The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Speed Line

Bananas

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen, possibly the fastest line in the NHL, has put up an impressive show since it was put together. I've been waiting for a good, speedy line like this since we had Grabner. I was sad to see him go, for sure, but it is what it is.

Anywho, not only do I like the way the speed meshes with this line, but also the overall skill sets. All three of these players play a solid 200 ft. game. Strong in the defensive zone, a real nightmare in the neutral zone, and hard on the forecheck. They make the game substantially easier on the defensemen, and ultimately the goaltender, whoever it may be.

It's good to see their individual perks show signs of chemistry, and fill needs on the team.

Raymond - He's not the same this year. He's better! He's finally learned a few things that we, as we all know, thought he needed to work on. If the shot is at a bad angle, pass it instead. And boy has he made some nice passes recently! It's refreshing to see him make use of his skills, which also include using his speed to get open for good scoring chances, and getting around defenders and into the dirtier areas. He's not playing as timid anymore, and it's great to see.

Hansen - Same ol' same ol', which is a good thing. He gives 110% every game, and it shows; and as usual, he is rewarded with production. His forechecking is the undisputed best on this team, and even though his passes don't always look pretty, they are effective. He generates chances out of simple forechecks in addition to those he creates from his speed. The best part of all is that he is showing some good hands out there, with some solid finishes.

Schroeder - Very reassuring to see how this guy has been performing. I know a lot of people were worried about his size, as well as his numbers in the AHL. In spite of that, he is showing why his rankings were where they were upon draft, and why he came to us in the first round. Surprisingly effective along the boards, he even hangs out in front of the net! Very good vision and passing, Schroeder is making plays where we would typically see the puck randomly thrown at the boards instead. I really like how he brings an individual dynamic to this team.

All in all, I'm really glad to see this line click, because all of these players have been looking for something like this. Raymond was having all sorts of problems the last couple of years, and even Hansen was having trouble finding chemistry. Rather, his successes were coming as a result of his sustained effort.

I'm also really happy to see that Schroeder has managed to come into the NHL so smoothly and find a niche. He's presented himself as a necessity to this team; he puts Gillis and AV in a position where they will think twice about who goes down when Booth and Kesler return. I, for one, hope it's not Schroeder who goes, but rather Ebbett and maybe one of the extra D-men.

Very happy to see this line click!

Dont panic jannick. The name suits him. Love it when he is on the ice. Rarely makes a mistake. I don't know of he plans this but on the penalty kill if he has the puck as he often does of late.. He skates east west and kills even more time. Often times crossing the defenders up. Smart or coincidental. Either way. Kills if a few more seconds every time.. Fun line to watch, I agree

I believe that will be contingent on Raymond, to be honest. Hansen is known to play hard in the play-offs, and Schroeder just seems like that kind of play-off go to guy. Don't know why. o.O Raymond has been an annual playoff flop, however, but I certainly hope that this chemistry can alleviate that label.

We've seen players like Schroeder excel in the playoffs in the past, so I have no doubt in my mind that Schroeder has the tools to mimic this success.

You mentioned Raymond's passing and I agree but also suggest that Schroeder's passing ability is very good. Combined with their speed and passing this line is a threat all the time. All this said the future of this group is very dependant on the 2nd line and how well it plays going forward. My thought being that if the 3rd stays together then the 2nd has to have a serious physical element to it. I like the idea of Kassian as 2 RW.

everyone seems to assume that kes and booth are coming back and stepping right into the second line. have we not learned anything from the lou and cory thing. we have two good players coming off injury, we are playing well, let them take a lesser role with less pressure.

Hansen - Same ol' same ol', which is a good thing. He gives 110% every game, and it shows; and as usual, he is rewarded with production. His forechecking is the undisputed best on this team, and even though his passes don't always look pretty, they are effective. He generates chances out of simple forechecks in addition to those he creates from his speed. The best part of all is that he is showing some good hands out there, with some solid finishes.

Archived