The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Manny leave?

uzzi92

I think it is becoming obvious that he will never play to the level he was before the accident. He may get an offer from another team, but I can't see the Nucks giving him a contract (unless it is a player/manager type scenario).

Imo, Manny seems like the type of player that can make the transition to coaching. I could see him starting out as an assistant coach for the Grizzlies and then moving up from there. I think he would want to stay in Van but there may be better opportunities elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Manny will probably never return to his top form. However, he consistently executes face-offs and is leader, rally point, and great guy. I think having him around a little while more won't hurt. (Even just for faceoffs) I don't know, maybe I'm just too sentimental. If not, he could easily transiton to managment role or other non-player function within the canucks organization. (PR?)

Barring some outstanding performance in the rest of the season I think this will be his last season in Vancouver, but anyone who thinks his NHL career is over is insane. He has 1-2 useful years on a contending team, maybe 4-5 years left on a bottom-feeder team, and Manny has made it clear he wants to continue his career as a player.

Expect a team like Carolina to look into his services.

If he takes a massive paycut I could see him staying. It sucks because I really like Manny, but we can't have guys who aren't producing taking up roster spots. Its just the way of the game. If it weren't for that damn eye injury I'd have no problem resigning him for his current contract. I really hope management offers him a job when he finally decides to retire.

I think his playing career is either done after this season, or some young team with a lack of depth signs him for a year or two. Don't think he's going to still be playing for the Canucks.

It really is unfortunate what that eye injury did to Manny. He's been a leader on the Canucks and a role model for Vancouver since he's been here, and though he's only been here 3 seasons, I've really grown to like and respect the guy.

It'd be cool if he continues to do work within the organization later in his career.

You guys seem to be forgetting that he's one of our best PKers, and is a really defensively solid player. He's a pretty good fourth liner, he just isn't bringing much in the way of offensive flair. That's partly because of how AV uses him, too. Take a faceoff, get the puck out of the zone, and change up for a more offensive player.

Manny has a few things going against him...

(1) At 32 years of age, time is enemy...MG is on record stating he wants the team to get younger

(2) Yet to play at pre-injury level

(3) Passed by the likes of Lapierre and Schroeder on the depth chart

Manny has some strong attributes still going for him...

(1) Strong leadership skills

(2) Age...as much as it is a liability, it's also an asset -- experience means something

(3) Still one of the best face-off men in the league

(4) Versatility...he can play center or left wing

(5) Decent size...even though he doesn't play a belligerent style, he's still 6'2" and 220 lbs. Solid by NHL standards.

Manny, with the Canucks, unfortunately becomes a depth player on the bottom six, more likely bottom 3. Price tag for players such as this is $650K to $1.0MM. If Manny is prepared to take such a pay cut, I say we keep him...otherwise, as unfortunate as it is, we may have to let him go. Knowing how respected he is by the Canucks brass, he may be around for $1.25MM. I'd like for that to happen.

Archived