Boston and he got us 3 wins in vancouver with 2 shutouts and a 1 goal game performace

or

2.Luongo crapped the bed in Boston.

The media chose number 2 and Gillis is suffering for it becuase other teams do not see Luongo for the all star he is but rather the so-called "play-off choker" pffffff

This city Loves Loves Loves Luongo and all he has brought us.

I say, if Luongo wants to stay here long term, trade schneider

Schneider

Higgins

to WSH

Troy Brouwer

Neuvirth

2013 first

2014 2nd

WSH can go on to enjoy their best goalies ever who will rival Kolzig's Vezina season and make them a solid team for the next 7 yrs.

We can go onto enjoy the best goalie this frnachise has ever had.

We can always flip Neuvirth next year when Lack is ready to step in

Since the first game anomoly, we've scored scored 30 goals in 10 games and allowed 17 goals.

So for the last 10 games our goals for / goals against differential is about 1.3. Very impressive and speaks to the solid Goaltending and great defence. Of our 6 regular D, Hamuis is the only minus (-1), and Garrison is a plus 7.

We are 9th in the league for goals scored (33) and 6th in goals against (24), and that includes the first game where 7 went in.

The OP makes a good point that we're seeing a strong start much sooner than Vancouver fans are used to, and they should be getting progeressively better and better.

I wasn't worried at all when the Flames scored first, I just knew we were coming back.

And as a closing note, watching Schroeder play has been fun, and he should stick even after Booth/Kesler return. He has great vision and passes very well. With Kesler, Booth, Raymond, Hansen, Schroeder, that's a ridiculous amount of speed up front.

there certainly is a lot to be happy about with the way the boys are playing. the most encouraging for me is that we are 7-2-2 without even coming close to seeing the canucks play to their full potential. even with this great record they still have a lot to improve on which is a great sign, skies the limit with this group. can't wait to see how dominant they're going to be when (1) the sedins really start to step up their game, (2) the power play begins to click like we've seen over the last 3 years and (3) kesler comes back ... with that offensive growth, and continued solid team defense/goaltending >> this team is going to be scary good!

I would agree that the media are the real issue. People here are temperamental but if there's one thing I've learned about Canucks fans, they'll believe almost anything they read then parrot it about the city. However I think that's gotten old for all involved. Fans don't really seem to care nearly as much what CBC and the Province say about the game. The Nucks also seem like they've truly learned its not worth giving a crap.

On the up side, I think the fan base and the players have gained a lot more confidence from the last couple years of bile. Combined with some fresh blood, the Canucks have looked completely unphased by being down a goal or two. Like cupbearer said, once the Flames scored I thought "That's not gonna last".

For sure, some real positives so far (at the quarter pole, wtf?!) relatively early in the season.

But I wouldn't start blowing each other just yet. The Canucks have managed some good results agains some decent teams, and beat (sometimes just barely) some less than mediocre teams.

Its all about the playoffs. Another P.Trophy doesn't mean squat.

I just want them prepared, clicking and peaking going into the playoffs.

I learned to stop listening to the media a long time ago. The sensationalist tabloid approach they have to reporting on this team is just irratating.

Most of the time I feel like I have more knowledge on the players they're talking about then they do. Not trying to be arrogant, but some of the guys on the team 1040 just sound clueless sometimes. You would think that someone who's job it is to report on the Canucks would do some deeper research on players like Schroeder and Kassian before they come up. Like actually watching the Wolves play maybe? And not just when they're in Abbotsford.

I don't want homerism media, but at the same time, I don't want this self doubting, self loathing media approach that we get now. Something in the middle would be nice maybe.

Heck yes, the media here are terrible...it's always something causing the sky to fall with these guys, some disaster or crisis that AV and/or Gillis need to address immediately or be fired. Someone ought to tell those hacks that there is such a thing as reasoned, sensible hockey analysis.

Archived