The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservation Officers Shoots Pet Dog

nucklehead

Alexey Osmolin can’t sleep. He can’t work. He can’t eat. And when he’s at home, he finds himself reaching out for someone who is no longer there.

It’s been this way, Osmolin said, since Sunday, the day a conservation officer shot and killed his dog Rada.

Rada, a five-year-old Belgian Shepherd, was sitting by Osmolin’s side Sunday afternoon as Osmolin and his friend monitored their fishing lines on Black Water Lake, just outside Pemberton. After several hours of ice fishing, they were getting ready to call it a day.

At some point, Osmolin said Rada, whom he’s had since she was 2 ½ weeks old, left his side by the ice hole. He can remember hearing Rada barking, turning to see what was going on, and watching, horrified, as a conservation officer, gun in hand, opened fire.

If I felt a charging dog was a threat and in the officer's position I'd have fired too. I don't mind other people waiting to get mauled to decide to take something seriously, but I value my safety far more than an animal's life. Obviously this officer feels the same way, good for him. Dog owner should keep better track of his pets next time, eh?

If I felt a charging dog was a threat and in the officer's position I'd have fired too. I don't mind other people waiting to get mauled to decide to take something seriously, but I value my safety far more than an animal's life. Obviously this officer feels the same way, good for him. Dog owner should keep better track of his pets next time, eh?

Archived