The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Arena Security is Partially to Blame for Quiet Crowd!

Danimal

It can be quiet at times in Rogers, sometimes maybe the security is a bit overzealous, but that doesn't mean that they are kicking people out for no good reason. As a season ticket holder of many years, I believe that someone who stands up with their cell phone to their ear waving should be kicked out, you are not there to be seen by someone at the other end of the arena, if you want to see them go to the other end of the arena....

Unfortunately there are too many people at games who still can't handle their alcohol, it only takes one or two to ruin an evening for many. I feel bad for the Southsiders, they are incredible fans, and for them to show up for a Canucks game was awesome. It's a little different int he upper bowl of Rogers, it's not actually totally safe to be standing for the whole game, unlike the bottom corner of BC Place. The security has a tough job, it's apparently very difficult for some fans to understand the concept that when they tell you to not lean on the bar in front, they actually mean that.

But face it, the sort of fans who leave with 6 minutes left in a 1 goal game are probably not the sort who will make much noise anyway.

Isn't that often the case in these discussions though? "They weren't doing anyting wrong!!!" usually ends with "...but for swearing and dumping a beer on the person in front of them". Usually people's standard is what they will tolerate ("nothing wrong with being a bit loud and rowdy"). Standing all the time and yelling might be your way of enjoying the game and is "harmless fun" but it is really annoying for the person behind them who also paid good money to watch the game, not the back of someone's head. It's hard to strike a balance.

The crowd cant be expected to be to loud on a Wednesday night games against Minny. I have noticed over the years that Rogers can be a quiet arena, but most of the time it's due to the game.

Hockey has changed into a sport that is more of a defensive battle with scoring chances being at a premium. The Canuck fans know hockey and tend to be bored with this style of todays NHL. With that being said, games being played against Chicago or Detroit tend to bring the excitement level up a notch and that in turn gets the fans more excited. I've noticed the change in atmosphere when better teams come to town.

Come playoff time, things change and the fans are generally more excited and get into it. If the southsiders did get kicked out for being to loud last night, then that is just stupid. I hope it was for another reason then this.

When I was younger, I went to a Canucks game and snuck in a Nestea.

Stupidly, I cracked the can open during a pause in play and the sound of cracking the can open was somehow heard by security and I saw them running up the steps to "confiscate" it.

I chugged the Nestea in 8 seconds and gave them the empty can by the time they finally got up to the nosebleeds.

lol, they need to do something better with their lives.

There's a reason why places like Boston, Chicago, and Philly are tough buildings to play in.

Their fans are loud, ruthless drunks, and they don't get kicked out for yelling and cheering.

Oh, but we've gotta keep the suits on their blackberries happy. God forbid you make some noise at a sporting event.

It's totally amazing how many seem to equate being loud with alcohol. Can't be loud without booze? Absolutely amazing. Essentially, it appears the idea is to get the people with their blackberries drunk, and all will be good in the arena? I hate the majority of fans downstairs, but with the cost of tickets, and the finite number available, we will always have a number attending who just want to be seen.

I have 2 questions.. Just curious, did the security tighten up after the riot or has it always been this way?

And

Sorry I don't actually live in Vancouver, who are the southsiders?

I haven't been to a live game since I was 7 in 92 but notice the terrible crowd every game on TV. It's almost embarrassing as a Canuck fan to be associated with the worst crowd in the league. I would love to see a big article written every year that ranks them all 1-30. Maybe it would open the eyes of gillis and co and embarrass them once they see they are ranked 30th in live hockey game experience.

I have 2 questions.. Just curious, did the security tighten up after the riot or has it always been this way?

And

Sorry I don't actually live in Vancouver, who are the southsiders?

I haven't been to a live game since I was 7 in 92 but notice the terrible crowd every game on TV. It's almost embarrassing as a Canuck fan to be associated with the worst crowd in the league. I would love to see a big article written every year that ranks them all 1-30. Maybe it would open the eyes of gillis and co and embarrass them once they see they are ranked 30th in live hockey game experience.

i dont think anyone has a problem with the singing or cheering chanting whatever you want to call it. but i know if my season tickets were behind them ( the southsiders were rows 13-15 in the bud zone so it is possible) i would be pretty annoyed. I certainly dont want to stand the whole game and if i take my dad who is in his late 70's he cant stand that long.

People pay a lot of money to see the canucks, not the back of some guys head or his scarf. Need to realize that just because you want to stand the whole game not everywhere else does or should have too as well. they are called "seats" for a reason.

But we do need to do something to get some atmosphere in the building and if that is by adding a standing/cheering section then great - but it needs to be designated like the whitecaps.

i dont think anyone has a problem with the singing or cheering chanting whatever you want to call it. but i know if my season tickets were behind them ( the southsiders were rows 13-15 in the bud zone so it is possible) i would be pretty annoyed. I certainly dont want to stand the whole game and if i take my dad who is in his late 70's he cant stand that long.

People pay a lot of money to see the canucks, not the back of some guys head or his scarf. Need to realize that just because you want to stand the whole game not everywhere else does or should have too as well. they are called "seats" for a reason.

But we do need to do something to get some atmosphere in the building and if that is by adding a standing/cheering section then great - but it needs to be designated like the whitecaps.

I was at the game tonight and i know its Been beaten with a dead horse but i just want to re-iterate how quiet and un-intimidating Rogers arena is! I had a friend from the EAST text me tonight who was watching the game on TSN and he asked if the weather has everyone feeling gloom and doom..

Im a season ticket holder and i lose my voice almost every other day for the Canucks when they are at home but I'll be the 1st to admitt that Rogers Arena is a morgue! Unless a goal is scored or "make some noise" is flashed up on the big screen the arena is dead silent!!!!!! WOW places like the Bell Centre in Montreal or MTS Centre in the Peg puts Vancouver to shame!!!!!

lol and the southsiders getting thrown out ! ahah what a joke!!!

Soooo many fair weathered yet over opinionated fans we have especially for a city that has won nothing!!!

Caller on TEAM 1040 just said he was directly behind them in section 301 and they were standing, waving scarves, and leaning over the railings. He was one of the people who asked the security to ask the Southsiders to move. He claims he couldn't see the ice at all because the Southsiders were holding scarves up the whole time.

Not sure what to make of that...

Maybe just maybe its because Vancouver has informed fans that care about the game. Often times I am so intesely focused on what is happening on the Ice I'm not yelling and screaming my ass off just for the sake of doing so. Those rowdy/loud fans miss a lot of what is happening the game due to trying to get the attention of people in the crowd. Also like others have said it is expensive to go to Canuck games and you are their to be entertained and not paying to be the entertainment for other spectators. Also it gets loud in there, when the Canucks score I bet it is just as loud as most buildings in the NHL. I would rather Roger's arena operate with some class rather than anything goes attitude like in Boston and Chicago etc.

Anyone who ever saw a Canucks game in the Pacific Coliseum knows that Canucks fans can be loud, rowdy and make it a tough place to be a visiting team...........GM PLace/Rogers arena has been a damper on the spirit of fans, for whatever reason, be it corporations holding seasons tix, security, or a different type of person coming to the games.

It's sad, really, we used to be loud and proud.

Archived