Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Interesting stats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

The Canucks this year have not relied on their "potent" powerplay as they have in years past, something that's extremely encouraging this year is their 5 on 5 play. The Canucks are currently the NHL's best 5 on 5 team and are currently sitting number 1 in 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio WITHOUT 2/3 of our second line.

Vancouver 2.10
Anaheim 1.71
Chicago 1.50

Even in the Canucks' best regular season in 2010-11 they were the second best 5 on 5 team in the NHL guess who was number 1? They were the eventual Stanley Cup champs that year.

This is a good sign because during the playoffs when the refs put their whistles away and there are less penalties being called we won't be shut down like in the years past.

#2 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thats a good stat, if the Canucks pick it up in the power play, that will be a bonus.

Posted Image

#3 Honeydew

Honeydew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Remember all those years we complained about no secondary scoring? Now look I love the extra scoring the 2nd - 4th line brings to the game.
Posted Image

#4 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Very interesting.
Thanks for posting :)
Posted Image

#5 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

nice find, thanks for the post. Once the PP starts going we should see a goal increase. cant wait for Kess
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#6 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for posting

the test is this next 6-7 games as these are all tougher games - remember who we just played the last 4 games against.

#7 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Encouraging stat. Now to get our PK up to snuff.

#8 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

The excellent 5 on 5 F/A ratio i believe is a combination of our secondary scoring, solid defense and world class goaltending. We have one of the deepest defenses and THE BEST goalie tandem in the league. The special teams will sort themselves out after we get Kes and Booth back, having Kes on the PP and PK is a big difference maker. I can't wait for next week, looking forward to see how they perform against some of the best in the west.

#9 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Had a coach that use to say
penalty kill and 5-5 win you games.
power play makes you win them by more.

I would also like to thank you for a great thread.

I believe this is what CDC was intended to be.

This thread has no crying , no bias, no homerizm, no ultra pessimism, nobody asking about what name they should get on their jersey, nobody suggesting we change the goal song and even more oddly no Luongo!

would give you a +5 if I could.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#10 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Had a coach that use to say
penalty kill and 5-5 win you games.
power play makes you win them by more.

I would also like to thank you for a great thread.

I believe this is what CDC was intended to be.

This thread has no crying , no bias, no homerizm, no ultra pessimism, nobody asking about what name they should get on their jersey, nobody suggesting we change the goal song and even more oddly no Luongo!

would give you a +5 if I could.

I agree, the pp should never be relied on for a team's base offense

#11 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Our 2nd line must be the best line just now and has got to be one of the best in the league.
Kevin.jpg

#12 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Why does everyone think that KES and booth are going to come back immediately to 2nd line minutes? It'll take a few games.....

#13 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,201 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

I'd rather have a dominant 5-on-5 team than good PP and PK all season long. We shouldn't have to rely on special teams to win us games, it should be a luxury. Special teams are rarely consistent, so hopefully we can get it sparked up to complement our great even-strength play during the playoffs.

We know it can perform when it wants to, so I don't mind if it lays dormant all season until the playoffs. Until then, let's continue to beat teams the right way - with 5-on-5 play.
Posted Image

#14 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

When the twins get their timing back on the PP which will happen soon, this team will look even more dangerous. With Kes & Booth coming back soon, our 2-headed goalie monster keeping watch on the back end, this team is looking scary good!!

#15 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Great stat, great thread, VERY interesting!

Things are looking very promising this year with the improvement of our defensive play from top to bottom and the chemistry that is building throughout that is starting to give us the secondary scoring that we so desperately need. Once we get Kes and Booth back this team is going to look unreal!

P.S
Props to Coach V

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#16 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Usually I am reluctant to open a "Interesting Stat" thread, but it is interesting, TSN was all over it last night as well.

I hope we can keep it up, 5 on 5 strength is what we need, and a good PK. If we hit a bad patch of reffing in the playoffs, PP won't matter, as we saw last night in to paraphrase Brian Burke "Sedin is(n't) Swedish for punch me and headlock me in a scrum"

#17 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thank Luongo and Schneider for this stat.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

The Canucks this year have not relied on their "potent" powerplay as they have in years past, something that's extremely encouraging this year is their 5 on 5 play. The Canucks are currently the NHL's best 5 on 5 team and are currently sitting number 1 in 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio WITHOUT 2/3 of our second line.

Vancouver 2.10
Anaheim 1.71
Chicago 1.50

Even in the Canucks' best regular season in 2010-11 they were the second best 5 on 5 team in the NHL guess who was number 1? They were the eventual Stanley Cup champs that year.

This is a good sign because during the playoffs when the refs put their whistles away and there are less penalties being called we won't be shut down like in the years past.

This is exactly what gives me real hope about this team, despite some of my minor frustrations with the PP and the Sedins. Ask any knowledgable hockey person - I heard Ferraro talking about this on the radio the other day - and they'll tell you that the 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio is probably the top indicator of how good a team is.

I think Ferraro was talking about this in the context of the Edmonton Oilers, how they don't project to be a very good team again this year because their 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio is not very good and they're living off their powerplay and good goaltending by Dubnyk.

#19 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

So let's work on having a good power play too, so we can dominate!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.