The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC NDP Opposed to Smart Meters - But Will Do Nothing if Elected

Wetcoaster

What could be fairer than $800 a year in HST rebates for low income people. I know many elderly people who came far ahead becasue they don't spend that much money on services like haircuts and restaurant meals.

Biggest lie by the anti-HST folks is that it hurts poor people when nothing can be farther from the truth.

A value added tax is far fairer taxation than income tax because it is something you can control. Spend less and you will be be taxed less. Simple as that.

BTW, PST + GST = 7 +5 %= 12% for most goods anyway. It was 12% if you buy clothing, electronics, etc. before the HST and will still be 12% after.

Also, it was projected that households would pay an additional $300 in taxes a year. Or less than $1 a day.

My property tax went up more than that this year. Why is there no anti-Property tax increase petition out there?

Nope - I don't own a black light...besides...I thought we are supposed to trust science?

"

Understanding Radio Frequency and BC Hydro's Smart Meters

Safety is our top priority for BC Hydro and is an important focus of the Smart Metering Program. That's why we have reviewed the scientific research related to radio frequency based technology. After decades of research, there are no demonstrable health or environmental effects from exposure to low level radio frequency signals. Here are the facts about smart meters and their low level radio frequency:"

http://www.bchydro.c...rtmeters_safety

I have no problem with smart meters, they make a whole ton of sense. Mines currently 2 1/2 meters directly behind my head every night and I don't care.

Why? Because even if the radiation is bad, is it any different than the radiation we currently are bathed in on a daily basis? WiFi, Cellphones, heck even TV's and microwaves. What about wireless land line phones?

That being said the government has no right to force this potentially dangerous meter on anybodies home without the home owner's approval. It's an infringement on freedom and liberty. Just install wired meters?

I have no problem with smart meters, they make a whole ton of sense. Mines currently 2 1/2 meters directly behind my head every night and I don't care.

Why? Because even if the radiation is bad, is it any different than the radiation we currently are bathed in on a daily basis? WiFi, Cellphones, heck even TV's and microwaves. What about wireless land line phones?

That being said the government has no right to force this potentially dangerous meter on anybodies home without the home owner's approval. It's an infringement on freedom and liberty. Just install wired meters?

No. The problem with a consumption tax is poor people spend 100% of what they make, so they get taxed the full 12%. Rich people spend a smaller portion of what they make (because they can afford to save etc), so they pay less than 12%. In absolute terms though, the rich would still pay more money.

That being said, the HST is still good policy

Property tax is a fair taxation as you put it. You can control that if you think your property tax is too high go live somewhere without hospitals, parks, schools, roads etc. and I bet you will pay next to nothing in property tax!

The problem with your "HST is fairer" point is that all people need to eat, people need clothes, people need things like medications and other necessities, all these things were PST exempt but not HST... so you see by your own point the HST is not a fairer tax.

Clothes is the same tax of 12% under either HST or PST/GST. And Prescription Drugs are HST exempt.

Absolutely amazing the false information spreading by anti-HST organizations. And people bought it too!

One time I heard someone on talk radio say he will pay more tax on buying a vaccum cleaner because he now has to pay 12% tax.

How to believe that guy can't add 2 and 2 together.

Nope - I don't own a black light...besides...I thought we are supposed to trust science?

"

Understanding Radio Frequency and BC Hydro's Smart Meters

Safety is our top priority for BC Hydro and is an important focus of the Smart Metering Program. That's why we have reviewed the scientific research related to radio frequency based technology. After decades of research, there are no demonstrable health or environmental effects from exposure to low level radio frequency signals. Here are the facts about smart meters and their low level radio frequency:"

http://www.bchydro.c...rtmeters_safety

Actually no it's not, ...... It's time for better more efficient technology.

I have a problem with the NDP who always just side on what the public complains at just for popularity... Mark my word when the NDP win the election most of the middle and low class people in the province will be happy (for 1 or 2 years) and our struggling economy and increased deficit will be the end result (for many years to come).

How is it a rip off? BC pays some of the lowest electricity rates in North America. BC is 6.8 cents / kWh, and goes up to 10 cents after 1350 kWh. Quebec is cheaper. Most places in North America are around 15 cents. Some are over 20 cents. Check out the data:

http://www.hydroqueb...ces/index.html#

From the comments on your link: "Where is the detail on how Enron was involved? Powerex sold power to Enron and.....?

What about all the money California owes BC Hydro and hasn't paid?

Anyways - I suspect this will be tied up in the courts for some time. It sure would be nice to see an investigative piece on BC Hydro and all of it subsidiaries and accounts, a balance sheet etc.....Looks like we are going to be "double speaked" again."

Clothes is the same tax of 12% under either HST or PST/GST. And Prescription Drugs are HST exempt.

Absolutely amazing the false information spreading by anti-HST organizations. And people bought it too!

One time I heard someone on talk radio say he will pay more tax on buying a vaccum cleaner because he now has to pay 12% tax.

How to believe that guy can't add 2 and 2 together.

Archived