The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting stats

Ferlands_Head

The Canucks this year have not relied on their "potent" powerplay as they have in years past, something that's extremely encouraging this year is their 5 on 5 play. The Canucks are currently the NHL's best 5 on 5 team and are currently sitting number 1 in 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio WITHOUT 2/3 of our second line.

Vancouver 2.10

Anaheim 1.71

Chicago 1.50

Even in the Canucks' best regular season in 2010-11 they were the second best 5 on 5 team in the NHL guess who was number 1? They were the eventual Stanley Cup champs that year.

This is a good sign because during the playoffs when the refs put their whistles away and there are less penalties being called we won't be shut down like in the years past.

The excellent 5 on 5 F/A ratio i believe is a combination of our secondary scoring, solid defense and world class goaltending. We have one of the deepest defenses and THE BEST goalie tandem in the league. The special teams will sort themselves out after we get Kes and Booth back, having Kes on the PP and PK is a big difference maker. I can't wait for next week, looking forward to see how they perform against some of the best in the west.

Had a coach that use to say

penalty kill and 5-5 win you games.

power play makes you win them by more.

I would also like to thank you for a great thread.

I believe this is what CDC was intended to be.

This thread has no crying , no bias, no homerizm, no ultra pessimism, nobody asking about what name they should get on their jersey, nobody suggesting we change the goal song and even more oddly no Luongo!

would give you a +5 if I could.

Had a coach that use to say

penalty kill and 5-5 win you games.

power play makes you win them by more.

I would also like to thank you for a great thread.

I believe this is what CDC was intended to be.

This thread has no crying , no bias, no homerizm, no ultra pessimism, nobody asking about what name they should get on their jersey, nobody suggesting we change the goal song and even more oddly no Luongo!

would give you a +5 if I could.

I'd rather have a dominant 5-on-5 team than good PP and PK all season long. We shouldn't have to rely on special teams to win us games, it should be a luxury. Special teams are rarely consistent, so hopefully we can get it sparked up to complement our great even-strength play during the playoffs.

We know it can perform when it wants to, so I don't mind if it lays dormant all season until the playoffs. Until then, let's continue to beat teams the right way - with 5-on-5 play.

Great stat, great thread, VERY interesting!

Things are looking very promising this year with the improvement of our defensive play from top to bottom and the chemistry that is building throughout that is starting to give us the secondary scoring that we so desperately need. Once we get Kes and Booth back this team is going to look unreal!

P.S

Props to Coach V

Usually I am reluctant to open a "Interesting Stat" thread, but it is interesting, TSN was all over it last night as well.

I hope we can keep it up, 5 on 5 strength is what we need, and a good PK. If we hit a bad patch of reffing in the playoffs, PP won't matter, as we saw last night in to paraphrase Brian Burke "Sedin is(n't) Swedish for punch me and headlock me in a scrum"

The Canucks this year have not relied on their "potent" powerplay as they have in years past, something that's extremely encouraging this year is their 5 on 5 play. The Canucks are currently the NHL's best 5 on 5 team and are currently sitting number 1 in 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio WITHOUT 2/3 of our second line.

Vancouver 2.10

Anaheim 1.71

Chicago 1.50

Even in the Canucks' best regular season in 2010-11 they were the second best 5 on 5 team in the NHL guess who was number 1? They were the eventual Stanley Cup champs that year.

This is a good sign because during the playoffs when the refs put their whistles away and there are less penalties being called we won't be shut down like in the years past.

Archived