103 replies to this topic

#1 uzzi92

uzzi92

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

So, with Manny on his last year of his contract with the Canucks, anyone think he will leave or re-sign?

#2 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Most likely a 1 or 2 year deal.

Posted Image

#3 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

depends on next year's Training Camp, methinks. If a young center can oust him, he might not stick around.

As long as he's not replaced by EBBETT :mad:
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#4 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

He is gone... unless he can play with some of the reckless abandon and competitiveness he used to...

#5 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Malholtra's been dropped to fourth line and can't compare to Lappierre.
He'd be better off asking to be traded at the dealine if possible.

#6 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have a feeling that the Canucks may not even attempt to re-sign him at the end of this season.
Posted Image

#7 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

POPULAR

His NHL career is over, sad but true. He's a great guy and an awesome leader. Hope we can give him a job in management

#8 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

From now on he is a below average 4th line player. That happens to be good at face offs.

#9 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Love Manny. Sauga city local, But it may be time for him to move on.
Posted Image

#10 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

POPULAR

Maybe he will call it a career and become part of player development.
I think he would be awesome at that.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#11 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Great community guy, but it's definetly time to trade him at the deadline ( kind of how Pahlsson was offloaded on us )

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#12 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

His NHL career is over, sad but true. He's a great guy and an awesome leader. Hope we can give him a job in management

This.

#13 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,854 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

They'll keep him until the end of the year for his faceoff ability. After that, he may be retained if he takes a sizeable discount. Even if we don't, some team will pay him < 1 mil

I mean, we gave RYAN JOHNSON 1.1 million for his faceoffs, and Malhotra is far better at it.
Posted Image

#14 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I don't think his career is over just yet. There's probably a number of teams that don't have the quality of roster that the Canucks have that could use his experience and leadership in their lineup. I would be surprised if he wasn't playing somewhere in the NHL next year.
Posted Image

#15 mancaesar

mancaesar

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm not even sure where he'll fit on this team once Kesler and Booth are back. I suppose he or Lappiere will have to shift over to wing on the 4th line with Higgins on the other wing. No room for Volpatti or Weise. This is all assuming Schroeder isn't sent down. His play is surely suggesting that he won't be.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lappiere

That's crazy forward depth right there. The problem is that Weise would likely have to be sent down, and with his new-found celebrity status as the Dutch league Gretzky, he'd probably be picked up on waivers.

I can't really see any regular roster spot for Manny next season either. Classy guy and all, but gotta do what's best for the team. I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

Edited by mancaesar, 13 February 2013 - 12:20 AM.

John Paul II made a saint. John Garrett next?

#16 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I was really hoping that with a full off-season (extended, actually), Manny would at least partially return to his former self. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to have happened and when Kesler and Booth both come back along with the emergence of Schroeder it will be a tough call as to whether he ends up sitting in the press box for the rest of the season. If it wasn't for his faceoff ability, I'd say it would be a done deal.

Next season, I see even less of a place for him so I would be surprised if the Canucks signed him again. I do think that he could have a place centering the 4th line of a "lesser" team elsewhere if he so wanted to, but not likely here.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#17 steviewonder20

steviewonder20

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I agree with this. He isn't able to justify his salary post-injury and taking defensive zone face-offs isn't enough for a roster spot. Great guy, let him scout or teach or motivate, etc. but save the roster salary for someone else. He won't be back next year and probably won't play anywhere else; very sad for him.

#18 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I believe he is done as a player for the canucks after this season. He just is not the same anymore post-injury.

Edited by rotiman187, 12 February 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Posted Image

#19 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Sedin
Kesler
Schroeder
Lappy (has to be resigned)

Don't think Manny has a spot,
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#20 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think Manny is still recovering; he is getting better every game.
He is still a big, fast guy that hits and wins a lot of faceoffs and is a leader on this team.

Ebbet will probably be the guy to go when Kesler comes back and Booth may be a fair way off yet (in his interview he said he was frustrated with how long it is taking but he keeps getting setbacks and cannot rush recovery).
So Manny will stay a while longer and may not be the guy cut when Booth does return.

If Luongo is going to be traded, some forward (Raymond?) may go in the deal, or the deal for a backup goaltender, and Manny could still hold down a roster or pressbox spot.
Barker is still with the team and could be gone before Manny as well.

#21 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think it is becoming obvious that he will never play to the level he was before the accident. He may get an offer from another team, but I can't see the Nucks giving him a contract (unless it is a player/manager type scenario).

Imo, Manny seems like the type of player that can make the transition to coaching. I could see him starting out as an assistant coach for the Grizzlies and then moving up from there. I think he would want to stay in Van but there may be better opportunities elsewhere.

#22 10minMisconduct

10minMisconduct

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think he's done as a Canuck. He's been invisible out there. I don't think the Canucks will re-sign him. Lappy will be the main 4th line centre for next year.

#23 DcANuck

DcANuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Unfortunately, Manny will probably never return to his top form. However, he consistently executes face-offs and is leader, rally point, and great guy. I think having him around a little while more won't hurt. (Even just for faceoffs) I don't know, maybe I'm just too sentimental. If not, he could easily transiton to managment role or other non-player function within the canucks organization. (PR?)
Posted Image

#24 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

They'll keep him until the end of the year for his faceoff ability. After that, he may be retained if he takes a sizeable discount. Even if we don't, some team will pay him < 1 mil

I mean, we gave RYAN JOHNSON 1.1 million for his faceoffs, and Malhotra is far better at it.

Agreed.
Posted Image

#25 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Barring some outstanding performance in the rest of the season I think this will be his last season in Vancouver, but anyone who thinks his NHL career is over is insane. He has 1-2 useful years on a contending team, maybe 4-5 years left on a bottom-feeder team, and Manny has made it clear he wants to continue his career as a player.

Expect a team like Carolina to look into his services.

Edited by knoxdown, 12 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#26 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

If he takes a massive paycut I could see him staying. It sucks because I really like Manny, but we can't have guys who aren't producing taking up roster spots. Its just the way of the game. If it weren't for that damn eye injury I'd have no problem resigning him for his current contract. I really hope management offers him a job when he finally decides to retire.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#27 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

He's as good as gone. At this point he's basically "good in the room" and very good on face-offs. That's about it. He's way overpaid for what he provides.

There's no room for him. Henrik, Kes, Schroeder, Lap. Are we going to roll 5 lines?

Edited by nuckin_futz, 12 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#28 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

He's as good as gone. At this point he's basically "good in the room" and very good on face-offs. That's about it. He's way overpaid for what he provides.

There's no room for him. Henrik, Kes, Schroeder, Lap. Are we going to roll 5 lines?

He would take a paycut to 1-1.25 a year he most certainly should stay. Who said anything about his having to play center? I would much rather have that kind of depth on our fourth line, then some of the other plugs we have had in those spots. Given his ability to kill penalties and take crucial faceoffs, he is great depth. Even with only 1 good eye he is better than 90% of the 4th liners out there right now.

#29 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

we dont have the cap space for him =/

#30 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

i hope he stays a canuck one way or another. long term he would be valuable helping with prospect development and faceoff coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.