The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

28, Looking for a Career, need help

hsedin33

$80,000 in total is nothing, really. There are a plenty of professionals or should I say, university graduates who get paid over $100,000 at minimum. If you thought not going to university and earning 80 grand is an accomplishment, I think you must be living in the 80s or the 90s. Nowadays, the median pay is even $70,000-$80,000.

Only way to raise your wage? Study and earn a degree.

I can give you contacts to work in the oil and gas industry, prob get you on in Ft St John/ Dawson Creek

2 weeks on 1 week off 12 hrs a day at 30/hr = 420 per day 140/ day living allowance 560 a day x 21 days a month = 11,760 gross/ month.

This is with no experience and no education

• 3 months later...

I'm 29 next month, right now I'm on EI after losing my job 6 months ago, I still have no real career path or solid post education behind me. Everytime I look into potential careers, I always hear the same things, the competition is fierce, finding a job is hard, it's very stressful, the schooling costs are way too high or it causes long term health problems. Its at the point where I don't even care how much money I make, I just want to be on track to make a proper income to support a family and be happy doing it, why does this seem like such a hard thing to do? It's so demotivating to be on the outside looking in and seeing how stressed people are with their jobs. Has anyone else had this experiance and what they did to find and get into a career they enjoy?

Random bump.

I've just completed a geology degree (BSc Hons) and I'm starting to apply for work in the mining industry now that I have my results and I'm back from vacation. There's pretty much noone hiring in Australia. It's pretty quiet in BC too. I'm looking at Africa right now as there are a few companies supposedly still hiring there. I've seen a job advertised with Rio Tinto in Saskatoon too, although I'm not sure if they'd hire me as I'm pretty sure that it takes a good while to process immigration applications and sort out visas etc.

It sucks, because just two years ago graduates were getting jobs in Australia paying around $100,000 with grades far worse than the ones I have. But things have gone downhill fast over there. Hopefully it recovers as it has been my goal to work there since I was in first year and we were told we would be hired there easily. Typical.

It was the lecturers that were telling us that. Things have just changed over there so quickly. One factor is that the Chinese aren't buying as much as they were a few years ago. But these sort of quiet periods have occurred in the past and things have recovered over time, so hopefully it's not like this for too long.

Archived