The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Well this discussion sure died off over nothing lol, anyways pretty good game so far, Weise actually held his own pretty good for a guy that basically got jumped for a good hit, wish the league would crack down more on this so there wasn't a fight after every clean big hit

Chicago was tougher. Played bigger because of Butfyglen, Bolland, etc.

Anaheim was tougher. Grittier.

LA was too.

Detroit in many ways was tougher as well. Took tons of abuse and kept rolling.

Pitt not so tough.

Were those teams packed with fighters? Nope. Can Bolland kick Kesler's ass? Yep. Can Buttfyglin kick Bieksa's ass? Yep. Can Patty Kane kick Burr's ass? Anyone can kick Burr's ass. He's a hair puller and a diver.

No. It's not fighting alone. It's being able to back up your between-the-whistle nonsense. It's being able to call your opponent out with the knowledge that he actually is intimidated by it because he knows you are, indeed, tougher than he is. It's the stuff you're not afraid to do because you know you can whoop the other guy if it came to that.

The Canucks aren't he right kind of tough, IMO. There have been moves made in the right direction in past couple of seasons, but we're not there yet.

Show me a team that wins because of toughness, and I'll show you one that doesn't win because of toughness.

Toughness helps, but you still need your skilled players, and goalies, to step up when it matters. We have yet to have our skilled players step up consistently in the playoffs, and that's why we haven't won it all yet.

It's a fine balance between toughness and skill, and Gillis has been trying to find the right balance. But thinking that if we just add a bunch of tough players, that we'll win is a ridiculous notion.

Rome did try to awnser but got the book thrown at him, then picked back up and was beaten with it for a pretty questionable hit. (Penalty yes, suspension? certainly not in the regular season for a player with no prior history) Or do you disagree?

While I've never wanted to be one to just blame officials or the league watching everything from that whole series it's hard not to say they didn't affect the outcome at least.

Absolutely.

Adding a 250 pound guy who cant skate and doesn't bring anything, who won't see any ice time in the playoffs at the expense of a 4th round pick makes no sense to me either.

Boston didn't win because of toughness, they won because of goaltending, defensive strategy, because they were facing an injured opponent, and because they were more motivated and wanted it more.

Thornton coming into the line-up wasn't the missing key that won them the cup, it was Thomas & injuries/suspension more than anything.

Alright at least my sarcasm meter still works lol :P

I wouldn't say Burr often resorts to those things, he resorts to diving and being dramatic more. He's pulled hair once for sure, maybe twice if my memories right (which it usually isn't lol) and he bit Bergeron because he literally stuck his finger inside his mouth. I woulda bit him to haha

I never claimed they won those fights, But either of them against the guys you mentioned I'd put my money on our guys.

I would have liked an Ott for Raymond trade last season which was rumored but never came to fruition. But that wouldn't satisfy half the ppl I've been discussing with who've been calling for someone 6'4+ , 240pnds

Ott can actually play the game on the 3rd line and be an effective player and a deterrent so I'd support bringing him on. I'm still against needing an Orr or Parros or someone like that to only play 5 minutes a game

I don't disagree in general. Take yesterdays Chicago game for example though; I don't think we lost because we were not tough.

I think we lost because we could not get the puck up the ice. How many turnovers caused 2 on 1's, 3 on 2's, how much extra time did we spend defending in our own end?

Its a game where you don't look tough because someone else is bigger or faster and you don't stack up!

Of course. Just take a look at all the cup winners in the past decade MINUS Detroit. It's a proven formula, yet every time I bring it up people of CDC still continue to disprove this obvious fact.

Archived