The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Arena Security is Partially to Blame for Quiet Crowd!

Danimal

I clearly do care. I'm a huge Canucks' fan but I have bigger responsibilities in my life then just the Canucks. I don't watch out of the corner of my eye either. I'm focused on the game period. However I can't sacrifice the rest of my life. People depend on me. Thats what some people don't get. Some people love the Canucks but we do have bigger priorities in life.

I know what a joke!!! One time I even got kicked out for being to quite!!! yup TO QUIET!!!! christ who do they think they are?? I made many consession stops that night and was so quite I was sleeping!!! I must have gave them ATLEAST $100 in beer sales by my self then after that they had the nerve to kick me out for being to quite. Since when did sleeping in your chair disturbe anyone?

Experience it yourself yet? Have you? Were you there when the crowd chanted Manny for like 15 straight minutes non-stop? Were you there when Burrows potted the goal and the place when absolutely nuts? Did you experience Lappy score in Game 5 and the whole place went absolutely bonkers? Were you there when the crowed Luu'd when he saved Sharp's shot in OT?

Yeah, exactly.

Yeah I was at this game (hoping Henrik would pick up some points). I heard the chanting, thought it was awesome. I actually was saying to the person next to me I wish I was closer so I could hear the words and learn the song. It was far away from me so it didn't sound that loud. It could be loud if you are next to them, but really (like someone mentioned earlier) you are at a live sporting event, watching our national sport. Hockey. Plus you are watching one of the best teams in the league.

I guess what I am saying is. Make some noise or stay at home.

:)

Also, does anyone know the words to our anthem? People were looking at me cockeyed just singing the words at a normal volume.

Unless youv'e had season tickets since 1988 than, I've probably been to more games than you. So save your pathetic, condescensing opinion. The crowd was louder back in the Coliseum and the crowds are louder in other arena's.

Maybe you should go check out a hockey game in any other city and see what hockey atmosphere should be like before you express your sheltered opinion.

I'm confused.....you're running down the atmosphere in Rogers, yet you admit that you sit quietly and text during the game, or leave part way through. That's like Vader saying "you know what's wrong with the Death Star? Too much Dark Side"

I'm sorry but, yes, it is a problem. The fact that you paid the money doesn't change the fact that you are not contributing to the experience more positively than someone else would (you know, the other 4,000 people on the wait list).

If you show up late and leave early, which it sounds like you may, while not being fully committed to being 'present' during a game, which has limited seating capacity, or spend your time in the concourse rather than in the bowl, then you along with people like you are contributing to the lack of emotion that is paramount to the experience. IMHO, you actually sound spoiled.

You do realize your empty seat is fully visible on TV, correct? Aren't you embarrassed by that fact?

canuckleheadder, Dude, dont bother. Plebs have an "eat the rich" mentality these days. They are supposed to be able to do whatever they want be cause they bought a ticket and then turn around and give you crap when you decide to do whatever it is you want with your ticket. Effin hippocrites. Everything you say will just make the posts stupider and stupider.

If I've read this incorrectly, ignore the following comments. If I haven't, c'mon, be fair about it.

Just because someone does something as a career that means they can't attend every game from start to finish doesn't mean they don't have a right to be there. I'd absolutely agree if you aren't being a part of the atmosphere in the arena that you aren't contributing to it, but is that something to lay blame on someone for when they are present as much as they can be and are actual hockey fans?

We know there are people there who don't really know what's going on and sit quietly, and there are some that are very knowledgeable but don't do as much to yell and make noise. That's the way it is, you aren't going to change those people into more fanatic than fan. Nor should those people (or the people who actual own the tickets) have to sell them so someone who's louder can take their place.

Would it be nice if there was more buzz in Rogers Arena? Sure. Would it be nice if we managed that without preventing others from enjoying the experience by blocking their view or being rude and obnoxious? Absolutely. Should people who are more reserved but still fans give up tickets, or should corporations/businesses who buy tickets to give to customers/employees step aside for people that do a better job of cheering? No, and it's unrealistic to think that'd even be possible in a market with higher demand than supply.

Southsiders ejected from Canucks game; Are you kidding me?

I'm sure that by now, most of you have heard about the Southsiders encounter with Rogers Arena security last night, during the Vancouver Canucks 2-1 win over the Minnesota Wild.

It's been a running story/joke in Van city that Rogers Arena is more crypt than rink, that the fans generally seem uninterested in the game around them, and that you can usually hear a pin drop in the place.

That reputation can only be furthered after the Southsiders were kicked out of the sporting venue for - Gasp!- cheering! I spoke to a Southsider today that's actually a good friend of mine. While his opinion is obviously going to be a bit biased, I trust his word and his relation of the events.

Essentially, the Southsiders were cheering like they were at a Whitecaps match; standing up, singing songs with 'Vancouver Canucks' inserted in them, and waving their scarves. My friend told me there were no profanities being thrown about in their cheers, either. Anyways, they were then told by security that they couldn't stand because it was a 'liability' issue. One southsider related that security told them they could only stand up when a goal was scored. (WHAT!?!) After Southsiders raised an eyebrow and essentially collectively said, 'are you kidding me?', they were promptly ejected.

This bothers me for a few reasons. Firstly, It's a god damn sporting event, it's not church. You're supposed to be loud, you're supposed to have fun and cheer, you're supposed to create an atmosphere that provides the home team with a slight advantage.

Secondly, to the best of my knowledge, the Southsiders weren't doing anything ridiculous, they were simply cheering like passionate fans. Could you imagine getting tossed out of BC Place for standing? For singing songs? Of course not, because that's a mind numbingly stupid notion. Whitecaps matches and BC Lions games are almost always loud, exciting affairs, with fans really getting involved in the action. Why can't that translate over to Rogers Arena, to the storied past time that is supposed to be 'Canada's game?' This isn't golf for christs sake.

Lastly, once again, to the best of my knowledge, the Southsiders were up in the nosebleed seats and when they stood, the only vision that was being obstructed was that of Southsiders that were sitting down, and they weren't complaining to security. So, who were the 'siders hurting? They paid for their seats, and as long as they aren't acting like idiots, they should be able to enjoy themselves. I mean, this is an organization that prides itself on being some of the best fans in the world; are we really going to hit them on the nose and say no to that level of commitment? I mean, Canucks management should be working on replicating a hockey version of the Southsiders, not treating passionate fans like intruders.

It also begs a slew of questions to be asked. What is wrong with standing? Is this some sort of ridiculous joke? Are the security guards simply power tripping, thinking that they're jobs are far more important than they actually are? Are they merely enforcing some set of rules passed down from Canucks management? Is this just a gigantic overreaction to the riot?

In any case, I think we can all just finally nod in agreement that Vancouver truly deserves the moniker of 'No Fun City?'

I'll tell you, for the amount of money that Canucks management charges for every home game, fans should really be cut some slack. Considering that the team has unbelievable fan support (what's the sellout streak at? 400 games?), anybody should be able to stand up, cheer loudly, and get involved in the game.

Finally, I understand that there are two sides to every issue. I understand that some members of the Southsiders were probably being rowdy, but give me a freaking break. They were essentially quarantined into their own zone, trying to liven up a dead crowd. They should be given accolades, not kicked out to the curb so that Rogers Arena can maintain their ridiculous crowd 'rules.'

I guess the final point I'd like to make is that, from a guy that considers himself a huge soccer and hockey fan, that I've been to games for both Vancouver franchises. I've seen the Canucks play, and I've seen the Whitecaps play, and brother, there comparison between crowds at both events isn't even fair. Whitecaps fans blow Canucks fans out of the water when it comes to cheering for the home boys. So perhaps being thrown out was a blessing in disguise; Whitecaps fans can save all their energy for March, when the season gets going. Canucks fans can continue looking at their smart phones and half-assedly (did I just make a new word?) cheering when they feel like it.

I know which crowd I'd rather be a part of.

*This got pretty ranty towards the end. Forgive the long read.

@theminister: I apologize for making you spend the time to write that all out! But yes, we agree on many things, and excuses for why people are the way they are won't cut it when they're actually a part of a problem, but it's fair enough to say the people who complain the loudest and think they've been wrongly mistreated don't always have a case from the other end of the spectrum from a quiet fan.

I like to use the walking-in-the-mall-at-Christmas example of how people have lost respect for one another and only think of themselves. People walk slowly and 4 or 5 people abreast in the middle of a massive crowd where others are trying to move the opposite direction, or even the same direction but at a more normal walking speed. We're all familiar with that from walking the concourse at Rogers Arena before, during and after the games.

@The Bookie: What do you want to bet some idiot has actually fallen and hurt himself while drunk (or maybe not even while drunk) because he was standing up and jumping around and sued. If not the Canucks, then for some other sports franchise, and with the steep stairs and that in some venues (like Rogers Arena) it certainly makes sense they'd think of that.

Does sitting down really limit their ability to enjoy a game? Do they have to give security such a hard time after they were asked to do something and complain when security comes back for them not playing along? If they were being rowdy, or blocking he view of some other fans as was mentioned earlier, then they were in the wrong.

People can have fun and create a buzz in the arena (I'll use that as a more positive substitute of the word 'noise') without going over the top, and it sounds like they went over the top.

I've never been to a game where I've seen someone who didn't deserve it being kicked out (and that has been only once in the numerous times I've gone there). I cheer 'Luuuuuuu' and do the DLR 'Whooo!' after goals, do the wave, have fun with some opposing teams fans (in a respectful way), sing out loud to the anthem, drink 2-4 beer each game and stand up and cheer when I think I should yet I've never heard someone complain about me or had security ask me to tone it down.

I know what a joke!!! One time I even got kicked out for being to quite!!! yup TO QUIET!!!! christ who do they think they are?? I made many consession stops that night and was so quite I was sleeping!!! I must have gave them ATLEAST $100 in beer sales by my self then after that they had the nerve to kick me out for being to quite. Since when did sleeping in your chair disturbe anyone?

I go to the games to watch hockey not to hear some idiots yelling, swearing or singing. I will jump up if we score and am on my phone at time due to work which some of us have to deal with. I leave early sometime cause I have to get up at 5am the next day regardless of how entertaining the game is and want to beat the rush. I am the lower bowel stereotype many of you talk about on the outside but I am an avid hockey fan and played at a pretty high level for many years.

i dont think anyone has a problem with the singing or cheering chanting whatever you want to call it. but i know if my season tickets were behind them ( the southsiders were rows 13-15 in the bud zone so it is possible) i would be pretty annoyed. I certainly dont want to stand the whole game and if i take my dad who is in his late 70's he cant stand that long.

People pay a lot of money to see the canucks, not the back of some guys head or his scarf. Need to realize that just because you want to stand the whole game not everywhere else does or should have too as well. they are called "seats" for a reason.

But we do need to do something to get some atmosphere in the building and if that is by adding a standing/cheering section then great - but it needs to be designated like the whitecaps.

Archived