The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

I hope you're right, but my gut says Gillis has found religion as a hockey pacifist and won't do anything to protect his key players in spite of direct personal experience that screams that he should.

Again, I really hope that I'm wrong here. Been a Canuck fan since the Lester Patrick Cup days of the late sixties.

Orr, McLaren, and the Leafs fought their way to another victory.....

Ever since the Leafs dresses all their tougness in the lineup (Orr, McLaren, Fraser, Brown), the Leafs have looked like the Bruins!

With Orr, McLaren, Fraser, Brown + guys like Phaneuf, Franson, Kostka etc, no one can push the Leafs around now....

This is why you have to get guys who can play.

Not goons, otherwise they can do stupid things that can cost you.

Everyone wants to get Troy Brouwer, to add this major jolt of toughness.

But he only has 1 fight in his entire playoff career, and it was against Kevin Bieksa in a blowout game, and it wasn't even a fight, it was more like a scrum with punches being thrown.

Playoff toughness isn't what you guys think it is, and we don't lack it when compared to most teams other than the Bruins.

So what happens again if we meet them in the finals? They'll take liberties on the Sedins... again :picard: We already match up with them in skill. But toughness? It's a different game in the playoffs. Bringing in a high caliber enforcer won't hurt us. The coaches and management will have a sit down and talk to the player about their role on the team. With a winning team like ours, they'll think twice before taking dumb penalties. We all know the Canucks are the most hated team in the NHL so why not give other teams a reason to hate us even more :bigblush:

Brouwer isn't an enforcer, hes not the guy that is going to do that stuff and the 250 pounds guys that cant skate rarely get any time in the playoffs, we have Volpatti and we have Kassian, this team in general has muscle we just never chose to us it, its more of a culture change although if something happens we do have a few guys, not to mention we have Vandermeer waiting in the wings who is more than capable of standing up for teammates.

I never said we should get Brouwer :blink: I said we needed a legit high caliber enforcer. You misinterpreted what I meant. And who cares if they don't play that many minutes, the less the better. Our team is deep enough for this to not matter. Heck, Volpatti and Weise play an average of 5-6 mins a game! (correct me if I'm wrong) We need that intimidating presence so that other teams think twice about going after our skilled players. How many minutes did Shawn Thornton play against us in the SCF? Not whole lot. But hey, give him credit, he played his role well and now he's a goon with a Stanley Cup ring. Playoffs is all about knowing your role and executing it. The players we currently have playing the roles as enforcers, aren't really well suited for that task.

It's not so much about how many minutes they play, its if they play at all. Thornton didn't dress for the 1st two games.

And Brouwer was just someone who has been thrown around alot, I apologize, I didn't mean neccisarily thats who you want.

The key is getting guys who can fight, exc. And can play. I think we have that in Volpatti and Kassian, even Vandermeer (although I have concerns about his skating) nonetheless I think we have our Thornton guy in Vandy myself, I don't see the need to go out and grab another one. Unless they can play the game and add a valuable component to the roster aswell.

It's not so much about how many minutes they play, its if they play at all. Thornton didn't dress for the 1st two games.

And Brouwer was just someone who has been thrown around alot, I apologize, I didn't mean neccisarily thats who you want.

The key is getting guys who can fight, exc. And can play. I think we have that in Volpatti and Kassian, even Vandermeer (although I have concerns about his skating) nonetheless I think we have our Thornton guy in Vandy myself, I don't see the need to go out and grab another one. Unless they can play the game and add a valuable component to the roster aswell.

This team is already full of hard nosed players. That one dimension that you think is slightly overrated on CDC is actually the final piece to the puzzle. The facts are abundantly clear. There is no doubt in my mind that without the proper enforcer, the Canucks will be looking at another similar end to their season when they reached the SCF.

We can all see what this team is lacking, how can you be so naive :picard: . I stand by my beliefs, and whether or not you agree or disagree, the Canucks will suffer the consequences if they don't acquire this key component that most NHL Stanley Cup winning teams have already done. The game is evolving and players are faster and stronger. And although It might not seem necessary to you, It is to the Canucks. The Sedins will be targeted constantly. If you can shut the Sedins down, then most likely you'll win. Think about it <_<

We can all see what this team is lacking, how can you be so naive :picard: . I stand by my beliefs, and whether or not you agree or disagree, the Canucks will suffer the consequences if they don't acquire this key component that most NHL Stanley Cup winning teams have already done. The game is evolving and players are faster and stronger. And although It might not seem necessary to you, It is to the Canucks. The Sedins will be targeted constantly. If you can shut the Sedins down, then most likely you'll win. Think about it <_<

Anyone who thinks have a 5 minute pugilist on the 4th line is gunna stop whatever line is playing 18-20+ minutes against the twins is delusional. You need someone who can play 18-20 minutes with the twins to protect them. And Gillis got him already, he's even shown success early in the season playing on their line.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but we need Kassian on the ice putting up points. Having a 5+ min "pugilist" on the 4th line will keep other teams in check. As much as I know Kassian is more than capable of protecting the Sedins, wouldn't you want that pugilist available when other teams do decide to muck things up with their own goon? I don't know if you've been watching us in the playoffs, but it's a war out there. And the blueprint to winning against the Canucks have been exposed. We need that someone to address that issue. You'll come around :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks have a 5 minute pugilist on the 4th line is gunna stop whatever line is playing 18-20+ minutes against the twins is delusional. You need someone who can play 18-20 minutes with the twins to protect them. And Gillis got him already, he's even shown success early in the season playing on their line.

Archived