The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

Look at the Leafs since they added toughness into their lineup....now sitting 4th in the league.

With Mark Fraser, Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Mike Brown, Dino Phaneuf, Franson etc, the Leafs are now one of the toughest team in the NHL. I don't think even the Bruins can intimdate them.

I don't necessarily think that toughness is the "winning formula" but I believe that toughness has a positive trickle down effect on teams. Having tough guys to back you up will give you more confidence to play the way you want and maybe even add a physical element to your game.

This is why toughness is effective. Our star players can focus on playing their game because they know the goons on the other teams won't be after them all game. Those goons will be kept in check by the ones on our team. Also, as mentioned above, having a couple tough guys makes everyone more physical. I noticed that the Sedins have been playing a more physical game.

Having 23 guys hitting the opponent is much more effective than having 1-2 designated hitters. The other team will be worn down MUCH faster.

Franson is tough now?... Like Cody I'm 6'5 and won't throw a hit Franson... Is JVR suddenly tough now to?.... I just don't Understand

The reason they're even having remote success is better team defence under a better coaching system. While also getting contributions from youngsters in Kadri and Frattin

Toughness comes out in the playoffs when the whistles get put away. This is why we will continue to lose, no matter how much success we have in the regular season.

Mark my words, same thing will happen in April/May just like the last few years past. Team's know how to win against the Canuck's is with toughness and intimidation.

It's a shame. This is a great team and it is being limited/exposed by this one underlying factor.

Not only Don Cherry, but the radio guys always think the Leafs are now a tough team and that no one can push them around. This frees up space for their little guys to make play. At the end of the year, guys like Orr or Volpatti will probably get 1-2 goals max anways, why not have a legit tough guy like Orr instead???

I've been saying this for a while now. Canuck's are major hypocrites on this issue.

Continue to stress how 4th liners need to play a regular shift and be able to "play" not just fight.

Yet Volpatti played all of 4 minutes tonight, and has 1 goal in each of his 3 seasons with the Canucks.

He is an OK fighter, but if you are going to ice a player like that, why not an established heavy weight. Makes zero sense.

Archived