The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roenick's AV stories from junior days

TheRussianRocket96

Hilarious! Man it must be so cool being a part of the CHL hockey family

I really like AV for not taking everything so seriously. He's intense when he needs to be but he's not a drill sergeant either. The players seem to have a good relationship with him because of that. He treats them like men, not little kids.

I think AV has probably softened a bit over the years but I also think he picks his spots and doesn't take himself too seriously. I'm sure he rips players at times but he leaves that in the room and doesn't necessarily take it into media scrums. Plus the team wins a lot, if the team was terrible he would probably show a bit more frustration.

Great Post and good insight into a terrific coach.

Many vancouver fans, and I understand, are young, haven't been through many tough years watching this team and have become what I'd consider somewhat spoiled.

This is the reason we see incessant whining/complaining on here when the nucks lose, if someone has a bad game etc. What many of these fans haven't lived through, is the team of the 70's and 80's that pretty much sucked, but definitely had character. Thats what it means to be a Canuck (to play with heart and drive, a lunchbucket attitude, something AV tried to instill day 1) and guys like Smyl, Linden, Naslund, Bert, Sedins, Lou (yes I said Lou) have carried this attitude throughout the years.

Unfortunately, not having seen those lean years, many of the new nucks fans really don't realize how lucky we are to have two of the finest NHL players in the league leading our team, to have had a stanley cup appearance 2 years ago, to be perrenial contenders for the last 5 years and likely the next 4-5, to have two of the finest goaltenders to ever put on a Canucks jersey, to have won back to back presidents trophies, potentially win a 3rd, to have a hart, selke, 2 art ross winners, a vezina candidate, a vezina candidate to be, jennings winners, a coach of the year and gm of the year, all on the same team.

When I was a kid, I dreamed of being lucky enough to see this, we dreamed during the Naslund era to have a team like the redwings that just always seemed to be in the hunt.

Well we have it, and all people do is complain, ya know what, AV has alot to do with the above success...those who say fire him are clueless.

Go look at the nucks records through the 70s and 80s and even 90s and then suggest that AV should be fired. As one post mentioned, this man is not going anywhere unless he loses the room, and given Lou's reaction to him on after hours, I'd say thats not going to happen anytime soon.

The man has the team's respect, has earned it, its about time fans realize what we have.

That's pretty funny, the hazing when I was in junior wasn't. Some of the younger guys had to go to school with "vampire bites" or were made to swallow chew (not me thankfully). Funniest thing our coach ever did was clear out the dressing room, bring in two pairs of boxing gloves and a stopwatch and told us we each had to fight a player of his choosing. Ya, he really wasn't that funny (although most of the fights were kind of funny).

Archived