The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forget that you hate TO for a second. Do you think they make the playoffs this year?

vcr1970

Leafs are in 4th at the quater pole mark. Honestly, they deserve to make the playoffs but I see them slipping off, probably missing out on the last few games of the season.

Buffalo and Philadelphia are just too good to lay dormant for so long, they'll climb up and steal playoff spots. I could see Markov and Price carrying the Canadiens to a playoff spot barely, so Tampa and Toronto will probably be on the outside looking in.

Sure they could make it but their goaltending is nowhere near good enough, even in a shortened season.

I just don't see them having another tumble out of playoff contention, especially with the way the East looks this year.

I say they make it, if just by a hair.

Yes .. they will, partially because it is "the will of the League" .. TO is one of the prime NHL markets, and they need both Montreal and Toronto making the playoffs .. they could care less about the other Candian teams .. I believe the officiating reflects that .. :rolleyes:

Fractured leadership (captain Phaneuf and first mate Kessel) are not awe inspiring, some positions lack speed and goal tending are the knocks. Also; how long is Lupul out and can Kadri keep up a level of performance all year???

They do have enough talent?

Odd's are 50 / 50 at best. I'm sayin No!

I think they'll make it. A few legitimately weak teams over in the East,and they've had pieces of solid seasons recently. They're overdue to put it together well enough to get in, perhaps even to the second round if they get a lucky matchup. Still alongway off an appearance in the finals, but Randy Carlyle has made a tangible difference in their discipline already.

I think they will make this year, only because of the shortened season. Sorry, but Toronto sucks, and they are not built for the long haul. They can't seem to fight back when other teams finally get it together. They are mediocre at best. They are lucky right now because quite a few teams are crapping the bed, giving them a chance.

I think it's a stretch, and now with Reimer inured, and Lupul already on the shelf, it'll be hard. I don't think they can keep their current win streak going. However, a lot of the big teams out East are slumping, but teams like Buffalo and Philly will eventually wake up, methinks.

If TO makes the playoffs, it won't be much higher than 8th, maybe 7th at best.

The way I see it, they will make the playoffs if only due to the numbers game between divisions. At this point, I see the South East division only producing the one seed, that being the conference winner between Carolina and Tampa Bay. That leaves 7 spots between 10 teams in the North East and Atlantic divisions.

Of those 10 teams, for sure not making it would be the Islanders and Buffalo. This would leave 8 teams fighting for 7 spots, of which I think Toronto beats out Montreal, as they are in the early stages of a partial rebuild. My playoff picture:

1. Pittsburgh (divisional winner)

2. Boston (divisional winner)

3. Tampa Bay (divisional winner)

4. NYR

5. NJ

6. Ottawa

7. Toronto

8. Philly

The picture of course changes if any other team in the South East gets it's *stuff* together.

Leafs started out in first place last year too. Right around now teams will start to figure out what they need to do to make a playoff run and teams will stop underestimating the Leafs and look to take points from them. Toronto is 4 and 5 points up on 4 teams just outside the playoff picture and has another 4 teams within 4 points of them.

I highly, very highly doubt this team makes it. It's far to early to get excited about any team in any position, let alone the Leafs who we all know will fall apart. Especially if Reimer doesn't rebound right away. This team seems to feed on optimism at the start of the year and then falls apart when the real hockey players from other teams show up.

Boo Leafs !!!

Archived