The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

28, Looking for a Career, need help

hsedin33

If your interested in a trade but don 't know if you'll like it I reccomend a trades exploration program. The course at BCIT allows you to try a variety of trades for a few weeks each so you can see for yourself if you have the interest and aptitude to continue. Along with that, a portion of your tuition is applied to your next course and you get fast tracked through the application process. From what I have heard many entry level courses have waiting list up to a few years so that advantage alone is worth the trouble.

I'm in my 2nd year of University and I'm already changing what I want to do lol. I wanted to go into Pharmacy, but my GPA is too low for that, but luckily, high for a lot of other things. I was thinking of Psychology, as I loved it in High school and in the classes I'm in now. I also seem to be obsessed with serial killers (I know almost every real life reference that shows like Criminal Minds make). I do not want to be a Psychologist or counselor though, but am leaning more towards experimenting with development, brain research, or even becoming a profiler.

I just hope I can narrow it down before I hit 40 haha.

I'm in my 2nd year of University and I'm already changing what I want to do lol. I wanted to go into Pharmacy, but my GPA is too low for that, but luckily, high for a lot of other things. I was thinking of Psychology, as I loved it in High school and in the classes I'm in now. I also seem to be obsessed with serial killers (I know almost every real life reference that shows like Criminal Minds make). I do not want to be a Psychologist or counselor though, but am leaning more towards experimenting with development, brain research, or even becoming a profiler.

I just hope I can narrow it down before I hit 40 haha.

Furthering your education is not always the answer. I "took a year off school" ended up in retail progressing through the ranks. I am now a manager of a box store that treats their people right and pays a great wage. It is the least stressful job and I am enjoying every second of it. Now not all retail is that good, however; it can be found! I don't regret my decision for a second as I am having a lot more fun and making more money than most of my friends who went to university.

Furthering your education is not always the answer. I "took a year off school" ended up in retail progressing through the ranks. I am now a manager of a box store that treats their people right and pays a great wage. It is the least stressful job and I am enjoying every second of it. Now not all retail is that good, however; it can be found! I don't regret my decision for a second as I am having a lot more fun and making more money than most of my friends who went to university.

$72,000 base. An average of $8,000 bonus. Full benefits, 6 weeks vacation. Plus other perks. Granted I have been in management for over a decade. I am fully aware that there are university graduates who make much more than I do. That said I see a lot of my friends who struggle to find a job or work as a teacher putting in many more hours than I do for far less and very large loans to repay. At the end of the day the money is nice but I do what I love. Leading a team of other managers and associates for a kick ass company is my dream job. I never wake up not wanting to go to work. I get to have a major impact on the career development of everyone working for me. I love it!

How much do you get paid, may I ask? I want to compare your wages to those of university graduates with jobs.

$72,000 base. An average of $8,000 bonus. Full benefits, 6 weeks vacation. Plus other perks. Granted I have been in management for over a decade. I am fully aware that there are university graduates who make much more than I do. That said I see a lot of my friends who struggle to find a job or work as a teacher putting in many more hours than I do for far less and very large loans to repay. At the end of the day the money is nice but I do what I love. Leading a team of other managers and associates for a kick ass company is my dream job. I never wake up not wanting to go to work. I get to have a major impact on the career development of everyone working for me. I love it!

I am not sure what country your living in but if its Canada you are talking about you are dead wrong.

My hourly wage in 2012: $38.46

Average Canadian in 2012: $25.12

The following are averages for careers that need more than a high school degree.

Architect: $30, RN: $34, Physiotherapist: $34, computer engineer: $35, Lawyer: $40, engineering manager: $43, Dentist: $70.

So yes of course there are much higher paying jobs, however it is not necessary to furthar your education to get a very well paying job. At my current trend I will be making $100,000 in the next 3 years and hope to be near 120,000 in 7 years.

Again I am not doing what I do for the money. I do it because I love the job. Going to school just to get a degree is idiotic, however if your dream is to be a lawyer, dentist, professor etc then it makes sense and the cost is worth it!

$80,000 in total is nothing, really. There are a plenty of professionals or should I say, university graduates who get paid over $100,000 at minimum. If you thought not going to university and earning 80 grand is an accomplishment, I think you must be living in the 80s or the 90s. Nowadays, the median pay is even $70,000-$80,000.

Only way to raise your wage? Study and earn a degree.

$80,000 in total is nothing, really. There are a plenty of professionals or should I say, university graduates who get paid over $100,000 at minimum. If you thought not going to university and earning 80 grand is an accomplishment, I think you must be living in the 80s or the 90s. Nowadays, the median pay is even $70,000-$80,000.

You are 100% correct on furthering your education not necessarily being the way to go. I'm in sales, to be specific food sales, last year I was making $45,000 but was laid off with the rest of the company. Now i just got a new job after 5 years in my field and I'm making $63,000 + up to $10,000 bonus + Free new SUV, Gas and Insurance ( I value it at $12,000, $1000 a month ). So with no university or college degree I'm making around $75,000. In my final interview for this job I beat out 3 people who have a university degree of some type, so it's not always the way places go, sometimes experience outweighs degrees.

Archived