The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why We Should Keep Both Goalies

DownUndaCanuck

Right now, the Vancouver Canucks are 3rd best in team defence, at less than 2 goals against per game, and it's mostly thanks to great goaltending. We've never seen goalies play this well before, ignoring the first game of the season both goalies are well below 2 GAA. Schneider and Luongo are clearly playing their best hockey right now and it can mostly be attributed to having the other guy there as healthy competition. Take one away and the pressure builds on the other, as well as that competition, leading to much worse play in net.

But that's not all. In this shortened season, we've already seen injuries pile up. Players returning to an intense schedule have not been braced for the intensity of NHL games and couldn't prepare for it as well as they could have with a training camp. This is particularly hitting goalies the hardest, with way more goalie injuries than I've ever seen before. Here's some of the goalie injuries so far:

Kippersoff - knee injury, out another 2 weeks (about 3 all up)

Halak - groin injury, missed quite a few games and Elliot has been getting demolished by himself

Reimer - knee ligament injury, out a minimum of 1 week, could be as long as Kipper's

Mike Smith - lower body injury

You rarely see this many goalie injuries during a normal regular season, but without proper training camps and preparation, goalies are getting hit the hardest. They all seem to be from stretching too far or awkardly as well, not freak injuries.

What's worse is that both Luongo and Schneider have these sorts of injury histories. Luongo has had his groin injury flare up before, which kept him out for prolonged periods, and even Schneider aggravated his groin during the Chicago Game 6 a couple of playoffs ago because he was thrown into the net cold.

Moral of the story - don't trade either of our goalies right now. If ever there was a season to be cautious about goalie injuries it's this season, and right now we not only need both goalies for healthy competition but as a backup plan in case one goes down. This team is proving it doesn't need more depth at forward with the best 5-on-5 ratio GF/GA without 2 top-6 forwards as it is, there's no urgency to acquire more forwards at all. MG better cancel his trade talks for now and sit on any deal because if he moves a goalie it'll hurt this team in more ways than 1.

Two goalies eating up almost 10mil in cap space that's why.

It's preventing the team from that one extra power forward that could propel them to a cup. Wasting the Sedins while their in the prime when the team is missing that one other forward piece that will preform in the playoffs. A big hard hitting left winger that will pot in 15-20

Unless it helps us? I do agree that we are ok with the two goalies in the regular season but I want the returns of a Lou trade on the ice in the playoffs and I would like to see as much time as possible for the lines to gel. If our only goal is winning the PT agin then I agree that two top end goalies will help us but is that our only goal? It's time the club thought ahead and moved ahead.

Two goalies eating up almost 10mil in cap space that's why.

It's preventing the team from that one extra power forward that could propel them to a cup. Wasting the Sedins while their in the prime when the team is missing that one other forward piece that will preform in the playoffs. A big hard hitting left winger that will pot in 15-20

The best reason to keep them both is that, in the offseason, some team that was one or two wins from making the playoffs is going to get desperate and pay a king's ransom for one of the Canucks' goaltenders. There just isn't enough being offered right now to justify trading one of the goaltenders that is making this team one of the hardest to score against in the league, and money won't be an issue until next season, so there's absolutely no harm in waiting.

I think both goalies feel pushed (in a good way) when they know there is another #1 waiting to play if they falter. I think that's why we're seeing great play out of both guys. But then, it's early in the season and I can't imagine a guy like Anderson is going to keep his stats so high as the season wears on either.

It is also nice to know that if one gets injured, we have a #1 waiting.

But make no mistake about it... if Gillis gets a deal that makes sense, he'll pull the trigger. Luongo has proven to be more difficult to move than expected and if we wait until the offseason while it might provide more opportunities for a trade, it will also force Gillis to trade Luongo regardless of the return.... he loses what little bargaining power he has available at this point in the season.

Additionally, having half the goaltending salary sitting on the bench every night means there is 4-5 million we COULD have playing on the ice instead. To me, our current scenario doesn't make a ton of sense.

Really at this point there is no reason to trade either... Unless a good deal becomes available. Hmm, what do you know? MG had it right in the first place. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, in the end I don't think it's fair to either goaltender to try and keep both for selfish reasons. (Like we're winning) They are both starters and deserve to be, not 50-50 on a good team. If we keep both until the end of the season my money is on Lu staying over Schneids, he certianly is making a good case for why he's a great catch for any team. My guess is the trade offers pick up in the next two weeks. ;)

What about the goalies themselves? I know all you people would love to keep both in your fairy tale world, but the reality is it's not your career. Both these guys deserve to be starters and are just being patient and professional for now. They're not going to spend the rest of their careers sharing one net. It's not remotely fair to either one of them.

Keep them both for this season? Sure, but I'm willing to bet that won't happen without putting some kind of a strain on either goalie's patience. If Gillis drags this out past next offseason, one of them for sure is going to request to be moved immediately. There's only so long both of them are going to be willing to work part time.

The Capitals have got to be at least considering goalie options right now. They won 6-5 in OT last night in a bit of a back and forth affair, but at the end of the day Holtby still allowed 5 goals on 32 shots. He currently has a 3-4-0 record on the season and a 4.03 GAA and .874 Save%. Terrible. Neuvirth currently sports a 1-4-1 record, a 3.05 GAA and a .889 Save%. Not much better.

The Panthers also aren't getting great performances from either of their goaltenders, but at least they can afford to ride it out because they have a young stud in Markstrom waiting in the system.

With the Maple Leafs doing pretty well and Reimer having a great season, I don't think they're eager to do a goalie deal with the Canucks. Reimer is injured right now, but apparently it's only a minor issue and he could be back as soon as next week.

The Flyers? Paul Holmgren was quoted as saying Ilya Bryzgalov has been their best player so far this season. No contest. I didn't think they were in the market for one of our goalies to begin with, what with having just signed Bryz to a monster contract and all, but now I know they definitely aren't interested.

The Washington Capitals are the front runners right now. Easily. They're getting bad goaltending from both their goalies and they don't have the luxury of waiting for a goalie of the future because Holtby IS their goalie of the future. If both he and Neuvirth look like they're not going to cut it, they'd be wise to look at their options outside of the organization.

"Schneider and Luongo are clearly playing their best hockey right now and it can mostly be attributed to having the other guy there as healthy competition. Take one away and the pressure builds on the other, as well as that competition, leading to much worse play in net."

A very excellent point you make. It is good for those guys to be there, supporting each other as well as driving the other to do better and proving that they each deserve to start.

If we do end up keeping both for them for this season, one of them will most likely be traded during the offseason. Like many people have already said, it isn't fair for both of these very talented goalies to have to share the net. Also they do eat up quite a bit of cap space. I think we should enjoy this awesome tandem while we can folks! :)

The Capitals have got to be at least considering goalie options right now. They won 6-5 in OT last night in a bit of a back and forth affair, but at the end of the day Holtby still allowed 5 goals on 32 shots. He currently has a 3-4-0 record on the season and a 4.03 GAA and .874 Save%. Terrible. Neuvirth currently sports a 1-4-1 record, a 3.05 GAA and a .889 Save%. Not much better.

The Panthers also aren't getting great performances from either of their goaltenders, but at least they can afford to ride it out because they have a young stud in Markstrom waiting in the system.

With the Maple Leafs doing pretty well and Reimer having a great season, I don't think they're eager to do a goalie deal with the Canucks. Reimer is injured right now, but apparently it's only a minor issue and he could be back as soon as next week.

The Flyers? Paul Holmgren was quoted as saying Ilya Bryzgalov has been their best player so far this season. No contest. I didn't think they were in the market for one of our goalies to begin with, what with having just signed Bryz to a monster contract and all, but now I know they definitely aren't interested.

The Washington Capitals are the front runners right now. Easily. They're getting bad goaltending from both their goalies and they don't have the luxury of waiting for a goalie of the future because Holtby IS their goalie of the future. If both he and Neuvirth look like they're not going to cut it, they'd be wise to look at their options outside of the organization.

What about the goalies themselves? I know all you people would love to keep both in your fairy tale world, but the reality is it's not your career. Both these guys deserve to be starters and are just being patient and professional for now. They're not going to spend the rest of their careers sharing one net. It's not remotely fair to either one of them.

Keep them both for this season? Sure, but I'm willing to bet that won't happen without putting some kind of a strain on either goalie's patience. If Gillis drags this out past next offseason, one of them for sure is going to request to be moved immediately. There's only so long both of them are going to be willing to work part time.

there is really no market for the either goalie right now especially for what gillis wants... no gm in their right mind is going to plug a hole a create such big new one and thats what gillis is requesting ... gillis under vauled players that were offered in the off season and those trades are now gone and never comming back.... ( kadri ,bozak,3rd round pick) and (bozak, frattin ,2nd round pic) both ttrade offers had been confirmed by SN HC, either trade looks like it couldve put us over the hump to win the cup this year. another thing is how blind are most of these fans? wild went almost 10 minutes in the second period without a shot canucks have had 1 game out of the last 5 where they have had any real steady offensive pressure against them and that was vs the oilers and that has to do with the team infront of the goalies not the goalies how do u think cory and luongo would look in edomonton right now? about as good as as doobie.

I'm not going to read all that, but if a deal comes along like Gillis has been waiting for, he'll trade Luongo (or Schneider if someone comes back with an amazing offer for him). Otherwise, he's said he'll look at keeping both for this season and try to move one in the offseason. It's not rocket science, and Gillis isn't going to dump one of our goalies in a panic to worry about next year's cap when this year still isn't over.

And I know I saw this a lot, but there are so many Luongo threads around: could this idea not have just gone along with the "Is Roberto Luongo In His Prime Now?" thread the OP had already started? We don't really need a new thread for each thought everyone has about our goalies when we already have lots of discussion in other threads.

Archived