The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Why is it so important to have a capable fighter on defense? The Canucks' style of play requires MOBILE defenseman, you get some 230lb + tough D man he wouldn't fit into the Canucks' system. We had plenty of big tough D men in 09 they were completely exposed by Chicago, why do you think Gillis acquired mobile D like Ehrhoff Hammer and Ballard.

Show me a team that wins because of toughness, and I'll show you one that doesn't win because of toughness.

Toughness helps, but you still need your skilled players, and goalies, to step up when it matters. We have yet to have our skilled players step up consistently in the playoffs, and that's why we haven't won it all yet.

It's a fine balance between toughness and skill, and Gillis has been trying to find the right balance. But thinking that if we just add a bunch of tough players, that we'll win is a ridiculous notion.

You should google the words "Maple Leafs PDO"

I think that will speak a lot more clearly about whats going on.

I don't want to tell you that you're wrong... but to say that Frazer Mcclaren is the reason the Leafs are doing decent is the furthest thing possible from correct.

That's the whole point. The leafs sucked for the past 4 years under Wilson, who does not like BIG and TOUGH hokcey. Now with the new coach, the team adds several legit tough guys and look what happened? The Leafs used to get owed by big teams like the Flyers, but the leafs have already beaten the Flyers twice this season. See the point?

That's the whole point. The leafs sucked for the past 4 years under Wilson, who does not like BIG and TOUGH hokcey. Now with the new coach, the team adds several legit tough guys and look what happened? The Leafs used to get owed by big teams like the Flyers, but the leafs have already beaten the Flyers twice this season. See the point?

"If you can't beat em in the ally you can't beat em on the ice" Conn Smythe

Toughness has always been a part of the equation, nearly every cup winner has had its share of tough guys and enforcers, the trick is finding tough guys who can play a regular shift (Chris Neil, Brandon Prust) and not take too many stupid penalties that hurt you. Tough guys are not the same as Goons or Thugs.

Wilson doesn't like big and tough hockey? where are you getting your facts from? And no, under the new coach they only added McLaren. It's ridiculous to think that adding McLaren suddenly made them a good team. They have good prospects stepping up right now Kadri, Frattin JVR Kulemin and that's why they've had a little success recently. I don't see the point Leafs used to get owned by everybody not just big teams, beating Philly in 2 regular season games prove nothing.

Archived