The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Yea, I don't know why people seem to think that every other team is so tough. There are few teams in the league that are actually really tough.

The Canucks have enough toughness to match most of the teams in the league.

Of course if we can add a tough guy that can play we will, but those players aren't readily available very often.

Don Cherry also said this on Saturday. There is a point to having enforcer-types and bangers, yes. But what the senile old fart forgot is that TO has seen a lot of those guys come and go during this long, long playoff drought.

But now it's a 'formula'?

Please...

I admit I'm just spitballin' here, but imagine if we then pried Mike Brown out of Toronto somehow.

Suddenly your fourth line is Volpatti-Konopka-Brown. All three are mid-sized tough players that can skate, and they play for very little money. Doesn't this little bit of tinkering change the look quite a bit?

The guys I highlighted aren't tough fighters.

If they are all classified as tough guys, then we have:

Kesler, Kassian, Bieksa, Hansen, Lappierre, Volpatti, Weise, Burrows, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts who all fall under that category aswell then.

Toughness in the playoffs is about physicality, an areas we have continued to address and have addressed.

This is why you have to get guys who can play.

Not goons, otherwise they can do stupid things that can cost you.

Everyone wants to get Troy Brouwer, to add this major jolt of toughness.

But he only has 1 fight in his entire playoff career, and it was against Kevin Bieksa in a blowout game, and it wasn't even a fight, it was more like a scrum with punches being thrown.

Playoff toughness isn't what you guys think it is, and we don't lack it when compared to most teams other than the Bruins.

Kenopka's a good faceoff guy, and I wouldn't mind adding him. But Lapierre adds more to the team than Kenopka.

Who would you rather have out on the ice in the dying minutes of a 1 goal lead, Lapierre or Kenopka? I think I would go with Lapierre.

If we wanna add legitimate toughness, I think it needs to be someone that plays regular minutes in our top 9. That's why I still think Troy Brouwer would be the perfect addition to this team. I would give up any one of our prospects other than Jensen to get him.

I think you need to realize what toughness actually is in the playoffs, its not fighting.

Jordan Nolan and Dwight King are both productive players, that fight. Like Weise, Volpatti and Lappierre. They aren't goons, they actually bring things to the game like Lappierre, Weise and Volpatti do.

I'm sorry we aren't going to bring in a Jay Rosehill. If anything the guy we bring in would have to add more to the team than Lappierre does, or than Weise does. We aren't going to have a goon just for the sake of having a goon, because he isn't needed in the playoffs. That's what you seem to be missing.

Archived