The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Benedict XVI to resign at the end of the month.

Canuckerbird

A central feature of Canada’s legal system is that the public has the right to obtain legal advice and be represented by a legal profession that is independent of the government. For that reason, our laws provide for the self-regulation of the legal profession

From the federation of law socities Canada website

Really,,,google "lawyers behaving badly" returns 302,000 results...

Here's a few highlights:

http://www2.macleans...behaving-badly/

"Canadian law societies have required lawyers to be “of good character”

(Interesting - that includes how the act in public including on an internet forum).

http://online.wsj.co...3099255320.html

http://blogs.wsj.com...behaving-badly/

"Before we hit the highlight reel, recall last week’s charges against a lawyer for allegedly creating a fake law firm and then stealing $9 million from the company he represented, and a Florida judge’spublic apology two weeks ago for long smoke breaks, habitual tardiness and an inappropriate religious comment in the courtroom."

Huh...so anyone in the "law" profession shouldn't be making inappropriate religious comments...nor should they be belittling anyone - you know, like telling them they have "blind faith" or saying they are "unenlightened"...

Sounds more and more like the Catholic Church to me - Catholics aren't supposed to do this nor that - yet they do....just like lawyers...

I guess everyone is just human after all.

No offense to anyone .. BUT .. "self-regulation" means you, as an entity, have corrupted the Government to the point that the Government is allowing YOU to write your own Regulation and resultant penalties ..

The very thought of "SELF REGULATION" is the highest level of corruption imaginable .. if you condone "self-regulation", you are a Coporate shill in a lambs clothing .. plain and simple .. :)

how did a thread on the pope turn into an attack on self regulated professions?

self regulation seems to work quite well for lawyers. (i hear the immigration professionals aren't doing so hot though). bad outliers give the entire profession a bad name (not to mention make insurance rates rise) so it's in the profession's best interest to discourage bad behaviour. the law soc circulates a discipline digest to all members listing out who's been a bad girl/boy. the public, however, can access what fines/suspensions have been issued through the website.

how did a thread on the pope turn into an attack on self regulated professions?

self regulation seems to work quite well for lawyers. (i hear the immigration professionals aren't doing so hot though). bad outliers give the entire profession a bad name (not to mention make insurance rates rise) so it's in the profession's best interest to discourage bad behaviour. the law soc circulates a discipline digest to all members listing out who's been a bad girl/boy. the public, however, can access what fines/suspensions have been issued through the website.

Cause you know every case in every juristiction, in every country? You are saying what Ratio said has never happened in BC? Give me a break, you saying that = zero credibility. Just stop man really, it's way past embarrassing, you don't know everything about everything period.

too much fight for religion. why?

why this racism if the next Pope could be black? he´s black not an Alien! black, white, yellow or green the person is a human being like you and me.

my favorite Formula-1 drive is black (Lewis Hamilton) and that makes Lewis less driver than Michael Schumacher? NO!

many people trying to say what is the most correct law, who is correct and who´s wrong. and just because a guy said "ok. I´m done". now the world fights to be correct about who will be the next Pope. it´s a person, not a God.

is a person, like you and me. not a God...

Archived