The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Texas Dad Accused of Murdering Drunk Driver Who Killed Kids

hsedin33

If the drunk driver's family really said "He didn't purposely drink and drive.." then they need a kick in the head or something.

Hey Wetcoaster, if the guy lost his two sons and was very emotional at the time, couldn't there be some leniancy in the sentence since it happened so fast it might've been like he didn't really have control of his actions? I could imagine losing two children, on my own property, would probably get a pretty crazy reaction out of me. Could you call it tresspassing or anything too? I thought in some parts of the US you could actually shoot people that came on your property.

No, you're thinking of manslaughter. If I get mad and punch you, and you happen to fall and hit your head and die, but I had no intention of actually taking your life, thats manslaughter. If I get mad and stab you, thats second degree murder.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I don't think that's what the thread is proving at all. Cavemen would have bashed their neighbours head in with a stone. While I like to think we have evolved beyond the thinking of cavemen, we are still animals.If I came home to see someone who was raping my wife, I would say with 100% certainty I would end him, if given the choice.If I were this father who just saw a drunk driver murder my children, I can't say that I would react any differently. Does this mean that I shouldn't receive a penalty for my actions? Not at all. What I'm saying is that nobody can say for certain that they would react any differently if put in a similar situation, gun or not.

I can understand that you want to play Devil's advocate just to seem "smart" but in this case a man saw his 2 sons die before him and the man who did it was a drunk behind the wheel with no regard for human life...he killed 2 people...and would have gotten manslaughter...This man not in his right state of mind was in a fit of rage and insanity at losing his 2 sons went out a killed the man responsible for taking his life(2 sons) basically killed part of his life.Please try to be more understanding of the situation and not the ideal of trying to be the one who plays a different side just so you can say "Hey look at me Im different" Only because there are times to do this and this is not one of them. Your argument is weak like the man who killed two boys while DUI

although the father did technically commit a crime he just did what eventually the guy would have done and that was remove him from the gene pool. I have never and will never feel sorry for drunk drivers, reckless disregard for your own life is one thing but when you knowingly endanger countless lives and eventually take two innocent lives, you have no excuse. Seems harsh but so is life.

This situation sucks all around, but guns are not the issue here. The father could have taken the drunken fool out with anything: his hands, pocket knife, bottle, rocks, whatever...If some chucklehead did that to my sons I'd probably do the same, but I'd like to think I wouldn't. Late-

I was wondering how long it would be before I saw a reasonable post.

As someone who has consistently argued against Capital punishment, I don't see how I can possibly come out and support this father's actions.

Also, as someone who believes that there is more than enough of this "take the law into your own hands" mentality around, I would be physically incapable of ending someone's life, no matter what the provocation.

And I would take issue with anyone who said that it means that I love my children any less because of it.

I was wondering how long it would be before I saw a reasonable post.

As someone who has consistently argued against Capital punishment, I don't see how I can possibly come out and support this father's actions.

Also, as someone who believes that there is more than enough of this "take the law into your own hands" mentality around, I would be physically incapable of ending someone's life, no matter what the provocation.

And I would take issue with anyone who said that it means that I love my children any less because of it.

Good post.

The world is full of wrongs, and you will eventually get severely wronged in some way. Will you lash out and perpetuate the cycle? Or will you accept what you cannot change, and make the best out of the situation? How you react shows if you're part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Of course, some situations are more difficult than others. I feel for the father, because this was truly extreme...but now, because of his actions, I feel even worse for the additional burdens he put on his wife, his surviving children, the family of the young man he shot, etc., etc...

Also, protecting myself or my family from imminent harm is one thing. But besides that, I would rather die than live with myself after cold-heartedly take another man's life.

I don't know why so many people think that killing someone would be easy to do, and then something they can just shake off. Desensitized by the media? Maybe...

I honestly believe that the vast majority of people would find it far easier to say than to actually do.

I personally cannot imagine pointing a weapon at someone and ending his life. Faced with the reality of doing so, I'm confident that I would find it an outright impossibility.

I'm sure that my sentiments would have some people considering me some sort of pacifist, but that's not necessarily the case.

As a guy who played Junior hockey in the early 80's and worked as a bouncer in the 90s, I've been in more than my share of fights. The difference was, after delivering "shots" to a guy with my fists, I knew he'd eventually walk away from whatever damage I was able to do...

Archived