The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and 4 teams

BigBadBertz

First off, i'm not even sure exactly where I should post this, but its more of a discussion topic over anything else, which is why I am posting this here. If a MOD wants to move it to another area, go for it.

I'm curious to know what fans and possble hockey gurus think of the situation revolving Roberto Luongo. Him and Schneider are playing fantastic as a tandem, and the we aren't getting the offence we usually do, yet we're winning. So once the offence really gets going, we could be a force.

BUT

Toronto just lost Reimer, and if he is hurt long term or even isn't the same when he gets back, how quick would Nonis make a pitch for Luongo!? I haven't been getting into all this Luongo to Toronto stuff, but now the Leafs are winning, and they are grinding it out, and they really look good in my opinion. They are a playoff team, the question is, if losing Reimer means they start losing (assuming Scrivens can't handle it), does Nonis make the call?

Philadelphia, this team is WAY too talented to not be winning. Bryzgalov is just horrendus. They don't even have a goaltending prospect as far as I know. They need to try to win now, how much is the goaltending situation becoming an issue in Philadelphia... I think its actually transparent through the whole team, no confidence in their goaltending.

Washington is in the same situation as Philadelphia, they are in a win now situation, and its absolutely apparent that they need to get a goaltender. Although I see many similarities with Philadelphia, I do think there is more problems there then meets the eye. Starting to wonder if Ovechkin is actually happy there. (No, I am not implying we should trade for Ovechkin, just wondering of his happiness)

Florida finally made the playoffs last year, so you'd think they'd want to make them again this year. Goaltending there will single handly make them miss the playoffs, so again, I am beginning to wonder, what kind of arm twist is going to start showing up there. They need a goaltender, badly... I think Markstrom would make a good backup.

Anyways, I bring all this up because with these 4 teams, all in the East, all needind a goaltender, and Luongo playing awesome, who absolutely has to be trading in the off-season at the latest. Would the time be now to deal him? Value VS Need is really high right now, so if we are going to deal him, off-season or not, I think the time is now.

Discuss...

OP, don't know if you were aware of it, but there is a whole thread dedicated to this in the Trades, Rumours and Signings forum: /topic/338913-discussion-roberto-luongo-trade-thread-50/">[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Check it out and you'll see your post will fit in pretty well with (most of) the discussion there.

I agree with this. I like Booth as an NHL second line player but I do not like the chemistry (or lack of) that he brings to our second line. Booth and Kesler do not compliment each other, they both want the puck all the time and who's to blame them if they're overriding skill is scoring. However, what they both need is complementing player (A Henrik-type playmaker) or two. To me it seems so unharmonious to see two players who can (and like to) drive the net by starting at their own blueline.

Kesler > Booth

Agree with the summer too. Although I think waiting that long will really alter the dynamics at play. Schneider's agent is already creating waves and come summer who knows... Personally I rather see him go and watch Bobby Lu retire as a Canuck. Plus, if everyone who thinks Schneider has the bigger upside is right than we'll get more in return for him. Schneids and Booth would return us a gold plated player.

1. JS will be playing on the second line once Kesler and Booth return?! So I guess Kass goes to the third?

Personally I wouldn't be against trying it but I think that combo is highly unrealistic. We're more likely to see JS and Raymond on the third line.

2. It's great that Kesler and Booth know each other but this is irrelevant to the business end of the stick IE. what's best for the team.

3. I don't think it's tinfoil hat material to say that Booth with Kesler haven't panned out as the fabled dynamic duo. Their playing styles do not mesh well.

4. Luongo has a massive millstone around his neck AKA age + contract which will diminish his return in a trade.

5. I think we'd want to package either goalie with another player for two reasons x) we'll need a backup goalie in return, and y) we don't need another middleman (this team has plenty of them), we need a top quality player.

3. They haven't played much together as canucks. And by know each other I mean played together before and have chemistry.

Kass will prolly stay with Higgins and lapiere since they play well together that makes our lines.

Sedin-sedin-burrows

Schroeder-Kesler-booth

Higgins-lapiere-Kassian

Raymond-malhotra-Hansen

Obvs. Hansen can move anywhere in the line

- I'm aware of their minor hockey days but that has not equalled a dynamic duo here in Vancouver.

- Kassian will not be playing second fiddle to JS.

- I don't think the "Big Trade" will go down until the summer and that's what I'm talking about.

- Malhotra will not be on the team next season.

- Need someone juicy to offer up with our goalie.

next season:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

acquisition-Kesler-Kassian

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Weise/AHL up-and-coming/trade

[Edited to add: Don't make too big of deal about this line up, it could be anything but it will have a new 2nd line winger, no Malhotra and no JS on the 2nd line.]

The problem with trading booth now is the possibly putting players off about the team. He hasn't exactly played enough for management to trade him but who knows what'll happened by seasons end. I actually like those lines. Seeing that Kassian will probably train with the Sedona again means he will probably get another shot at the top line.

I take issue with the statement that Philly is a win now team. They've brought in a lot of young talent and will likely be a better team in a few years than they are now. Also, Bryzgalov has been doing pretty well this season. There's no way they deal for Luongo anytime soon.

I still say i hope a trade pans out this season, we still don't have enough big bodies to go toe to toe with the bigger teams and year after year we fall short and this hasn't changed yet. if the playoffs were maybe only 5 games per series then possibly we could but that's not the case so we do need to get bigger as we get insanely close but we end up beaten up and injury riddled and lose. The acquisition of Kassian surely helped but not enough, if he was a seasoned veteran then yes but that's not the case.

Bryz gets flamed for being Bryz. He may not be standing on his head but they got bigger problems upfront. Scoring is way down compared to the past couple of years.

If Luongo was still 26 y/o, sure Nonis would have pulled the trigger already

WSH has 2 young goallies and neither one is getting it done. However mcphee laughed at the idea of taking on Luongo's contract. Tactic to drive the price down? possibly

and above all the Luongo has the NTC which limits our options. Seems like he only wants to go back to FLA right now and they don't want to give up anything that could hurt their future because they are not built to win yet.

I still say i hope a trade pans out this season, we still don't have enough big bodies to go toe to toe with the bigger teams and year after year we fall short and this hasn't changed yet. if the playoffs were maybe only 5 games per series then possibly we could but that's not the case so we do need to get bigger as we get insanely close but we end up beaten up and injury riddled and lose. The acquisition of Kassian surely helped but not enough, if he was a seasoned veteran then yes but that's not the case.

Archived