The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Both Luongo and Schneider are Right-Handed Shot; Explains their poor puck handling skills?

Rbk

There's really 2 different ways to play around with handedness.

First, most players who are right, use their blocker on their right. The reason being that you hold your stick with your dominant hand. Same reason 90% of people in the NHL shoot opposite of their dominant hand, so when they're hustling with 1 hand on their stick, or playing defence, you have your dominant hand controlling the stick.

If you played goalie and were right handed, and also caught right handed. You would have an easier time puck handling, but your blocker side would be weaker.

Really it comes down to what's natural when you started.

a lot of goalies dont want the puck handling catching gloves either. it can make a huge difference for creating a stable base at the top of the stick to give you leverage. My guess is lu/schneids dont have the cheater pockets on their gloves for stickhandling as it can cause some funny rebounds and dropped pucks.

It is most likely the reason .

I play goalie myself, I catch left with my blocker hand on my right. As a player I shoot left so with my bottom hand on the stick being my left hand I was always comfortable shooting the puck as a goalie.

I can't imagine a right handed shot trying to play as left . I know some of my buddies usually just stick their

glove hand on the knob and their blocker hand on the lower part forcing you to shoot backhand.

I don't know many people that catch left and are left handed unless they start training themselves at a very young age. I'm right handed and thus learned to catch with my left hand since I throw and shoot with my right. I cannot catch with my right hand.

That being said my father, who is right handed and throws with his right hand/catches with his left, golfs right, hits right in baseball, but shoots left. Weirdest thing ever.

I've been a goaltender for my whole life and I do everything with right handedly but in net I've learned to shoot with my left and I handle and shoot the puck just fine. The reason they dont handle the puck well is because with the limits on where the goaltenders can play the puck there is less value in being able to handle the puck well.

Haha me too! I think I'd be a great puck handler if I played goalie but would probably be just a mediocre one like Turco is now :P

That's cuz Luongo has his pads that limit his arm mobility and technique to shoot the puck harder. Let's see you crank it up over 60km/h with goalie equipment on.

Archived