226 replies to this topic

#1 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Look at the Leafs since they added toughness into their lineup....now sitting 4th in the league.

With Mark Fraser, Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Mike Brown, Dino Phaneuf, Franson etc, the Leafs are now one of the toughest team in the NHL. I don't think even the Bruins can intimdate them.

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,724 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Lol Understand.

Burke built all his teams in TO, including a lot of the players you mentioned, out of pure truculence. That truculence? Lost. Huge.
Posted Image

#3 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

go cheer for the laffs

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#4 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Isn't Fraser 1st in the league in plus minus lol

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#5 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Lol Understand.

Burke built all his teams in TO, including a lot of the players you mentioned, out of pure truculence. That truculence? Lost. Huge.

Did you watch the games they played against the Habs and the Flyers? The truculence was there!!!!!

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,724 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Did you watch the games they played against the Habs and the Flyers? The truculence was there!!!!!

Lol Understand. The truculence was always there. But now they're winning a few instead of losing a lot. So it's not just truculence that matters.

However, it's early. TO will likely crumble as their non-truculent guys start folding. Like last season.
Posted Image

#7 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Canucks tougness is far superior to the leafs at least canucks can score hit unlike the leafs which can do all three

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 12 February 2013 - 07:59 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#8 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,757 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Oh goodness.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#9 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't disagree with having one heavyweight enforcer, but we don't need a team full of them like the Maple Leafs.

Posted Image

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,724 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Don Cherry also said this on Saturday. There is a point to having enforcer-types and bangers, yes. But what the senile old fart forgot is that TO has seen a lot of those guys come and go during this long, long playoff drought.

But now it's a 'formula'?

Please...
Posted Image

#11 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I don't necessarily think that toughness is the "winning formula" but I believe that toughness has a positive trickle down effect on teams. Having tough guys to back you up will give you more confidence to play the way you want and maybe even add a physical element to your game.

This is why toughness is effective. Our star players can focus on playing their game because they know the goons on the other teams won't be after them all game. Those goons will be kept in check by the ones on our team. Also, as mentioned above, having a couple tough guys makes everyone more physical. I noticed that the Sedins have been playing a more physical game.

Having 23 guys hitting the opponent is much more effective than having 1-2 designated hitters. The other team will be worn down MUCH faster.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#12 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Look at the Leafs since they added toughness into their lineup....now sitting 4th in the league.

With Mark Fraser, Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Mike Brown, Dino Phaneuf, Franson etc, the Leafs are now one of the toughest team in the NHL. I don't think even the Bruins can intimdate them.

Franson is tough now?... Like Cody I'm 6'5 and won't throw a hit Franson... Is JVR suddenly tough now to?.... I just don't Understand

The reason they're even having remote success is better team defence under a better coaching system. While also getting contributions from youngsters in Kadri and Frattin

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 12 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#13 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,954 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Boston is sitting 1st they must be really tough then

#14 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Don Cherry also said this on Saturday. There is a point to having enforcer-types and bangers, yes. But what the senile old fart forgot is that TO has seen a lot of those guys come and go during this long, long playoff drought.

But now it's a 'formula'?

Please...

Not only Don Cherry, but the radio guys always think the Leafs are now a tough team and that no one can push them around. This frees up space for their little guys to make play. At the end of the year, guys like Orr or Volpatti will probably get 1-2 goals max anways, why not have a legit tough guy like Orr instead???

#15 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,757 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Franson is tough now?... Like Cody I'm 6'5 and won't throw a hit Franson... Is JVR suddenly tough now to?.... I just don't Understand

The reason they're even having remote success is better team defence under a better coaching system. While also getting contributions from youngsters in Kadri and Frattin

Yeah, Wilson was an idiot. We'll see if it's lasts, I doubt it.

Frattin is a good player though I think. it won't last.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#16 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Toughness comes out in the playoffs when the whistles get put away. This is why we will continue to lose, no matter how much success we have in the regular season.

Mark my words, same thing will happen in April/May just like the last few years past. Team's know how to win against the Canuck's is with toughness and intimidation.

It's a shame. This is a great team and it is being limited/exposed by this one underlying factor.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#17 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Not only Don Cherry, but the radio guys always think the Leafs are now a tough team and that no one can push them around. This frees up space for their little guys to make play. At the end of the year, guys like Orr or Volpatti will probably get 1-2 goals max anways, why not have a legit tough guy like Orr instead???

I've been saying this for a while now. Canuck's are major hypocrites on this issue.

Continue to stress how 4th liners need to play a regular shift and be able to "play" not just fight.

Yet Volpatti played all of 4 minutes tonight, and has 1 goal in each of his 3 seasons with the Canucks.

He is an OK fighter, but if you are going to ice a player like that, why not an established heavy weight. Makes zero sense.
Posted Image

#18 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Question. Without toughness on the Bruins would that rat Marchand act like he does?

#19 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Question. Without toughness on the Bruins would that rat Marchand act like he does?

Pretty sure he wouldn't be breathing by now. :emot-parrot:

But you are right.

Without the likes of Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Chara, MacDermid and Horton standing in front of him, he wouldn't be pulling that sh*t.

Edited by Rypien37, 13 February 2013 - 12:05 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I've been saying this for a while now. Canuck's are major hypocrites on this issue.

Continue to stress how 4th liners need to play a regular shift and be able to "play" not just fight.

Yet Volpatti played all of 4 minutes tonight, and has 1 goal in each of his 3 seasons with the Canucks.

He is an OK fighter, but if you are going to ice a player like that, why not an established heavy weight. Makes zero sense.

That's exactly what I mean....if we have a forth liner who can't fight but put on 15 points a season, that's OK. We continue to fool ourselves by saying that our 4th liner are better than other teams who have legit enforcrers, but at the end of the year, the stats can't back that up. Our 4th liners such as Volpatti or Weise are no better than guys like Thronton, Orr, etc.

#21 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

But you are right.

Without the likes of Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Chara, MacDermid and Horton standing in front of him, he wouldn't be pulling that sh*t.

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

But you are right.

This answers the OP's question then.

Toughness lets all players to play at a higher level and with more confidence. Hence its a winning formula.

#23 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

This answers the OP's question then.

Toughness lets all players to play at a higher level and with more confidence. Hence its a winning formula.

Of course. Just take a look at all the cup winners in the past decade MINUS Detroit.

It's a proven formula, yet every time I bring it up people of CDC still continue to disprove this obvious fact.
Posted Image

#24 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

I'd love to see Parros come back here if Lu goes to Florida. We haven't had a legit enforcer here since Brashear. Much as I loved Ripper, he didn't have the deterring effect Gino or Brashear did.

Edited by Number14, 13 February 2013 - 12:56 AM.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#25 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

But you are right.

I don't think Horton should be in there... he's apart of the trickle down effect like marchand -- only acts tough and then gets others to back him up.

#26 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Of course. Just take a look at all the cup winners in the past decade MINUS Detroit.

It's a proven formula, yet every time I bring it up people of CDC still continue to disprove this obvious fact.

That's why I always say Canucks need another top 9 forward who brings size and toughness and a Right Handed Dman who can clear the crease.

Brouwer would do wonders for this team. Plus a Dman like Gerald Diduck of 94.

#27 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

This. The Leafs are winning because they are getting contribution from their youngsters. They have more depth on their roster than they have had in years. Toughness is but a small component of a winning team, depth matters a lot more.

Edited by Toews, 13 February 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#28 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'd love to see Parros come back here if Lu goes to Florida. We haven't had a legit enforcer here since Brashear. Much as I loved Ripper, he didn't have the deterring effect Gino or Brashear did.

We had a chance to sign Parros as a UFA this summer.
Posted Image

#29 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

That's why I always say Canucks need another top 9 forward who brings size and toughness and a Right Handed Dman who can clear the crease.

Brouwer would do wonders for this team. Plus a Dman like Gerald Diduck of 94.

100% agree.
Posted Image

#30 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I won't disagree that toughness is a needed ingredient, but It's far from a proven formula. Since the lockout the only Anaheim Boston and LA have won the cup playing that style of hockey, if you look at Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago they were more skill teams rather than tough teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.