The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Speed Line

Bananas

everyone seems to assume that kes and booth are coming back and stepping right into the second line. have we not learned anything from the lou and cory thing. we have two good players coming off injury, we are playing well, let them take a lesser role with less pressure.

I've been inspired by this speedy line as well. I'm not sure how they'd do in the playoffs, but something tells me their speed would draw a lot of penalties. With tighter checking, I can see opposing players resorting to grabbing and hooking since they won't be able to legitimately keep up with and pin down these guys. Schroeder and Hansen have some grit too and aren't afraid of driving the net and playing in traffic. I think they'd be a much bigger asset than liability playing together, even in the playoffs. Now, if Schroeder could just learn to win faceoffs...

I think they'll be OK in the playoffs if they continue this level of play - remember, right now they are playing as a second line - in the playoffs, they'll be the third line and will face less skilled defenders. If everyone heals and plays well, I think our forwards should be like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian (Kassian can be the big body to protect the Sedins and crash the net)

Booth-Kesler-Burrows (This can be our checking line - although Booth isn't fantastic defensively, Kesler and Burrows can more than make up for him. It also takes a bit of the pressure off of Kesler to score)

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen (Their speed will give them a big edge, and all three are solid defensively. As long as they can score a few goals and not allow any, they'll be effective)

Manny-Lappy-Higgins (We need Manny to be the strong LH centreman who's solid in his own zone. Lappy could be a solid 3rd line centre the way he's been playing, so he'll dominate the 4th lines of other teams. Higgins is a tough, borderline top-6 player who can score and should dominate other fourth lines)

I've been inspired by this speedy line as well. I'm not sure how they'd do in the playoffs, but something tells me their speed would draw a lot of penalties. With tighter checking, I can see opposing players resorting to grabbing and hooking since they won't be able to legitimately keep up with and pin down these guys. Schroeder and Hansen have some grit too and aren't afraid of driving the net and playing in traffic. I think they'd be a much bigger asset than liability playing together, even in the playoffs. Now, if Schroeder could just learn to win faceoffs...

Really think this is highlighting a need for a good third line center that has size and can score. Not that we are weak, but playoff wise we will be too small on the third line with that lineup.

Playoffs.

Daniel/Henrik/Kassian (he's a must here when things get tight and the twins need room and a policeman)

Booth/Kesler/Burrows

Raymond/Schroeder/New Center with size - moved to wing

(Volpattie/Weise) + (Lappiere/Manny) + Hansen

I wouldn't be that concerned with their size. That line is roughly the same size as big tough Boston's second line:

Marchand (5'9, 180lbs) - Bergeron ( 6'2, 194lbs) - Seguin (6'1, 182lbs)

vs

Raymond (6'0, 185lbs) - Schroeder ( 5'9 175lbs) - Hansen (6'1 195lbs)

Archived