The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Kenopka's a good faceoff guy, and I wouldn't mind adding him. But Lapierre adds more to the team than Kenopka.

Who would you rather have out on the ice in the dying minutes of a 1 goal lead, Lapierre or Kenopka? I think I would go with Lapierre.

If we wanna add legitimate toughness, I think it needs to be someone that plays regular minutes in our top 9. That's why I still think Troy Brouwer would be the perfect addition to this team. I would give up any one of our prospects other than Jensen to get him.

It is a dilemma alright, I'm not saying it isn't Unfortunately Lucic and Chara aren't available. The thing is, I don't think we're in that 'kinder gentler future' that Gillis thinks we live in today where toughness isn't needed in the playoffs. I fear that Gillis' pollyanna viewpoint is gonna cost us our shot.

I hope I'm wrong because I'm convinced things aren't going to change.

I don't know if that's true exactly. He would have never traded Hodgson for Kassian if that was. And he wouldn't have signed a guy like Vandermeer.

He definitely wants to add toughness to the team. I think you've gotta give him more credit than that. The problem comes down to us having limited cap space and limited assets to make trades. It would be nice if we had a bunch of young players to trade like LA did, but we don't.

We'll see what happens come trade deadline though. I could see him adding a couple pieces to address this. If we can somehow pry guys like Morrow, Neil, or Brouwer away from their teams, I'd be more than happy if Gillis gave up a first round pick and a prospect for them. The time to do something is now. We may never have a better team than this one.

I don't know if that's true exactly. He would have never traded Hodgson for Kassian if that was. And he wouldn't have signed a guy like Vandermeer.

He definitely wants to add toughness to the team. I think you've gotta give him more credit than that. The problem comes down to us having limited cap space and limited assets to make trades. It would be nice if we had a bunch of young players to trade like LA did, but we don't.

We'll see what happens come trade deadline though. I could see him adding a couple pieces to address this. If we can somehow pry guys like Morrow, Neil, or Brouwer away from their teams, I'd be more than happy if Gillis gave up a first round pick and a prospect for them. The time to do something is now. We may never have a better team than this one.

The only issue is where would those guys fit.

If Dallas isn't in a playoff position (and even maybe if they are) Morrow could be pryed away quite easily, although where would he fit is the problem. Brouwer probably is someone WSH will hang onto, some goes for Neil.

We need a LH guy who can take big draws & be counted on in big defensive situations, & killing penalties, so Keslers defensive responsibilities can be cut back (Which would keep him healthier) and so Henrik doesn't have to be used as the only LH guy we have to take big draws.

He has been terrible this year, and last year wasn't very good.

Shouldn't take much, it would likely be a deal like that Jamie Langenbrunner deal was (From NJD to DAL) a few years ago.

I would go like this personally since our 3rd line has been so good.

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Morrow - Lappierre - Higgins

The issue then becomes having only Henrik as a LH faceoff guy. I think adding him becomes overkill on wingers honestly (that we don't need) unless we ship one out and bring in a center or something.

Exactly, which is why his value is low. I doubt they re-sign him so he could likely be had for a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

He hasn't been terrible. He's still putting up .5 PPG. Most of his value comes from his physical play, grit, and leadership though. He's the type of veteran you win with in the playoffs.

I don't think you can ever have too much depth up front. Look at the toll going to the finals took on the team 2 years ago. If we had Morrow on the fourth line that year, he could have moved up to the second line when Raymond went down instead of having to use tambellini. We'd easily have the best 4th line in the league.

Take a look at our current top 9.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

ONE, count it, ONE player out of the forwards who will be playing the majority of the time, in key situations, is tough.

We only have 2 legitimately tough forwards on our whole roster. Volpatti and Kassian.

If you honestly think we are tough enough, I won't bother arguing. Just be sure to bring this thread up during the playoffs.

edit: Kings had: Brown, Richards, King, Nolan, Clifford, Fraser, Greene, Mitchel and Penner who either brought big size and hits or toughness to the table. In NO way were we tougher then them, and it showed.

When a player like Dustin Brown is your captain, you know you have a gritty team.

I don't understand all the Volpatti hate, he's a pretty respectable 4th line guy. Throws a couple good hits a game, skates and checks well and fights when needed. And does a pretty respectable job. Obviously Gillis believes in him since he didn't waive him down to the wolves through the lockout because of fear of being claimed.

Half the 4th liners and grinders CDC ends up drooling over are guys that have only had 1 successful year in the role and then usually regressed by the next season, it's hard to always make a positive impact in that amount of ice time. And the guys that can do it year to year, your Shawn Thorntons, Brad Mays, Travis Moens, and Chris Neil's are always paid twice as much as the rest and are almost never on the trade block.

Another note I'd like to add, once you trade for a Jared Boll or whoever you're targeting (and I do like Boll don't get me wrong) there's no guarantee they're going to come over to a new team and succeed. (Coltan Orr last year)Especially if they're leaving the first team they've ever played for. When you leave behind those connections and comfort ability it can make it very difficult to perform your role well. Especially coming to a hockey hotbed like Vancouver

Toughness comes out in the playoffs when the whistles get put away. This is why we will continue to lose, no matter how much success we have in the regular season.

Mark my words, same thing will happen in April/May just like the last few years past. Team's know how to win against the Canuck's is with toughness and intimidation.

It's a shame. This is a great team and it is being limited/exposed by this one underlying factor.

Archived