Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo starts vs Wild Tuesday night

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Luongo starts vs Wild Tuesday night (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with Luongo starting ?

1. Yes (126 votes [60.58%])

Percentage of vote: 60.58%

2. No (82 votes [39.42%])

Percentage of vote: 39.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

UPDATE: He will be playing right wing.

If Luo is on RW and Corey is a puck moving Defenceman does that mean Clime gets the nod.

#32 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

lets play both luongo and schneider at the same time

#33 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

They should have random contests in the locker room before the game to decide. Like who can balance a soccer ball on their nose the longest. Or catch the most smarties in their mouth in 20 secs with Alain tossing the smarties. The coin is just the beginning.

Edited by honey badger36, 11 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#34 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

man get real. Every game he plays he, is a game to get showcased now? He played 5 games already against some good teams, played well....still not enough showcasing for a top goalie who has been in the league for over 10 years?

Bottom line is, we don't have a starter we got 2 clearly. Does saying he is being showcased is the reason for the start make you feel better?

Hey buddy, you're talking to somebody whose favourite goalie of all-time is Luongo. I'm not attacking him or anything. Luongo doesn't need you to get all butthurt and defend him over any comment that isn't praising him as a God.

Do you think it makes sense to give him the start when the gameplan this season has been ride the hot goalie for a while and Schneider's performed great in his consecutive starts? One rational explanation is that it might be a showcase game. It doesn't matter how established a player is in this league.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 11 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

The hockey gods have decided the coin toss. I will not argue.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#36 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Luuu's been dominating the Wild at home, Schneids should get the next start though.
If you look at the Sched. in March and April it is absolutely packed, I am glad we will have 2 great tenders to play at that time.

#37 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I highly doubt it's a showcase game. I'm pretty sure teams know what Luongo can do.

My guess is the current plan is to keep both goalies fresh. Next week there are a bunch of games in not a whole lot of time so it's probably a good thing.

Granted the plan can change. It seems we've gone through:

1) Cory's the starter
2) Oh, crap we need wins so we better play Lu
3) Okay, we have a cushion. Let's give Schneider a few games to get his game back.
4) Cory has his game back? Okay, let's keep both goalies fresh.

#38 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hey buddy, you're talking to somebody whose favourite goalie of all-time is Luongo. I'm not attacking him or anything. Luongo doesn't need you to get all butthurt and defend him over any comment that isn't praising him as a God.

Do you think it makes sense to give him the start when the gameplan this season has been ride the hot goalie for a while and Schneider's performed great in his consecutive starts? One rational explanation is that it might be a showcase game. It doesn't matter how established a player is in this league.

well if they were riding the hot goalie then they would have given Luongo another start cause he won 3 in a row and had a GAA of less than 1 prior to Schneider getting the start in Minnesota.

Luongo has something like a 180+ minute home shutout streak going against the Wild maybe that has something to do with it

#39 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Absolutely.

We're so lucky to actually not have to worry about who goes in net.

Yet people here still go crazy about putting Luongo in net instead of Schneider.

Posted Image

#40 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

hahahaha great response.. I get a kick out of how crazy Lu lovers go on these boards.

i really dont care whose in net myself. It could be that there's a stretch of game coming up they want to play CS in more. everything they do seems to be calculated, we can speculate but we will never really know the real reason why. For all we know he actually is flipping a coin or maybe they have a dance dance revolution contest to see who starts. who knows, who cares, they both rule!

Edited by thad, 11 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#41 TigerWilliamsJr

TigerWilliamsJr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I think the reason might be because we just played the Wild 2 games ago and they are letting LU play because they just saw Cory? Also his (LU’s) record Vs. the Wild at home is rather impressive. No big deal, one or the other gives us a great chance to win.

I want to keep both for the season, give one guy 2, 3 or 4 games in a row then sub in the other and he play’s 2, 3 or 4 and so on (unless this same situation comes up, having played a team 2 games previous) so they are always fresh and focused. The most time they would spend sitting would be no more than a week tops with the compressed schedule.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

#42 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

It's obvious. He's our starting goalie.
Posted Image

#43 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm sure local reporters are familiar with the other NHL's teams pro scouts. Therefore, when they see some of those folks in Roger's arena, then we can start the hype machine. Until that time, it's just another quality goaltender of the Canucks going in net.

#44 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I had a feeling Lu was going to play when AV told him to say something good about him if he wants to play.

AV looking for brownie points.

#45 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,034 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Gillis has worked with his coaching staff in the past to build up a players trade value...is this the direction they are taking with Luongo?

Either way we have two all-star calibre goaltenders and are probably the only team in the league to boast that...so no complaining from this guy about that

#46 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Wow, AV really is flipping a coin. :P
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#47 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think you're on to something here. The mantra has been to go with the hot goalie. When Luongo came in and played well, he ended up getting, what?, 4 or 5 straight starts. Then Schneider came back in and allowed only 1 goal in each of the two games he's played since. You'd think that would dictate that he would continue to get the nod and then you have Gillis making a rare appearance at the sidelines to talk to AV, and lastly you have a subsequent report that Luongo will start in net tomorrow.

It's AV. There is no rhyme or reason. He literally pulls a coin out of his pocket and flips it. He wasn't joking at the presser.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#48 mazdaspeed3

mazdaspeed3

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

My God....

I want to stress, this isn't an issue of who is better. Whoever the Canucks put in net, the team is favoured to win over pretty much any opponent. But, for the sake of establishing the direction of the team, why the hell would they put Luongo back in when Schneider, the guy they're clearly going forward into the future with, just nicely won back the crease??

Unbelievable.

Why would they put Schneider back in in Minnesota when Luongo was playing lights out. Its a platoon for anyone who hasn't figured that out yet. To be honest it shouldn't matter who plays, keep them both, the season is compacted, the playoffs are long and gruelling.

We will need both goalies this year and then trade one in the off season. I don't care who, just the one that gets us the best return and is best for the team, whomever it may be.

#49 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

man get real. Every game he plays he, is a game to get showcased now? He played 5 games already against some good teams, played well....still not enough showcasing for a top goalie who has been in the league for over 10 years?

Bottom line is, we don't have a starter we got 2 clearly. Does saying he is being showcased is the reason for the start make you feel better?

Does pretending Lou isn't getting traded make you feel better?

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#50 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

But Schnides won the slap shot contest.

Yeah, so they're putting Schneider on the point for the powerplay. :P

#51 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

who even cares anymore
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#52 United Canuck

United Canuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I don't mind as they are both playing great. Being that I'm a Schneider fan, I hope he's playing in the up coming Dallas game as I'll be there live. Otherwise a WIN is most important as Lu is fully capable of.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#53 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Luongos numbers vs the wild at home are amazing, why not play him then? This is a team that operates on advanced statistics, is it really surprising they'd look at the stats to help make their final decision?

Calm down people, it's all the media and fan overreaction that's causing this so called "controversy"

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 11 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#54 Bechster17

Bechster17

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Lu has been lights out against the wild at home. This is why he's playing.

#55 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Play the goalie with the best chance to win. Luongo has been unreal against Minny at home for the last few games

#56 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Luongo must have one the decathalon

and not the academic version

#57 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm fine with it. Both of our goalies have been playing well, and if the coaching staff feels their best option is to split the starts between both our excellent goaltenders, I'll get behind them on that. Both Schneider and Luongo in my mind have proven to the world that they can be consummate professionals about the situation despite the media **** storm trying to dredge up drama on the matter.

As long as we're winning, I'm a happy fan.

#58 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

<p>

<br />
I highly doubt it&#39;s a showcase game.  I&#39;m pretty sure teams know what Luongo can do.<br />
<br />
My guess is the current plan is to keep both goalies fresh.  Next week there are a bunch of games in not a whole lot of time so it&#39;s probably a good thing.<br />
<br />
Granted the plan can change.  It seems we&#39;ve gone through:<br />
<br />
1)  Cory&#39;s the starter<br />
2)  Oh, crap we need wins so we better play Lu<br />
3)  Okay, we have a cushion.  Let&#39;s give Schneider a few games to get his game back.<br />
4)  Cory has his game back?  Okay, let&#39;s keep both goalies fresh.<br />

I agree.
Posted Image

#59 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Home games ---> Lu

Road games ---> Schneider

??
Posted Image

#60 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Bobby Lu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.