The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sedins want to re-sign after 2014

hockeyville88

Iain MacIntyre

@imacvansun: Sedins want to stay after contracts expire in 2014: "Absolutely. If it's up to us, we want to stay here."

They deserve to retire as Canucks that's for sure.

The Sedins have been relatively healthy their whole careers (knock on wood) and they are still producing quite well. At the same time, after 2014 it will be time to give others a chance to be the go-to offensive producers of the team. If they are still putting up 80+ points though, it'll be hard to ease anyone else into that role. A lot of it depends on their capabilities as they age and also how well they are able to perform in the playoffs, but it would be great to have them still being the leaders of the team.

So the question is: how much, how long a contract, and in what role?

They'll be point per game players till they retire.

They are kind, generous, responsible, and respectful hockey players.

They definitely deserve another contract @ 6.1m per year for however long, unless of course they decide to take another discount, which in all honesty I would not be surprised about.

So lucky to have these two amazing people on our roster.

Good to hear. I'd say 2-4 years at $5-6M per year seems fine.

I'd expect them to stay 1st liners for a while yet. Maybe if they stay 'til their late 30s or 40s, they'll be solid 2nd liners for some secondary scoring.

They'll do it, and they'll do it at a price that will give some breathing room salary-cap wise so the team can be successful. That's what their rationale was behind signing the previous deal at 6 million per. These guys are a class act and they'll show it again with the next contract they're going to sign with us.

Daniel and Henrik, combined, should deliver 120 points per year from 2014-2015 onward for another three years. By current standards, that should be equivalent to one player (say Sidney Crosby) making $8.7 million per year (notwithstanding the old CBA rule stating that one player cannot represent more than 20% of max cap).

So, I would say Daniel and Henrik would warrant a minimum $4.5mm to $5.0mm per year for three years -- front loaded so that they are paid at $7.0mm in year 1, $6.0mm in the second year and $2.0mm in the third year (or whatever ratio is allowed in the new CBA).

Presuming they both produce at a 60 point per year from 2014 to 2018, I would say they will play mainly secondary roles, pinch hitting as go-to guys on occasion. That is my best guess.

Archived