The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More respect than before

fanfor42

I'm noticing more repect for the Canucks than in previous years coming recently from the media and even from fans. Maybe the goalie situation that has been picked to death - yet they both continue to play well. Maybe Kesler and Booth out while the team continues to play well. Maybe the realization that two straight pres cups mean something. Maybe the emergence of young players, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev.

I dunno. But it is noticeable. The goofs still hack on them. But in general, there seems to be more respect shown. It bodes well. There is a calm descending where people are acepting the Canucks as a great team. This has not always been the case.

I know that this is a subjective assessment. I'm just suggesting that if you look for it it is there. Yes, there are examples of the opposite. There always will be. But in general, there is a measurable difference in the respect being shown to this team on blogs, chat boards and in the media.

Something for Canuck fans to appreciate as this team's due.

The more successful you are, the more hate you get. Plain and simple.

Last year we got tons of flack because we beat every team the year before except for Boston Game # 7.

Last year we got eliminated in the first round, which means the majority of jealousy is thrown towards the teams that advance further.

The only real hate we'll still be getting is from butt hurt division rivals that are tired of getting stomped by the Canucks.

I'm noticing more repect for the Canucks than in previous years coming recently from the media and even from fans. Maybe the goalie situation that has been picked to death - yet they both continue to play well. Maybe Kesler and Booth out while the team continues to play well. Maybe the realization that two straight pres cups mean something. Maybe the emergence of young players, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev.

I dunno. But it is noticeable. The goofs still hack on them. But in general, there seems to be more respect shown. It bodes well. There is a calm descending where people are acepting the Canucks as a great team. This has not always been the case.

I know that this is a subjective assessment. I'm just suggesting that if you look for it it is there. Yes, there are examples of the opposite. There always will be. But in general, there is a measurable difference in the respect being shown to this team on blogs, chat boards and in the media.

1. Added maturity level of the team as a whole has increased quite a bit.

2. A bit less diving. But early season.

3. Luongo's twitter account is loved by all. And he's back to elite form. Great combo to have.

4. Not as much cockiness it seems.

5. Youth injection.

6. 'Goaltending controversy' story has all but died.

We're still top 3 most hated teams/fanbases in hockey.

But I do agree that the team has matured and is getting more respect. There was a perceived arrogance around the Canucks in 2011, and then 2012 was just the aftermath with a first-round upset rubbing salt in the wounds.

I think time (especially with the long layoff from the lock-out) has made the hype around them die down a bit, and the team definitely is more down to earth this year, though that doesn't mean they still aren't great and confident. People take notice of the Sedins' steadfast class and quiet determination, of Luongo and Schneider really being a relaxed tandem now, and of the close-knit locker room. It does make them more likeable, even to other fans.

Archived