Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo and 4 teams

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#31 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

If we are winning with Lu, why trade him this year (unless we get a crazy offer)? Two top goalies with a deep team is all we can ask for. Let's go for the cup one more time with Lu and then trade him.

#32 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I realistcally can see him staying for the season. Him and Schneider alternate. With Kesler on the brink of return, there is no need to trade away Louie. Both goalies to win the cup

I expect the same to happen unless Washigton and Florida really start feeling the heat from the fans.

Many teams have run tandems and run them well...

Moog/Fuhr in the early days - two all stars that shared the net - Edm
John VanB and Richter - NYR
Don Edwards Bob Sauve - Buf

So it can be done!

#33 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

1. JS will be playing on the second line once Kesler and Booth return?! So I guess Kass goes to the third?
Personally I wouldn't be against trying it but I think that combo is highly unrealistic. We're more likely to see JS and Raymond on the third line.

2. It's great that Kesler and Booth know each other but this is irrelevant to the business end of the stick IE. what's best for the team.

3. I don't think it's tinfoil hat material to say that Booth with Kesler haven't panned out as the fabled dynamic duo. Their playing styles do not mesh well.

4. Luongo has a massive millstone around his neck AKA age + contract which will diminish his return in a trade.

5. I think we'd want to package either goalie with another player for two reasons x) we'll need a backup goalie in return, and y) we don't need another middleman (this team has plenty of them), we need a top quality player.

3. They haven't played much together as canucks. And by know each other I mean played together before and have chemistry.

Kass will prolly stay with Higgins and lapiere since they play well together that makes our lines.

Sedin-sedin-burrows
Schroeder-Kesler-booth
Higgins-lapiere-Kassian
Raymond-malhotra-Hansen

Obvs. Hansen can move anywhere in the line

#34 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

3. They haven't played much together as canucks. And by know each other I mean played together before and have chemistry.

Kass will prolly stay with Higgins and lapiere since they play well together that makes our lines.

Sedin-sedin-burrows
Schroeder-Kesler-booth
Higgins-lapiere-Kassian
Raymond-malhotra-Hansen

Obvs. Hansen can move anywhere in the line

- I'm aware of their minor hockey days but that has not equalled a dynamic duo here in Vancouver.
- Kassian will not be playing second fiddle to JS.
- I don't think the "Big Trade" will go down until the summer and that's what I'm talking about.
- Malhotra will not be on the team next season.
- Need someone juicy to offer up with our goalie.

next season:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
acquisition-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Weise/AHL up-and-coming/trade
[Edited to add: Don't make too big of deal about this line up, it could be anything but it will have a new 2nd line winger, no Malhotra and no JS on the 2nd line.]

Edited by GrooveC, 12 February 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#35 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

- I'm aware of their minor hockey days but that has not equalled a dynamic duo here in Vancouver.
- Kassian will not be playing second fiddle to JS.
- I don't think the "Big Trade" will go down until the summer and that's what I'm talking about.
- Malhotra will not be on the team next season.
- Need someone juicy to offer up with our goalie.

next season:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
acquisition-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Weise/AHL up-and-coming/trade
[Edited to add: Don't make too big of deal about this line up, it could be anything but it will have a new 2nd line winger, no Malhotra and no JS on the 2nd line.]

The problem with trading booth now is the possibly putting players off about the team. He hasn't exactly played enough for management to trade him but who knows what'll happened by seasons end. I actually like those lines. Seeing that Kassian will probably train with the Sedona again means he will probably get another shot at the top line.

#36 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

The problem with trading booth now is the possibly putting players off about the team. He hasn't exactly played enough for management to trade him but who knows what'll happened by seasons end. I actually like those lines. Seeing that Kassian will probably train with the Sedona again means he will probably get another shot at the top line.

Posted Image

Either way I think the team is in a great position with their depth, trade options and line up options.

My crystal ball tells me that after this whole goalie "controversy" has played itself out (A great problem to have isn't really a problem) than we'll be faced with the real problem, the cap situation next season.

Edited by GrooveC, 12 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#37 canIcrytoo

canIcrytoo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I take issue with the statement that Philly is a win now team. They've brought in a lot of young talent and will likely be a better team in a few years than they are now. Also, Bryzgalov has been doing pretty well this season. There's no way they deal for Luongo anytime soon.

seriously?? as a flyers fan myself, you couldnt be more wrong. He has been terrible. 5-6-1 his brightst stat is that he has 2 assists, wooooooooop wooooooop
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Posted Image

#38 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I still say i hope a trade pans out this season, we still don't have enough big bodies to go toe to toe with the bigger teams and year after year we fall short and this hasn't changed yet. if the playoffs were maybe only 5 games per series then possibly we could but that's not the case so we do need to get bigger as we get insanely close but we end up beaten up and injury riddled and lose. The acquisition of Kassian surely helped but not enough, if he was a seasoned veteran then yes but that's not the case.
HABS SUCK!!!

#39 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bryz gets flamed for being Bryz. He may not be standing on his head but they got bigger problems upfront. Scoring is way down compared to the past couple of years.

If Luongo was still 26 y/o, sure Nonis would have pulled the trigger already

WSH has 2 young goallies and neither one is getting it done. However mcphee laughed at the idea of taking on Luongo's contract. Tactic to drive the price down? possibly

and above all the Luongo has the NTC which limits our options. Seems like he only wants to go back to FLA right now and they don't want to give up anything that could hurt their future because they are not built to win yet.

#40 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I still say i hope a trade pans out this season, we still don't have enough big bodies to go toe to toe with the bigger teams and year after year we fall short and this hasn't changed yet. if the playoffs were maybe only 5 games per series then possibly we could but that's not the case so we do need to get bigger as we get insanely close but we end up beaten up and injury riddled and lose. The acquisition of Kassian surely helped but not enough, if he was a seasoned veteran then yes but that's not the case.

Agree. How will Nuck fans feel about a #1 goalie sitting on the bench when the team is getting pounded during the SC playoffs...

#41 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I agree with keeping him
Best chance for the cup
Posted Image

#42 bass98

bass98

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Keep luongo, schneider and Edler for Ovechkin lol

yeah and then you have 2 guys who choke in the playoffs

Edited by bass98, 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#43 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

MG admitted that, eventually, something would have to be done regarding our goaltending situation.He did'nt say 'Luongo'...which tells me that one,or the other, could be moved at seasons end.I think it's a good idea to have both this shortened season,as competition(and support) between each other is very healthy for both of them.

#44 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

It would seem that many things have fallen in to place to make a Luongo trade easier. But I still feel that a trade wont happen till deadline or off season. I wonder if GM's would like another free preview of what Luongo can or cant do in the playoffs. He was fine last year but all previous years had some back to back blowouts. I mean seriously, if you look at his stats there should be half the NHL GM's bidding for him. He is a regular season winning monster and has had many great post season games. Not to mention a gold medal. I remember that when the Nucks went up 2-0 on Boston, many people thought that If Canucks won the cup, that Luo would get Conn Smythe. Then we had the 2 games in Boston.

#45 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

yeah and then you have 2 guys who choke in the playoffs

Actually, I suggest you look at OV's playoff stats: http://www.nhl.com/i...avid=nhl-search

He's been above PPG in all playoff seasons except last year - a lot better than most players in the playoffs.
Spoiler

#46 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

OP, don't know if you were aware of it, but there is a whole thread dedicated to this in the Trades, Rumours and Signings forum: [Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Check it out and you'll see your post will fit in pretty well with (most of) the discussion there.

Do not be a mini-mod. Telling other users to stop trolling, flaming or baiting will probably not make the situation better. Spamming the rules and telling people you have reported them will be considered trolling. Report the post and leave the rest to the moderation team.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#47 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

i think the canucks are looking pretty solid all around. they could use some tinkering here and there, but theres no need for a blockbuster a the moment.

i think with the development of schroeder and the probability of jensen pushing into next years team, it wouldnt suprise me if lui is dealt for nothing but picks and prospects, which for the canucks sake can wait till the off season.... might as well hold onto Lui for the run, which im betting the same goalie philosophy will be used in the playoffs as is this regular season, unless an offer gillis cant refuse comes across his table, which imo is doubtfull.

doesnt mean there wont be other moves made, but i think our goalies will be here for the whole year.

#48 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I just don't know if any of those four teams have enough in the bank to get Luongo - although Washington does have Ovechkin...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.