Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Pope Benedict XVI to resign at the end of the month.

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

The man probably got blackmailed. Very unsuccessful papacy.

He's resigning because of health reasons...yeah, as if the last Pope was jumping all over the place in his latter years...

This is pretty historic stuff, the last Pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415 during a "papal civil war". No Pope, regardless of how frail he is has ever abdicated the Throne of St. Peter. My guess is that someone found out about some scandal that Ratzinger was involved in and blackmailed him into quitting. That scandal, whatever it is, must be of a gargantuan proportion. The type that could ruin not only Ratzinger, but the Church itself.

Rome (CNN) -- Pope Benedict XVI will resign on February 28, his spokesman Father Federico Lombardi told CNN Monday.

The 85-year-old pope is resigning "because of advanced age," Benedict told the cardinals of the Catholic Church on Monday.

"Strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me," the pope told the cardinals, according to the Vatican.

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415. He did so to end a civil war within the church in which more than one man claimed to be pope.

Benedict, the 265th pope, is the sixth German to serve as pope and the first since the 11th century. He became pope in 2005.

He has led church after the third-longest papacy in church history and during a time in which the church is declining in his native Europe but expanding in Africa and Latin America.

Benedict's time as pope has been marked with a series of scandals and controversies, including hundreds of new allegations of sexual abuse by priests.

Edited by Canuckerbird, 11 February 2013 - 05:06 AM.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#2 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

The man probably got blackmailed. Very unsuccessful papacy.

He's resigning because of health reasons...yeah, as if the last Pope was jumping all over the place in his latter years...

This is pretty historic stuff, the last Pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415 during a "papal civil war". No Pope, regardless of how frail he is has ever abdicated the Throne of St. Peter. My guess is that someone found out about some scandal that Ratzinger was involved in and blackmailed him into quitting.

Good pick.

ratzinger was always going to be a caretaker pope , he has always been a hardliner , he spoke out against pope Pauls dissolution of the vaticans prosrcibed book list early in his career , and since has continued to push the conservative line.

Lets hope there are some good investigative reporters working on this story.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#3 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

This has the makings of a great, scandalous story. Probably going to be movie or novel worthy someday.

The Church would be better off choosing someone young, liberal, and more amenable to changing the Church's hardline stances on issues like gay marriage, contraception, etc.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#4 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Damn Pope John Paul II past away that many years ago? Sure didn't seem like it :(

But I never really liked Pope Benedict.. He hasn't done much to show me that I would like him. Fool, you should be a priest until the day you die. Don't re-sign just because you're too old to run the show.

Posted Image

#5 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Damn Pope John Paul II past away that many years ago? Sure didn't seem like it :(

But I never really liked Pope Benedict.. He hasn't done much to show me that I would like him. Fool, you should be a priest until the day you die. Don't re-sign just because you're too old to run the show.

I sincerely doubt that old age and health are the true reasons for his "resignation". Ratzinger got pushed out, or was blackmailed. No doubt about it.

Go Canucks GO

#6 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

This has the makings of a great, scandalous story. Probably going to be movie or novel worthy someday.

The Church would be better off choosing someone young, liberal, and more amenable to changing the Church's hardline stances on issues like gay marriage, contraception, etc.

This is not going to happen anytime soon .
The hardliners control the curia , they will now choose a younger pope who will continue the take the church back to the "good old days ".

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#7 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

This is not going to happen anytime soon .
The hardliners control the curia , they will now choose a younger pope who will continue the take the church back to the "good old days ".

You may be right. But it doesn't take a genius to see that the Church is in dire need of real change, real accountability, and more transparency. If they don't see that, or if they continue to be willfully blind to it, then they're going to continue to lose adherents by the droves.

Go Canucks GO

#8 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

the Brazil is the biggest Catholic country on earth. this resign is having a HUGE reason to people talk about it here.
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#9 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Lets hope there are some good investigative reporters working on this story.

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. They went out with the dinosaurs.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#10 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I think this guy should be our next pope:

Posted Image
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#11 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Oh yeah absolutely!

-BananaMash

#12 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Wow. Agreed gotta be a scandal and blackmail. I hope the truth comes out.

#13 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

Spotted job hunting at a local sales office. It's the only thing he's qualified to do.
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Posted Image

Spotted job hunting at a local sales office. It's the only thing he's qualified to do.

He would make a great doorman .. Mother Church had best go outside the EU for their next Pontiff or risk losing the Church to the Evangelical movement ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#15 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

He would make a great doorman ..

Maybe, but I see it more like this:

"Hi! My name is Benny! Welcome to Walmart!"
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Maybe, but I see it more like this:

"Hi! My name is Benny! Welcome to Walmart!"

Ha ha ha ha .. damn .. how would he ever keep his vestments clean tho? .. maybe one of those plastic "one size fits all" transparent smocks? .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I sincerely doubt that old age and health are the true reasons for his "resignation". Ratzinger got pushed out, or was blackmailed. No doubt about it.

I seriously doubt it as well but if that's what he's going with, at least come up with a more believable excuse...

Posted Image

#18 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

the prophecy is coming true muhahahhaahhahaaha
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#19 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Someone who actually knows something about the Pope offering his thoughts:

http://www.johnstack...es-resignation/

Hopefully whoever replaces Benedict will stand strong against the frenetic moral relativism of the age.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#20 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,006 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

John Paul II died the same day my Dad did, how's that for weird.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#21 CanucksHomer

CanucksHomer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

the prophecy is coming true muhahahhaahhahaaha

Are you refering to this? http://en.wikipedia....cy_of_the_Popes

If the next Pope is Peter, im outta here.

#22 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Will the next Pope be Canadian? An Irish bookie firm thinks so. The favourite to wear the Shoes of the Fisherman and succeed Benny #16 is from Quebec - Cardinal Marc Ouellet.

An Irish betting house is now giving Cardinal Marc Ouellet of Quebec the shortest odds, at least in the initial running, to replace Pope Benedict XVI.

The Paddy Power bookie firm said late Monday morning it will pay 5 euros should a bettor put 2 euros on the Quebec cardinal and the Canadian cleric is then chosen for the papal succession by the upcoming meeting of the College of Cardinals.

Bettors as well as believers will know soon — after a puff of white smoke is next released from the chimney at the Sistine Chapel.

That’s expected sometime in mid to late March.

Two others considered among the front-runners by Paddy Power, a large Dublin bookmaker, are currently listed only slightly behind Cardinal Ouellet.

They are Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana and Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria.

Paddy Power lists both as 7-2, meaning a successful 2-euro bet in either case would pay off at 7 euros.

Ladbrokes, another gaming giant, has made Cardinal Turkson its front-runner, at 5-2, the same odds and potential payoff given by its Irish rival to the Quebec candidate.

Ladbrokes provides Cardinal Ouellet slightly longer odds, 3-1, thus anointing him its second-favourite papal prospect.

For that betting house, Cardinal Arinze is ranked No. 3. He’s been placed at 4-1.

In July 2010, Cardinal Ouellet, who is 68, became prefect of the Congregation of Bishops, the arm of the Vatican that makes bishop appointments around the world.

That triggered speculation that the multilingual churchman was increasingly well-positioned in the line of prospective papal succession — speculation which Cardinal Ouellet moved quickly at that time to try to quell:

“I’m surprised to be today in this position,” he told reporters at a Quebec City news conference before he relocated to his new, powerful position at the heart of the church, in Rome.

“And I don’t think that I will become a pope someday, I don’t think so,” Cardinal Ouellet added at the time.

To become pontiff, he told the Le Soleil newspaper in Quebec City in June 2011, “would be a nightmare.”

A pope’s duties, he added, “are perhaps not very enviable.”

And a pope’s responsibilities “are crushing,” he said.

A pope “has the help of the Holy Spirit, clearly,” Cardinal Ouellet said, “but it is a very heavy responsibility. Nobody campaigns for that.”

Cardinal Ouellet set off a firestorm of controversy in May 2010, telling an anti-abortion conference in Quebec City that terminating a pregnancy is a “moral crime,” even in cases where a woman has been raped.

His comments provoked harsh rebukes from several womens’ rights organizations — and also from Parti Québécois leader Pauline Marois, who last September became Quebec’s first woman premier.

Cardinal Ouellet subsequently sought to “clarify” his statements.

He said that while he does not condone abortion, he does not condemn women who resort to it. The cardinal has also been an outspoken opponent of euthanasia, equating secular support in Quebec for abortion and euthanasia as a celebration of a “culture of death.”

Cardinal Ouellet, born in the Abitibi region, is said by John Allen, who writes from Rome for the U.S. National Catholic Reporter, to be fluent in six languages — French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, German and Italian.

The decision by Pope Benedict to resign on February 28, announced Monday, sets the stage for the Vatican to hold a conclave to elect a new pope by mid-March. The traditional period of mourning that would follow the death of a pope doesn’t have to be observed.

Observers told The Associated Press that while there are a number papal contenders in the wings, there is no obvious front-runner.

Those are similar to the circumstances in 2005, following the death of Pope John Paul II.

Pope Benedict was elected pontiff at age 78, making him the oldest pontiff elected in nearly 300 years. Before his elevation, he had been planning to retire as the Vatican’s chief orthodoxy watchdog, to spend his final years writing in what he called the “peace and quiet” of his native Bavaria.

Apart from cardinals Ouellet, Turkson and Arinze, other contenders for the papal succession whose names quickly emerged include Cardinal Angelo Scola, archbishop of Milan, and Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn, the archbishop of Vienna. Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York is considered a long shot.

All cardinals under age 80 are allowed to vote in the conclave, the closed-door meeting held in the Sistine Chapel where cardinals cast ballots to elect a new pope.

Tradition calls for the ballots to be burned after each voting round.

Black smoke that snakes out of the chimney means no pope has been chosen.

White smoke means a new pope has been elected.

Popes are allowed to resign.

Roman Catholic Church law specifies only that the resignation be “freely made and properly manifested.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Cardinal+Marc+Ouellet+Quebec+best+odds+become+pope+Irish+betting+house+Paddy+Power/7947591/story.html#ixzz2Kd7SKUmz
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#23 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hope the door hits you on the way out Emperor Palpatine!

This one pope in particular really earned his bulletproof bubble. Now he needs a retirement bubble.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 11 February 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#24 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Probably got tired of defending all the priests that molested and raped the children in the catholic church.
Don't blame him.
Posted Image

#25 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

John Paul II died the same day my Dad did, how's that for weird.

And I lost a brother the same day. Must be the new trinity...

-BananaMash

#26 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Posted Image
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#27 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Frenetic moral relativisms roff

For some reason betting on who will be the next pope is hilarious

Posted Image

#28 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

I mean are we really going to call advocating condoms so people don't die of horrible diseases moral relativism now

Posted Image

#29 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Posted Image

He always was slightly creepy and evil looking.
Posted Image

#30 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Moved the Catholic Church backwards and undid what good Pope John Paul did.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.