The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can trade for Iginla

VanNuck

My view is that Iginla would be fired up in the playoffs with any chance to win a cup. The last few years Iginla has been slow starting the season, this year is no different and I think his game will pick up by mid season.

The problem is with his cap hit of 7 Mill, it would be tough to make room, I also know that we will have cap troubles next year and will have to dump salary. With the way Ballard is playing I really don't think it should be him going.

My suggestion, offer up Booth straight up for Iginla. Calgary gets a replacement winger thats under contract for a few years and we rid ourself of his cap hit. Booth has been absolutely useless for us when he's healthy, which isn't nearly often enough.

We get a guy that will help us tremendously in the playoffs, Calgary gets something tangible.

Everyone is missing the whole point of the deal. So what if Canucks gives up something that helps the Flames make the playoffs in the future if it means they can get that first Cup now?

But I do agree with you guys on one thing: the Flames would be loathe to part ways with Iginla, especially to the Canucks. However, all things considered, Iginla has little other option to get a Cup. Canucks are far and away his best hope.

Keep in mind, Iginla still has been one of the most consistent scorers of the decade and perhaps one of the most clutch performers of all time. There's no reason to believe that pairing him with elite playmakers like the Sedins can help him revive - and they'll need him to get past the hump.

Keep in mind too, Iginla's on the last year of his contract, so the Flames cannot ask too high a price if they did make a trade. A 30th overall pick is a small price to pay for someone who can get you a Cup this season.

Just saying though, the team as-is is in no shape to win the Cup. Sedins need a big clutch power forward to get them over the hump.

An option that may potentially be better for us is having MG re-visit/inquire of the availability of Shane Doan...looks like the Jamison ownership has fallen through, so Doan may be available and may be willing to waive his NTC. If doable, it would be great to see a trade that brings Doan to us for David Booth and a prospect package of Rodin and Connauton.

Phoenix has a good group of young Euros, including Korpikoski and Ekman-Larsson, so Rodin might be a good complement for them; and in spite of their backend is still pretty young with Morris and Michalek being the only ones over 30, Connauton probably has a better shot at cracking the Coyotes roster than ours in the near term future. In Booth, they are getting a guy who, perhaps could be described as a younger, "Doan-light" (i.e., prorated over 82 game schedule, similar, albeit lower numbers over the past 3 years; 10 lbs. lighter; more prone to injury than Doan -- but who isnt'? --...and both are men of faith, though you don't hear a lot of PTL from Doan as you do with Booth).

We'd be taking on more cap hit with Doan (vs. Booth), but that could be off-set by guys like Jensen stepping and taking a roster spot on an ETL contract.

Other options packaged with Booth to consider in a trade if the Coyotes aren't looking for prospects:

-Ballard

-Raymond

For them to trade him to us it would require more than it would for other teams.

Which would likely mean the asking price would begin with Kassian. Something I am not willing to do, not at all.

It's just not a possibility, it's like us trading Schneider to Edmonton for anything less the the big 5.

Lol at people saying my proposal is bad when some of the same people are saying the most they would give up is Booth or Raymond or Ballard + a 1st. That's laughable from a Calgary standpoint. To get the Flames to trade Jarome Iginla, especially within the Northwest division, you gotta give a good price and Ballard, Gaunce and a 1st would at least get the negtiations going.

Lol at people saying my proposal is bad when some of the same people are saying the most they would give up is Booth or Raymond or Ballard + a 1st. That's laughable from a Calgary standpoint. To get the Flames to trade Jarome Iginla, especially within the Northwest division, you gotta give a good price and Ballard, Gaunce and a 1st would at least get the negtiations going.

I have my doubts that it'll happen. Iginla and the Flames organization have both publicly stated that they are happy with the current situation. If he was traded I doubt that it would be to Vancouver since they're NW Division Rivals.

Iginla is a really classy hockey player. He is by far my favorite non-Canuck. I'd love to see him in a Canucks sweater playing with the twins. Talk about instant domination with the twins passing skills and Iginla's prowess and ability to finish. He is also super motivated in the playoff's could be the spark that this team needs to push them over the edge.

Trevor Lindens last game. Fast forward to 4:40 to see Iginla's classy move, he also potted his 50th goal of the season in this game.

Archived