The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Ryan O'Reilly done in Colorado

CoreyPerry

Restricted free agent forward Ryan O'Reilly might have played his last game with the Colorado Avalanche after failing to agree to a new contract with the team thus far.

Speaking on Insider Trading on Tuesday night, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said that according to sources, the Avalanche have already started trade discussions with Eastern Conference teams.

Dreger added that the expected return that Colorado would want in a trade would be a roster player and a top prospect.

Dreger and fellow TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie further explored the 22-year-old's future with the club.

McKenzie asked both the Avalanche and O'Reilly's representatives about rumours that the forward asked to be moved, but both sides decided to neither reject nor confirm the reports.

The contract impasse stemmed from the fact that the Avs wanted O'Reilly to take the same deal that Matt Duchene took, a two year deal worth a total of $7 million. The club also offered O'Reilly a five-year deal worth $17 million. The forward and his camp reportedly want to be paid based on how he played last year.

O'Reilly played in 81 games with the Avs in 2011-12, and scored 18 goals and 37 assists.

Ok, I'll assume he is heading east, and the acquiring team needs pick. Everyone is talking CBJ, but they are in the west.

How about Montreal maybe? They have several 2nd rounders including CGY 2nd round pick.

Eller + CGY 2nd? for O'Reilly? Not sure if this is fair or not, haven't watched any Montreal games lately.

Ok, I'll assume he is heading east, and the acquiring team needs pick. Everyone is talking CBJ, but they are in the west.

How about Montreal maybe? They have several 2nd rounders including CGY 2nd round pick.

Eller + CGY 2nd? for O'Reilly? Not sure if this is fair or not, haven't watched any Montreal games lately.

another young player coming out of entry level demanding the world, hopefully the PK subban contract is more the norm for players coming out of entry level and not oreilly trying to hit a homerun on 1 good year.

55points on the first line is tyler bozak type production i sure wouldnt pay him 4.5-5million/year for any longer than 2 years. Oreilly brings a lot to the table in other ways but his contract demands at this point are just ludicrous.

another young player coming out of entry level demanding the world, hopefully the PK subban contract is more the norm for players coming out of entry level and not oreilly trying to hit a homerun on 1 good year.

55points on the first line is tyler bozak type production i sure wouldnt pay him 4.5-5million/year for any longer than 2 years. Oreilly brings a lot to the table in other ways but his contract demands at this point are just ludicrous.

Colorado wont mind trading with us, since it wont affect them in the standings anyways :towel: .

Considering the cap situation, however, I don't see how we can do it without moving considerable cap or resigning ourselves to a buyout - I don't think they're interested in another goalie and I don't think we want to give them one.

he wont get traded here unless we severely over pay but if he did, he would play 3rd line center for our hopefully deep playoff run as well as pk and pp time. or we throw him on kesler wing and see what he can do as a winger

But its slim to not chance to happening as someone will give up a player and top prospect for what? a 1 year proven 55 point guy who played huge minutes on a piss poor depleted avalanche team? lets see him do it a bit more often before we start overpaying. the team that trade for him still needs to sign him

dont get me wrong would like to have him, but not at a high asking price

Archived