The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadas best competiton in the olympics?

Pablo

Team Sweden.

Daniel-Henrik-Alfredson

Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson

Landeskog-Johassen-Franzen

Steen-Berglund-Stalberg

Edler-Karlsson

Enstrom-Kronwall

Ekman Larsson-Hedmen

Lunqvist

Lindback

That is a dangerous looking squad. Personally I think if anyone is gonna beat Team Canada it will be Team USA or Team Sweden.

Sweden probably has one of the better defences and goaltenders, fast defenders and good puck movers excel on that open ice.

However Russia looks pretty good too up front, and Canada's defence and goaltending is a bit worse than in past years. No real grey beard on the blueline anymore, and Price is not quite the big-game-goalie that Brodeur and Luongo were.

I like the Swedes better in their own end. The Russians are going to have to try and outscore their mistakes, not an easy thing on the bigger ice surface.

I think Canada's best chance is to go with a young, fast team. The defense should be solid, but I'm a bit worried about goaltending...

Don't count out the USA or Finland...they have the best and deepest goaltending in the tournament IMO, and they're both feisty teams with huge chips on their shoulders. That'll get you far.

I still think, despite some question marks, that we're the squad to beat , and Price will step up big and cement himself as one of the top goalies in the world.

No real grey beard on the blueline anymore, and Price is not quite the big-game-goalie that Brodeur and Luongo were.

Team Canada can be their own worst enemy sometimes, can they pick the right players and can they come together and gel. As for other teams it's so hard to say when single games mean so much. I would think Sweden probably won't have back to back bad olympics so they are probably a pretty good guess at this point.

Team Canada can be their own worst enemy sometimes, can they pick the right players and can they come together and gel. As for other teams it's so hard to say when single games mean so much. I would think Sweden probably won't have back to back bad olympics so they are probably a pretty good guess at this point.

Team Canada V2... If only. But honestly this is stacked:

Stamkos - Crosby - Neal

Benn - Giroux - Nash

Tavares - Toews - Perry

J .Staal - E. Staal - Eberle

Letang - Weber

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Keith - Seabrook

Price

Ward

Luongo

Biggest competition will probably be Russia, if their goal scoring gets clicking, if not USA.

Team Canada V2... If only. But honestly this is stacked:

Stamkos - Crosby - Neal

Benn - Giroux - Nash

Tavares - Toews - Perry

J .Staal - E. Staal - Eberle

Letang - Weber

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Keith - Seabrook

Price

Ward

Luongo

Biggest competition will probably be Russia, if their goal scoring gets clicking, if not USA.

Carey Price is aight, but 'better team' doesn't = better goalie stats. While Montreal can blow offensively, in their big playoff run with Halak, they were fantastic at collapsing and blocking shots and clearing the puck. They were very good defensively, because they were mediocre offensively. They did what they had to do.

Look at whatever team Ken Hitchcock is on. St. Louis plays some of the most ugly, hardcore defensive hockey you'll ever see. And their goalies THRIVE on it. He also did the same for Leclaire and Mason before he left Columbus.

You can't rank a goalie against another goalie without giving a fair look at their teams. Even Schneider and Luongo ranked against Rinne, Quick, and Lundqvist last year. New York traps, Nashville had big body defensemen and played very stingy. Quick was behind a solid defense that were also very stingy. Big bodies to clear the net. Thomas has Chara. Chara = lolnonetpresence. Thomas can afford to be aggressive because you aren't getting near the rebound with someone like Chara there.

Luongo however, did benefit from Vancouver the first year he got here. Vancouver trapped like hell, and played very defensive. And he looked like god. But since then, they've activated their defense to try and get more goals. We honestly suck defensively, and both of our goalies have to be great to survive the random odd man rushes or glorious scoring chances off the rush. Good team does not = good defense. You can compare Luongo when he was on Florida because his team literally did blow and he was awesome. Montreal does not suck defensively, they block a lot and collapse well most of the time.

Besides, Team Canada's recent history for goalies says since he won and played last, it'll be his job to lose. Price will have to split early games and win it outright from him.

Archived