72 replies to this topic

#1 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'm 29 next month, right now I'm on EI after losing my job 6 months ago, I still have no real career path or solid post education behind me. Everytime I look into potential careers, I always hear the same things, the competition is fierce, finding a job is hard, it's very stressful, the schooling costs are way too high or it causes long term health problems. Its at the point where I don't even care how much money I make, I just want to be on track to make a proper income to support a family and be happy doing it, why does this seem like such a hard thing to do? It's so demotivating to be on the outside looking in and seeing how stressed people are with their jobs. Has anyone else had this experiance and what they did to find and get into a career they enjoy?

#2 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

What do you love to do, Hank? What are your interests and hobbies? What are you good at? Once you have the answers to those questions, look into careers based around what you do well. Hopefully, it's not smoking dope, drinking beer and playing video games! :lol:

Some post-secondary education should be in the cards, too. I didn't graduate from UBC until I was 30 because I got kicked out when I was 21. Started teaching right away after grad in 1998. It's never too late.

If you are just looking for a "job", work anywhere the pay is decent. A career is way different. Whatever you choose, make sure you like what you are doing. Sometimes, being happy is more important than a few more bucks an hour.

Good luck, dude! ::D

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#3 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the help. Money isn't really a huge issue, I have no problem just getting by as long as I can meet the essentials plus a little extra. You say you are a teacher? How do you like it?

Edited by hsedin33, 11 February 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#4 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Depends what you like to do. Do you like working with your hands? Try plumbing/electrician. Do you like helping people who are mentally ill or in need of help? Try community support worker. The list goes on and on. Depends what you really like.

I think a good job for a person is that in which you are enjoy, then it doesn't feel like a job.

#5 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

for the time being, pay is good in construction, which requires no education.

Career is different, it would help if you mentioned your interests.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#6 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

What type of job you trying to get away from?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#7 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'd like a job where I can help people, educate, I'd like to work in a quiet enviroment where its positive or I can contribute in a positive way. Jobs I've been tossing around are like a massage therapist or teacher, I'm in the process of completing a group fitness course so I can teach boot camps and stuff like that. I used to be a really good martial arts instructor, not sure its a career though. So in general, I'd like to stay active, and contribute positively to peoples lives is where I seem to be leaning.

#8 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Can't recall seeing any male massage therapists but there were a few physio therapists that I used that were male. Something to think about depending on your gender.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#9 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I started law school when I was 29.

#10 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'd like a job where I can help people, educate, I'd like to work in a quiet enviroment where its positive or I can contribute in a positive way. Jobs I've been tossing around are like a massage therapist or teacher, I'm in the process of completing a group fitness course so I can teach boot camps and stuff like that. I used to be a really good martial arts instructor, not sure its a career though. So in general, I'd like to stay active, and contribute positively to peoples lives is where I seem to be leaning.

well, to become a teacher in BC you need a full 4 year degree: either a Bachelor of Education or another Bachelor degree plus a Post Degree Development Program

To teach post secondary you typically need a PhD

For teaching young children, an Early Childhood Education diploma can be completed in two years

Edit: sorry, I just scanned your post and saw the words 'educate' and 'teacher' and gave the typical canned response. being a martial arts instructor would be a perfectly viable career, I think. you could open your own dojo?

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 11 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#11 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Martial Arts is a good choice. You could open up your own studio...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#12 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

I had buddies who gave themselves a 1 year plan working up north (Either on the rigs, pipeline or construction) They went up, made a bunch of money, came back debt free with some money put away to start/finish schooling.

I am also going back to school (28 this year) after a 5 year Army career that didn't really give me any civilian skills (besides looking good on a resume) For awhile I felt bad because I thought I was starting my career 'too late' but lots of people don't find their forever careers right away, or they work at a job they have absolutely hated since they were 20/21.

My brother in law is a machinist, so i picked his brain about that for a couple days during the holidays and that is what I will be taking at SAIT this fall! Looks interesting.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#13 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Does early childhood education cover Preschool to grade 7? Also off the top of your head what schools in BC would offer that course? Opening a dojo would be fun though too.

#14 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Does early childhood education cover Preschool to grade 7? Also off the top of your head what schools in BC would offer that course? Opening a dojo would be fun though too.

Douglas College in New West has ECE
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#15 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Preschool and kindergarten only, I think

#16 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

i'm still (back) in school, half the people in most of my classes are either returning students, or back for a second degree, or 40+ years old

you're never too old. especially these days with the whole prolonged adolescence thing that's sweeping across the western world.

30 is the new 20 for many people, sad as it may seem, it's a lot more common than you think

dont worry about a thang

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#17 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Just curious. Are there any plumbers in the house? Its the only trade I think I would consider.

Edited by hsedin33, 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#18 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

i'm still (back) in school, half the people in most of my classes are either returning students, or back for a second degree, or 40+ years old

you're never too old. especially these days with the whole prolonged adolescence thing that's sweeping across the western world.

30 is the new 20 for many people, sad as it may seem, it's a lot more common than you think

dont worry about a thang

nice. thanks!

#19 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the help. Money isn't really a huge issue, I have no problem just getting by as long as I can meet the essentials plus a little extra. You say you are a teacher? How do you like it?

Teaching is the bomb, Hank. I love it! There is so much more to it than most people realize, though. Lots of politics and paper pushing. It's not just about lessons and marking.

If you genuinely enjoy being around kids and enjoy their company, go for it. It's quite a bit of post sec, though. I have a 4 year BHK from UBC and a 2 year BEd, also from UBC. Sounds like teaching Phys. Ed. might be up your alley? ECE is pre-school stuff and does not include K. K-3 is a Primary Ed. focus, at least it was at UBC. Langara used to have a good ECE program.

#20 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just curious. Are there any plumbers in the house? Its the only trade I think I would consider.

An acquaintance of mine teaches the Plumbing program up here in Dawson Creek at Northern Lights College. He says if you want to make tons of bucks and don't mind being around human waste a lot, you will be busy until the day you retire.

#21 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Teaching is the bomb, Hank. I love it! There is so much more to it than most people realize, though. Lots of politics and paper pushing. It's not just about lessons and marking.

If you genuinely enjoy being around kids and enjoy their company, go for it. It's quite a bit of post sec, though. I have a 4 year BHK from UBC and a 2 year BEd, also from UBC. Sounds like teaching Phys. Ed. might be up your alley? ECE is pre-school stuff and does not include K. K-3 is a Primary Ed. focus, at least it was at UBC. Langara used to have a good ECE program.

What grade(s) do you teach? I used to teach karate to groups of 40+ kids of all ages. They seemed to love me. Thing is I'm 29 next month, would it be too late to start considering all the schooling?

#22 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

An acquaintance of mine teaches the Plumbing program up here in Dawson Creek at Northern Lights College. He says if you want to make tons of bucks and don't mind being around human waste a lot, you will be busy until the day you retire.

Interesting. It seems like there is a lot of different areas a plumber can work in. I'm assuming he's referring to like a traditional house plumber who fixes toilets and stuff?

#23 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Interesting. It seems like there is a lot of different areas a plumber can work in. I'm assuming he's referring to like a traditional house plumber who fixes toilets and stuff?

House guys? Sure. When the sh!t leaves the toilet, it has to go somewhere... the big freakin' pipes under the street, dude! You gotta start somewhere, though. Houses, malls, airports, sewer systems of big cities... they all have pipes that need to be installed and maintained.

#24 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

What grade(s) do you teach? I used to teach karate to groups of 40+ kids of all ages. They seemed to love me. Thing is I'm 29 next month, would it be too late to start considering all the schooling?

I teach Grade 8 and 9 right now at DCSS. Science, Math and Music. I have taught every subject in Grade 7-9 in my 15 year career, so far. As GLASSJAW and I said earlier, it's never too late to start. If you start teaching when you are 35 and really love it, you could teach 'til you're 65 and receive a full pension.

#25 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hang in there, bud, you're not the only one. There are lots of us going back to school, or who have not figured out what we want to do for the rest of our lives.

I'm going back to school too (I'm 27) and currently teaching to save a little coin before I go. I still haven't quite figured out what I'd like to do, and have been trying some career counselling to find a good fit. For me, the problem is that I'm not really, really good at one very specific thing. I'm quite good at a quite a few things, so narrowing it down can be hard.

From what I've figured out so far, start by eliminating careers that include doing things you definitely know you DON'T want to do. For me, for example, I know I could never do a sales job that involved selling a product I didn't believe in. I've done that before when I was a poor student, and I felt scummy, as if I was ripping people off (to be fair the product wasn't terrible, but most definitely not worth the price).

Once you've got that figured, the best advice I can give is just to go out and start trying stuff. It's really hard to know what interests you until you give it a try. People change careers/education paths all the time. Someone I know, for example, tried his hand at something like 6-7 career paths/jobs before realizing he wanted to be a Psychologist specializing in brain wave therapy. Go figure. He found out by volunteering to be a test subject while he was in school for something else, hahaha. Took a keen interest in psychology and the rest is history, as they say.

Good luck, don't be discouraged. No experience is bad experience or a waste of time. All the life experience you've garnered so far is useful.

RIP LB RR PD

#26 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

nice. thanks!

My dad has been a plumber for around 25 years. What would you like to know?

#27 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have a lot of friends who are out of work, and have been out of work for a long time.

I was laid off from work in 2008, became self employed and while I struggled at first, I'm finally making enough to pay rent and buy food. Unless it is a lot of pay I'll never take another job again.

You said you were a martial arts instructor. MMA is in yo! In the long run, I believe you should adapt your martial arts to MMA and learn to teach that. Even NHL hockey players are getting MMA training. I foresee that eventually MMA will be more popular than all the other instructions of martial arts / self defense. A lot of people are gonna want to learn it. There is a lot of career flexibility with that. You can work for a studio, or you can branch out on your own, or both. If you do it for a while and do well, you will make a name for yourself and make a good income.

In the short run perhaps you would need a McJob to get by. But in the long run I really think you should look into becoming a MMA instructor.

Good luck!

Edited by CB007, 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image

#28 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I encourage you to live your dreams. Just apply everywhere you can. It's better, if you move to the States, because tax rate is low, and there are many more job opportunities than there are in Canada.
Posted Image

#29 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

get a welding ticket then boot it up north. lowest wage i seen for a welder was $40 up there. work your 1 year than do what you want to do

#30 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Sexy hotel maid.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.