Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Pope Benedict XVI to resign at the end of the month.

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#91 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I did not provide false evidence , i presented the facts that i was aware of .
Are you saying that the information i provided was erroneous ?

It is relatively easy to find out what Oullets views are .

So then you would be guilty of professional negligence for failing to do basic legal research.

The manner in which it was presented misrepresented the research conclusions.

I am not all that interested in Ouelett's views.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#92 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Sorry. I can't put any stock in a quote from a rapper... ;)

Truth is, 'Coaster and I generally see eye to eye on most things, but it doesn't mean that I won't occasionally throw in a little good-natured dig about lawyers.

It also doesn't mean that I buy into the stereotype of all lawyers being heartless, opportunists out to take advantage of other's misfortune. I have several friends in the legal field and they are all good people.

No matter who uttered those words , you must see the fundamental truth in them Rupert B)

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#93 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Jerry Sandusky is the replacement?
Posted Image

#94 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Again your are under a fundamental misapprehension about lawyers.

If you tried to mislead like that a judge would slap you down and you could face sanctions by the Law Society.

Wait a moment....there are a lot of bad lawyers out there...seems to me the law society is covering this up as best as they can - kind of like the Catholic Church.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#95 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

So then you would be guilty of professional negligence for failing to do basic legal research.

The manner in which it was presented misrepresented the research conclusions.

I am not all that interested in Ouelett's views.

Thank you for enlightening me on your corrupt justice system.

If you are not interested in his views why were you the one who introduced him into this thread ?

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#96 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wait a moment....there are a lot of bad lawyers out there...seems to me the law society is covering this up as best as they can - kind of like the Catholic Church.

Right on heretic , funny how both lawyers and the church are self regulating and both defy attempts by others to change this fact.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#97 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

No, you are in error as it applies in BC.

Actually in BC lawyer's discipline cases are public with very few exceptions - unlike the majority of say police officers, teachers or doctors who are disciplined.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#98 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Right on heretic , funny how both lawyers and the church are self regulating and both defy attempts by others to change this fact.

Except that is incorrect in BC as I have pointed out to you in the past. See post above.

#99 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for enlightening me on your corrupt justice system.

If you are not interested in his views why were you the one who introduced him into this thread ?

Nothing corrupt I can see about not allowing counsel to mislead a court or tribunal. In fact it is the exact opposite as it promotes ethical action and behaviour.

Despite my best efforts you remain unenlightened.

#100 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

This thread is so entertaining. I'm sure I'm not he only one who finds it so.

#101 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Nothing corrupt I can see about not allowing counsel to mislead a court or tribunal. In fact it is the exact opposite as it promotes ethical action and behaviour.

Despite my best efforts you remain unenlightened.

A central feature of Canada’s legal system is that the public has the right to obtain legal advice and be represented by a legal profession that is independent of the government. For that reason, our laws provide for the self-regulation of the legal profession

From the federation of law socities Canada website

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#102 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

A central feature of Canada’s legal system is that the public has the right to obtain legal advice and be represented by a legal profession that is independent of the government. For that reason, our laws provide for the self-regulation of the legal profession

From the federation of law socities Canada website

Yes and????

Self-regulation is a common feature of professions.

#103 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

No, you are in error as it applies in BC.

Actually in BC lawyer's discipline cases are public with very few exceptions - unlike the majority of say police officers, teachers or doctors who are disciplined.

Really,,,google "lawyers behaving badly" returns 302,000 results...

Here's a few highlights:

http://www2.macleans...behaving-badly/

"Canadian law societies have required lawyers to be “of good character”
(Interesting - that includes how the act in public including on an internet forum).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323539804578263733099255320.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/06/22/attorneys-and-judges-behaving-badly/

"Before we hit the highlight reel, recall last week’s charges against a lawyer for allegedly creating a fake law firm and then stealing $9 million from the company he represented, and a Florida judge’spublic apology two weeks ago for long smoke breaks, habitual tardiness and an inappropriate religious comment in the courtroom."

Huh...so anyone in the "law" profession shouldn't be making inappropriate religious comments...nor should they be belittling anyone - you know, like telling them they have "blind faith" or saying they are "unenlightened"...

Sounds more and more like the Catholic Church to me - Catholics aren't supposed to do this nor that - yet they do....just like lawyers...

I guess everyone is just human after all.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#104 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Really,,,google "lawyers behaving badly" returns 302,000 results...

Here's a few highlights:

http://www2.macleans...behaving-badly/

"Canadian law societies have required lawyers to be “of good character”
(Interesting - that includes how the act in public including on an internet forum).

http://online.wsj.co...3099255320.html

http://blogs.wsj.com...behaving-badly/

"Before we hit the highlight reel, recall last week’s charges against a lawyer for allegedly creating a fake law firm and then stealing $9 million from the company he represented, and a Florida judge’spublic apology two weeks ago for long smoke breaks, habitual tardiness and an inappropriate religious comment in the courtroom."

Huh...so anyone in the "law" profession shouldn't be making inappropriate religious comments...nor should they be belittling anyone - you know, like telling them they have "blind faith" or saying they are "unenlightened"...

Sounds more and more like the Catholic Church to me - Catholics aren't supposed to do this nor that - yet they do....just like lawyers...

I guess everyone is just human after all.

I have no idea what the procedures are in other jurisdictions which is why I specified BC - a jurisdiction with which I am familiar.

#105 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Jerry Sandusky is the replacement?

I've heard Luongos name being kicked around.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#106 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Yes and????

Self-regulation is a common feature of professions.

After some research i could only find five self regulated professions, out of the hundreds of professions in canada

Self–Regulated Professions — Post-Study Assessment

Introduction

In December 2007, the Competition Bureau (the "Bureau") released a study on Self-Regulated Professions: Balancing Competition and Regulation (the "Professions Study").1 In addition to developing a discussion on competition issues and general principles pertaining to the interface between the competitive supply of professional services and regulation, the Professions Study examined the regulation of five self-regulating professions (accountants, lawyers, optometrists, pharmacists and real estate agents), with the objective of identifying measures that may be unnecessarily restricting the benefits of competition for Canadians.
The Professions Study outlined 53 recommendations, which were communicated to self-regulating professional bodies across the country for each of the professions covered by the Professions Study. The self-regulating professions considered in the Professions Study were challenged to re-examine the restrictions identified, and to remove those that were not clearly required to protect the public interest. The purpose of this Post-Study Assessment is to review and assess progress made in implementing the recommendations contained in the Professions Study since its release in 2007.

I would not call 5 out of hundreds common .

Self regulation is often biased as is the case with the legal profession.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#107 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

No offense to anyone .. BUT .. "self-regulation" means you, as an entity, have corrupted the Government to the point that the Government is allowing YOU to write your own Regulation and resultant penalties ..

The very thought of "SELF REGULATION" is the highest level of corruption imaginable .. if you condone "self-regulation", you are a Coporate shill in a lambs clothing .. plain and simple .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#108 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

how did a thread on the pope turn into an attack on self regulated professions?

self regulation seems to work quite well for lawyers. (i hear the immigration professionals aren't doing so hot though). bad outliers give the entire profession a bad name (not to mention make insurance rates rise) so it's in the profession's best interest to discourage bad behaviour. the law soc circulates a discipline digest to all members listing out who's been a bad girl/boy. the public, however, can access what fines/suspensions have been issued through the website.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#109 Birdsong

Birdsong

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

He pulled out like a good Catholic.

Bad-um-bum-tss.

Where were we?

#110 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

self regulation seems to work quite well for lawyers. (i hear the immigration professionals aren't doing so hot though). bad outliers give the entire profession a bad name (not to mention make insurance rates rise) so it's in the profession's best interest to discourage bad behaviour. the law soc circulates a discipline digest to all members listing out who's been a bad girl/boy. the public, however, can access what fines/suspensions have been issued through the website.

You obviously have not had to deal with a malfeasant lawyer.

Self regulation works extremely well for the lawyers , but not for the victims of malfeasant lawyers.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#111 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Very good question! I seem to recall someone very recently saying they were always on-topic. Who was that now....?

Edited by inane, 13 February 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#112 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

He pulled out like a good Catholic.

Bad-um-bum-tss.

Where were we?

Ha ha ha .. cracked me up .. "good one, Centurion" .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#113 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

You obviously have not had to deal with a malfeasant lawyer.

Self regulation works extremely well for the lawyers , but not for the victims of malfeasant lawyers.

That has not been the case in BC.

#114 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

That has not been the case in BC.

Cause you know every case in every juristiction, in every country? You are saying what Ratio said has never happened in BC? Give me a break, you saying that = zero credibility. Just stop man really, it's way past embarrassing, you don't know everything about everything period.
Posted Image

#115 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Cause you know every case in every juristiction, in every country? You are saying what Ratio said has never happened in BC? Give me a break, you saying that = zero credibility. Just stop man really, it's way past embarrassing, you don't know everything about everything period.

Which is why I have been clear that I am limiting my comments to BC.

#116 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

too much fight for religion. why?

why this racism if the next Pope could be black? hes black not an Alien! black, white, yellow or green the person is a human being like you and me.

my favorite Formula-1 drive is black (Lewis Hamilton) and that makes Lewis less driver than Michael Schumacher? NO!

many people trying to say what is the most correct law, who is correct and whos wrong. and just because a guy said "ok. Im done". now the world fights to be correct about who will be the next Pope. its a person, not a God.

is a person, like you and me. not a God...
Shup up and fly! youre not payed to think, youre payed to fly!

#117 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Someone is upset with the decision of Pope Benny #16 to step down. Just hours after the announcement lightning struck the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica.

Posted Image

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...esignation.html

#118 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Which is why I have been clear that I am limiting my comments to BC.

So you know it for a fact no one in BC has ever been taken advatage of by a "malfeasant lawyer"? (as ratio puts it) My hallucination is you can not say yes to that question and be telling the truth.
Posted Image

#119 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

So you know it for a fact no one in BC has ever been taken advatage of by a "malfeasant lawyer"? (as ratio puts it) My hallucination is you can not say yes to that question and be telling the truth.

Yes, it has occurred and the Law Society of BC has systems and processes in place to deal with such things.

#120 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yes, it has occurred and the Law Society of BC has systems and processes in place to deal with such things.

So no BC lawyer has ever gotten away with it? The system and processes are flawless I suppose?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.