114 replies to this topic

#31 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,484 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

If the Sedin's aren't producing, they're highly ineffective. I'd be cautious to extend them beyond a year for each signing. I'd say give them whatever they want salary wise, assuming they're still performing, but don't give them term, not for a 35+ deal.

They will be 34.

And with the 35+ contract thing maybe it is better we lock them up.

zackass.png

#32 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I cannot imagine the Canucks without the Sedins, they have always been here since i started watching hockey in 2002, Its going to feel different when their gone. This also contributes to a lot of other players at the same age of the Sedins.
Posted Image

#33 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

2 year deals 4-4.5 million.. Would be ideal. Swedish players never seem to be greedy for the most part and i don't see the Sedins having a problem taking a pay cut for the better good of this team.

#34 Bingo Chili

Bingo Chili

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

best 2nd line in the league by then
Kesler should be able to up his game and takeover the 1st line duty by then

#35 MarchandSucks

MarchandSucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just think, what if Burke hadn't committed grand larceny on that june day oh so long ago
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Mode 2015-2016
Toews 90 Stamkos 92 Kucherov 88
Mantha 83 Henrik 90 Lecavalier 85
Glencross 80 Thompson 74 Ranford 76
Richard 64 Lindholm 61 Connolly 74
Barberio 85 Jones 84
Morrow 75 Spurgeon 85
Methot 78 Streit 84
MIller 86
Hellberg 70

#36 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

By that time, they'll still be effective at 4-4.5/yr, if not even at 5M/year.

#37 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

They should retire here, most likely they will take a little pay cut too.

4 years @ $4M/per

Edited by key2thecup, 11 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#38 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

at 34 giving them a semi long contract for a reduced cap hit would be sweet, cause they can just retire if they fall off and we're good to go!

The Sedins have already 'took one for the team'. Dont you remember the years of them signed at $3.5m... best deal in hockey
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#39 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

It's too hard to speculate at this given moment, who knows what the cap will be at... will injuries play a part? Realistically they will try and sign for a fair deal given if MG is still at the helm which i see no reason why he won't but i'd say they would stay at a bit of a discount.

Side note: Even at their own admission they aren't playing to the top of their game, Kes and booth have been out we're still ranked in number 4 spot in the power rankings

*Vancouver Canucks: The Canucks are scoring 2.82 goals per game without Ryan Kesler, a minimal drop-off from their 2.94 per game last season. A big reason is the offense coming from the blue line -- Canucks defensemen have eight goals in 11 games after scoring 40 in 82 games last season*

Yes i'd be willing to admit we haven't played to many of the top teams in the league too much this season as yet so i wouldn't give too much merit to the ranking BUT it's still cool to see since it could be a lot worse.

Hopefully though MG will pull off a trade that will net us a cpl of bigger skilled players that would certainly put us over the top but who knows... anything can happen...

HABS SUCK!!!

#40 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Lol at the people who are trading the Sedins in their proposals.

307mg00.jpg

#41 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,541 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would say 3-4 years @ 5 mill each.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#42 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

They play such a smart style, it's not going to be a case of them not being able to skate at some point. They're going to be very effective for several more years. Hopefully we'll get another discount, somewhere around 5 mill would be beautiful.

#43 tigerwilliams for pm

tigerwilliams for pm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

They are class act players & will be worth 5 or 6 mill easy.

#44 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Me as GM.....How long: five years....how much....whatever the market bares minus 10% hometown discount....what role....1st or 2nd line players and mentoring the young players which they are doing now.

GM MG---I think it will be less than this...expect tension between both camps similar to Edler but they'll get something done. The Sedins want to stay and will compromise on money and Gillis will compromise on term because, if the Sedins leave prematurely, he'll be run out of town by the fans.

#45 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

2 years @ 4.5 - 5 million per.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#46 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I can't see a deal less than 5-6 per, unless the salary cap makes it impossible with the players already signed beyond 2014.

But 3-4 per year.......thats like spitting in their face. :picard:

#47 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

It is kind of a long way off, what is the cap gonna be and what will their performance and others be by that point.

#48 BraveHart

BraveHart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

4 years at 24 million each

Posted Image

#49 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

5.5M - 6M each.

I'd do one year contracts though.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#50 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

They deserve at least 5 mil each. Many other players have played the free agency market and got more and produced much less. Anytime a player admits they want to stay with thier current team and not even try free agency, wins all my respect. Even if they never bring a cup to this city, we are very lucky to have them.

#51 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

5.5M - 6M each.

I'd do one year contracts though.

Don't think the Sedins would do that.

And remember that any future contracts would be subject to the 35+ provision.

#52 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Let them stay as long as they're willing to commit to the team for.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#53 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'd like to see them sign a nice 4 year contract since it wont be a 35+ contract but I expect them to sign a 2 year deal with 1 year deals after that.

I have no problem if they get 6.1M a year again but I bet they will sign somewhere around 5.5M/yr
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#54 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

3 million each for a sedin? We should be paying them 7+8 mil right now. Show some respect

Please, I'm probably the biggest Sedin fan there is, I'm just being realistic here. This season they're a step below a point-per-game, and could end up being 60 point players next season. By the time they have to sign a contract they'll be 2nd line players scoring around 40-60 points.

The last few seasons they were worth around 8-9 million, but this season they're playing like 6 million dollar players. If their play continues this way they'll deserve 4 million as 40-60 point producers.

It's not about showing them respect at all, it's about valuing their play correctly. If contracts were written up based on how much a team respected their players then these guys would be getting 10 million. It all depends on these next couple of seasons - if they can get back to playing at a point per game I have no problem with handing them 5-6 million a year for a few seasons. However, that's not the case right now, they're both playing at around a 60-70 point pace now and that could drop off further next year.
Posted Image

#55 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

this is great to hear. they will finish their careers as the no. 1 / 2 scorers in canucks franchise history. they should retire canucks.

#56 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Iain MacIntyre

They deserve to retire as Canucks that's for sure.

The Sedins have been relatively healthy their whole careers (knock on wood) and they are still producing quite well. At the same time, after 2014 it will be time to give others a chance to be the go-to offensive producers of the team. If they are still putting up 80+ points though, it'll be hard to ease anyone else into that role. A lot of it depends on their capabilities as they age and also how well they are able to perform in the playoffs, but it would be great to have them still being the leaders of the team.

So the question is: how much, how long a contract, and in what role?

Who do you see putting up 80+ points?

#57 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

best 2nd line in the league by then
Kesler should be able to up his game and takeover the 1st line duty by then

Kesler is not a passer. He would need players to compliment him. I don't see him putting up 80 points without playing with the right type or players. He's more of the best two way Center the canucks have.

Edited by Gonz, 11 February 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#58 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

If they would agree to it, Id take it year by year. I cant see them taking less then what they already make, with what they contribute to the community, and how theyve been underpaid for their services.

I'll predict identical 3 year - 18.3M.

#59 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'd say that they should be able to do what guys like Elias and Jagr are doing respectively as long as they keep making smart plays, not get injured (both those Czechs also rely on smarts to make plays with finesse, not to mention obvious skill, to prolong their careers to this point) and have an effective finisher/ space-opener in front of the net with whom to work. I wouldn't be surprised if their strong play lasts until then if they remain physically fit. Besides, they're only 32 whereas Jagr's 40, Elias is 36 himself and Selanne's still tearing it up as well at 42! If these Euro superstar vets can do it, why can't the Twins?

EDIT: Money-wise I'd say around $5M (or they'll take hometown discounts to stay. I can't imagine them in another jersey, and I really hope they'll be like Lidstrom in that they stick with one team for their entire careers).

Edited by g@m3b0i, 11 February 2013 - 07:57 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#60 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

2 year deals 4-4.5 million.. Would be ideal. Swedish players never seem to be greedy for the most part and i don't see the Sedins having a problem taking a pay cut for the better good of this team.

Why would the Sedin's need to take a paycut ? They will still be worth 6m+ per season when the current contract's runs out. It's one thing as a fan to assume a certain demographic of athlete is " not greedy ", say like Nicklas Lidstrom, but you don't insult franchise-type players by lowballing or offering less then previous to them either. The Sedins are respected and the Cancuks would not pull the " paycut " crap on them nor does the team need that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.