The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wrestling out of the olympics

canuckbeliever

The IOC yet again shows they only care about the money. There are a lot of bull sports out there and for the members of IOC to drop wrestling is disgusting considering all the sports they will allow in the Olympics. This decision is one in a line of many that prove the IOC doesnt give a rats ass about everything it preaches. My heart goes out to all the wrestlers at SFU who are having there dream goal taken away from them just because some old white guys can not make enough money off a sport.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/drops+wrestling+from+2020+Olympic+Games/7952148/story.html

So they get rid of wrestling and yet speedwalking stays?

Plus, they're adding golf? Olympic style wrestling is better than golf.

Now wrestling has to apply to be included again facing competition like baseball, karate, squash, wakeboarding and wushu. I had to google what wushu was. And baseball? That's just giving the US another medal. Wrestling deserves to be back in. Heck, it didn't deserve to leave.

So they get rid of wrestling and yet speedwalking stays?

Plus, they're adding golf? Olympic style wrestling is better than golf.

Now wrestling has to apply to be included again facing competition like baseball, karate, squash, wakeboarding and wushu. I had to google what wushu was. And baseball? That's just giving the US another medal. Wrestling deserves to be back in. Heck, it didn't deserve to leave.

This is a shame without a doubt, it must be tough to have been working towards goals and dreams involving being at the Olympics and to have that ripped away from you. Hopefully there is a grace period where these sports removed or applied to the Olympics goes through.

Maybe wrestling seems more legitimate than other sports but at the end of the day you are not going to make everyone happy anyways with regards to what sports are or are not in the Olympics.

WOW they remove wrestling but have bullsh!t like speedwalking. Feel bad for the people that worked so hard to hopefully one day be in the olympics and compete in wrestling the training must be crazy hard and for them to can it over all the other stupid/non legitimate sports is ridiculous.

Yup, horrible decision. As with the other mentioned (I don't mind horse jumping, but drassage?) there are certainly eyebrows to be raised over some of the sports still included. Rugby 7s is a fantastic addition but Olympic wrestling is one of the sports along with track and field that remind me of the original Olympic held in Greece.

Archived