The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Manny leave?

uzzi92

I really hope we don't resign him, there are far better options for the 4th line.... I'm sure JS will be a lot better at face offs by next year and we should also have Kesler the whole season, so it won't be that much of an issue compared to this year.

Would rather have a guy who is intimidating and wears down opponents.

He might retire. Wife has new baby, and he's not as productive as he used to be. Either that or he'll take a major pay cut to stay in Vancouver OR take less of a pay cut to play somewhere else. Can't imagine him wanting to move though with a new kid.

I personally think he'll sign a 1 year 750,000 contract in Vancouver, and we should keep him I think. He's a great face-off guy even after that nasty eye injury.

My prediction is that he'll pot a goal or an assist in back to back games with some nice passes and the CDC will begin chirping about how we should resign him next year or trade him for (enter top 6 forward name here) now that his values 'gone up'.

Remember five games ago when Kassian was god, or Tanev's stellar play ( he scored one goal)? Currently it is J. Schroeder in the spot light and he's our next franchise center, according to the CDC, based on 6 games.

I'm not knocking any of these guys, they're all good players. Rather I'm trying to illustrate how quick the fans are to jump on a guy when he's not producing and then go polar opposite and proclaim him the best player in the NHL after he has a couple of good games.

I agree that Manny hasn't been himself since the injury but if you look at his career stats he was never much of a goal scorer. His career high is 14. His face off % is still good and he's still putting forth 110% effort. There is just something intangible missing from the equation. He is 32 now, I could see the Canucks offering him a contract extension for another season if he agrees to drop his salary down to 800K. I think that would be a fair price for a 4th line center that is in and out of the line up frequently.

We need to stop having a love-in with every decent human on this team. He's been pretty much useless out there outside of faceoofs, time to get rid of him. No need to keep him around in hopes he regains a form many of you are over-rating. He was never anything more than a 'good' third line centre. We have better options now.

Could we sign him to a 2 way contract? Where he could earn top dollar in the NHL 1mill+ but could be moved safely back and forth between the minors where he could work with Gaunce and Jensen. I would be happy to pay him a little more if he would agree to moving back and forth at short notice.

We need to stop having a love-in with every decent human on this team. He's been pretty much useless out there outside of faceoofs, time to get rid of him. No need to keep him around in hopes he regains a form many of you are over-rating. He was never anything more than a 'good' third line centre. We have better options now.

Managements decision on Manny will have a lot to do with Lapierre. He is also a free agent at the end of the season. If he decides he wants to go somewhere he's going to either get more money or a bigger role (and who can blame him) our best option may be to re-sign Manny. If he'd resign for $1-1.25 he may be the best option for the 4th line. We don't have any other centers coming up from the minors to fill that role. Gaunce isn't a viable option for the 4th line.

Does anyone know who would be available as an RFA to fill the hole next year?

I remember when the Canucks signed Malhotra to take over Kesler's defensive responsibilities and allow him to play a more offensive game which resulted in an amazing season for #17

Those were good times...until that fateful eye injury (with playoffs around the corner) which forced Kesler back into a half offensive half checking role that taxed his body to the limit...as is evident even still with his injuries.

If only things could have turned out differently with Manny. A brutal eye injury his first year with the Canucks..and things have just never been the same, now here we are having this conversation.

I think if Gillis wants him back after this season it will be for a contract that is much more economical than his current one.

Barring some outstanding performance in the rest of the season I think this will be his last season in Vancouver, but anyone who thinks his NHL career is over is insane. He has 1-2 useful years on a contending team, maybe 4-5 years left on a bottom-feeder team, and Manny has made it clear he wants to continue his career as a player.

Expect a team like Carolina to look into his services.

Archived