The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Benedict XVI to resign at the end of the month.

Canuckerbird

University of Texas finance professor StephenMagee has calculated that each U.S. lawyer drains the economyof an average of $1 million a year in productivity.If Magee is right, those leeches now suck some three-quarters of a trillion dollars out of the US economy annually.

Somewhat misleading in respect of the opinion and research on the issue by Dr. Stephen Magee. Actually he found lawyers on balance to be a positive force despite the oversupply in the US. In Canada there is no such over supply.

The truth is that the US does have too many lawyers: out of 50 countries only Uruguay has more lawyers per capita than the US. Why so many? Lawyers have always lobbied Congress and state legislatures to artificially increase the demand for lawyers and to permit frivolous lawsuits. We know that lawyers have excessive political influence: 41% of the US Congress are lawyers, the 2nd highest percentage in the world, which is eight times greater than the lawyer percentage of the US professional labor force.

Unfortunately, there are negative economic consequences of having too many lawyers. My research shows that there is an economic optimum ratio of lawyers to population. That research across 27 countries and over a 40 year time period shows that the US has 1/3 too many lawyers. As a result, spurious lawsuits and excessive litigation, subtracts 7 percent a year from US national income, which is $1 trillion a year from our $15 trillion economy.

In contrast, 2/3 of US lawyers add positively to our economy by protecting property, facilitating transactions and reducing crime. This 2/3 of American lawyers adds 36% a year to our economy, Which is $5 trillion a year in a $15 trillion economy.

W.C. Fields once joked that some lawyers are good and some lawyers are bad but we don't need any of them. Well, he was wrong: two-thirds of American lawyers are a positive force in the US economy.

http://wamc.org/post/dr-stephen-magee-university-texas-austin-too-many-lawyers' rel="external nofollow">

So a judge would slap me down for presenting evidence that supports my case , and not presenting evidence that would be detrimental to my case ?

But lets get back on topic

Oullet seems to be another hardliner here are some comments he made that were reported in the national post august 19th 2009

Ouellet believes that many Catholics interpreted the teachings of the Second Vatican Council in far too liberal a way and by doing so disconnected from the core of their faith. Relativism led to priests abandoning celibacy, a drop in proper religious education, and a general infusion of leftist politics — all of which was not the intention of the council. Ouellet stated: “After the council, the sense of mission was replaced by the idea of dialogue. That we should dialogue with other faiths and not attempt to bring them the Gospels, to convert. Since then, relativism has been developing more broadly.”

A judge would slap you down for misrepresenting the evidence. It would also be a serious offence under Law Society rules to mislead or attempt to mislead a judge in court.

A lawyer should not attempt to deceive a court or tribunal by offering false evidence or by misstating facts or law and should not, either in argument to the judge or in address to the jury, assert a personal belief in an accused's guilt or innocence, in the justice or merits of the client's cause or in the evidence tendered before the court.

I have no idea what Ouellet stands for but if your characterization is accurate it sounds as if he is unlikely to be a force for change or serious reform.

Sorry. I can't put any stock in a quote from a rapper... ;)

Truth is, 'Coaster and I generally see eye to eye on most things, but it doesn't mean that I won't occasionally throw in a little good-natured dig about lawyers.

It also doesn't mean that I buy into the stereotype of all lawyers being heartless, opportunists out to take advantage of other's misfortune. I have several friends in the legal field and they are all good people.

Archived