The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

28, Looking for a Career, need help

hsedin33

I'm 29 next month, right now I'm on EI after losing my job 6 months ago, I still have no real career path or solid post education behind me. Everytime I look into potential careers, I always hear the same things, the competition is fierce, finding a job is hard, it's very stressful, the schooling costs are way too high or it causes long term health problems. Its at the point where I don't even care how much money I make, I just want to be on track to make a proper income to support a family and be happy doing it, why does this seem like such a hard thing to do? It's so demotivating to be on the outside looking in and seeing how stressed people are with their jobs. Has anyone else had this experiance and what they did to find and get into a career they enjoy?

What do you love to do, Hank? What are your interests and hobbies? What are you good at? Once you have the answers to those questions, look into careers based around what you do well. Hopefully, it's not smoking dope, drinking beer and playing video games! :lol:

Some post-secondary education should be in the cards, too. I didn't graduate from UBC until I was 30 because I got kicked out when I was 21. Started teaching right away after grad in 1998. It's never too late.

If you are just looking for a "job", work anywhere the pay is decent. A career is way different. Whatever you choose, make sure you like what you are doing. Sometimes, being happy is more important than a few more bucks an hour.

Good luck, dude! ::D

Depends what you like to do. Do you like working with your hands? Try plumbing/electrician. Do you like helping people who are mentally ill or in need of help? Try community support worker. The list goes on and on. Depends what you really like.

I think a good job for a person is that in which you are enjoy, then it doesn't feel like a job.

I'd like a job where I can help people, educate, I'd like to work in a quiet enviroment where its positive or I can contribute in a positive way. Jobs I've been tossing around are like a massage therapist or teacher, I'm in the process of completing a group fitness course so I can teach boot camps and stuff like that. I used to be a really good martial arts instructor, not sure its a career though. So in general, I'd like to stay active, and contribute positively to peoples lives is where I seem to be leaning.

I'd like a job where I can help people, educate, I'd like to work in a quiet enviroment where its positive or I can contribute in a positive way. Jobs I've been tossing around are like a massage therapist or teacher, I'm in the process of completing a group fitness course so I can teach boot camps and stuff like that. I used to be a really good martial arts instructor, not sure its a career though. So in general, I'd like to stay active, and contribute positively to peoples lives is where I seem to be leaning.

I had buddies who gave themselves a 1 year plan working up north (Either on the rigs, pipeline or construction) They went up, made a bunch of money, came back debt free with some money put away to start/finish schooling.

I am also going back to school (28 this year) after a 5 year Army career that didn't really give me any civilian skills (besides looking good on a resume) For awhile I felt bad because I thought I was starting my career 'too late' but lots of people don't find their forever careers right away, or they work at a job they have absolutely hated since they were 20/21.

My brother in law is a machinist, so i picked his brain about that for a couple days during the holidays and that is what I will be taking at SAIT this fall! Looks interesting.

i'm still (back) in school, half the people in most of my classes are either returning students, or back for a second degree, or 40+ years old

you're never too old. especially these days with the whole prolonged adolescence thing that's sweeping across the western world.

30 is the new 20 for many people, sad as it may seem, it's a lot more common than you think

dont worry about a thang

i'm still (back) in school, half the people in most of my classes are either returning students, or back for a second degree, or 40+ years old

you're never too old. especially these days with the whole prolonged adolescence thing that's sweeping across the western world.

30 is the new 20 for many people, sad as it may seem, it's a lot more common than you think

dont worry about a thang

Archived