The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roenick's AV stories from junior days

TheRussianRocket96

Just finished reading the Jeremy Roenick biography, good read. Heres a few excerpts for when he talks about AV. Pretty interesting to see that he has the fun personality we see sometimes, but also a tough side we might not see.

- "Alain Vigneault, now behind the bench for the Vancouver Canucks, was my coach in Hull. I liked him because he was like Keenan- tough and direct."

- "These guys knew how to have fun, and they knew how to play practical jokes on rookies.

The team's longest bus trip was an 11-hour excursion to Chicoutimi. When we were almost there, Vigneault told the bus driver to pull over. He stood up and told all of the rookies to gather at the front of the bus, because the assistant coach had forgotten the neccessary paperwork for the rookie to travel through a park area. I can't remember exactly what their explanation was for why we needed papers to travel within Canada, but the gobbledy-gook the coach fed us seemed realistic enough to be believed. His bull**** fooled me.

"What are we going to do?" I said, concerned that I had made an 11-hour bus ride for nothing.

"We are going to sneak you guys in under the bus," Vigneault told us.

So we got out of the bus, and the three rookies climbed into the storage compartment, and then the bags were stacked around us. I don't remember what the temperature was, but it felt like arctic under there.

We then drove a couple of miles, and the the bus stopped and we could hear voices outside. Someone said they were going to search the luggage compartment. "Hide," I Whisered. "Get under the bags. Everyone get as low as you can."

The door was opened, and the three of us were holding our breath, trying to stay as still as possible. Then we peeked through the bags and saw Vigneault and all the boys laughing their asses off at the naive rookies. That was Hull's method of initiating players onto the team."

- "The season I played in Hull it was mandatory to use a facemask and a neckguard. Once Gelinas and another player forgot their neckguards for a game at Three Rivers. They weren't allowed to play, and we lost the game. We headed back home that night like we always did, but when we pulled into our parking lot at two in the morning, Vigneault ordered everyone into the dressing room. He set up a video camera and he ordered every player to put on his freezing equipment and go in front of the camera and count off. We had to put our equipment on and take it off 20 times while counting each time for the camera. Vigneault was going to make sure that no one ever forgot his equipment again."

-"Alain Vigneault also had a hard edge to his coaching style. I wouldn't say I liked being criticized or yelled at, but I got used to it."

I always thought that if we fired AV (not because he's a bad coach, but a shake up sort of like a few cup winners have done in the past) we would need to get a tougher and meaner coach. Unless AV isn't as tough with this core as he has been in the past (a possibility considering how much some of the players seem to like him), a more player friendly coach would be required if we were to shake things up?

It's like how we put Schneider in for Luongo last playoffs. We needed to try something, and Schneider played goal a lot differently.

FYI, I want AV to stay for the time being.

Archived