The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For once, Gallagher on the mark...

disisdayear

To my surprise, I found myself agreeing with Gallagher. The officiating was brutal last night...good on Gallagher to call out the refs.

Canucks-Wild a great feat of game engineering by the referees

By Tony Gallagher, The Province February 12, 2013

There were some good performances from players on each team at the Vancouver Canucks hockey game Tuesday night, but if you wanted to rate jobs well done, you would have to hand the prize to referees Chris Rooney and Ghislain Hebert who worked the game on behalf of the NHL.

Consider their achievement. In a game that should have been won by the home team going away, they managed to keep the visitors in the affair all night long by virtue of a quick call here and a blind eye there.

And in a league where the commissioner values parity — both within games and especially in the standings — above all, it’s not hard to predict a rapid rise in the fortunes of both these characters as their careers unfold.

First you need to ignore Minny forward Mike Rupp running around trying to hit the Sedin twins after the whistle had blown in the first period as he seemed to try to incite some sort of response from Vancouver.

That helps, but still, Vancouver forges a 2-0 lead on goals by Kevin Bieksa and Jannik Hansen, so more drastic measures are called for lest the home team get another one and this one turn one-sided.

That cannot happen, so the blind eye combined with harsh judgment is necessary.

That’s when Justin Falk runs a guy who has just come off a high profile concussion — Daniel Sedin — into the glass after the whistle on the side boards 11 minutes into the second period.

Rooney and Hebert judiciously ignore what could have been a penalty, but then make sure to call Max Lapierre when he takes exception to the play in which one of the stars of the Canucks is being run over for no good reason.

“I felt I had to go in because I thought one of our guys got hit late,” said Lapierre.

“I thought we both could have gone, but you know how it goes, you never know in hockey.”

The penalty to Lapierre gives the ready-to-fold Wild a power play which they finally convert when Jason Garrison makes a boneheaded attempt at reversing the puck on his backhand in his own zone.

The score has been engineered into just a 2-1 game after two periods. But in order to achieve it, a quick whistle by Rooney in the last minute to disallow a Vancouver goal on a loose puck in plain sight in the Minnesota crease is necessary, the referee evidently not able to see the puck that most everyone else in the rink can.

It’s back to work early in the third period for the zebras, whose work is never done, to again ignore Rupp driving his knee into Bieksa’s legs behind the Vancouver goal when he hits the Canucks defenceman early in the session.

“I was actually caught in a rut just before that and as he was coming at me I thought, I hope he doesn’t hit me,” said Bieksa.

“I’ll get some ice on it and it should be all right.”

It’s somehow still 2-1 and it looks to most of those who have long since fallen asleep trying to watch this crap that the two teams are reasonably evenly matched as they flail away in the third period.

Still in it despite scarcely having control of the puck, the Wild are not surprisingly enthused at their chances and they gain life and play pretty well in the third period, helped along by a hooking call on Alex Burrows in the offensive zone, which nicely quells Vancouver momentum.

And before it’s all over, there are a couple of good Minnesota scoring chances and it can be argued it was an absolute nail biter going right down to the wire if you are really into clichés.

It was the perfect result for the officials, absolutely perfect.

There was no great miscarriage of justice, nobody screaming that this was a “horrible call” or that particular play was a “travesty.” No, nothing that would draw attention.

The best team still won the game and the team that deserved nothing got nothing.

And here we’re not saying that Vancouver is head and shoulders over the Wild at all times or that they are an infinitely better team. But on this night, the visitors had played the previous evening in Calgary and the home team has things going well at the moment and were clearly the better squad.

To make it look close, you had to somehow get to the point where the team that had virtually no energy or puck possession time got five power play opportunities compared to just two for the team that was full of life all night but that happens, doesn’t it?

Another night in the NHL.

© Copyright © The Province

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+Canucks+Wild+great+feat+game+engineering+referees/7956147/story.html#ixzz2KoEK5UjG

To try and keep the game close by using PPs is rigging the game. On this night the zebras were unable to affect the final outcome but on many many nights they are.

Boston vs Tampa Eastern Conference game 7 comes to mind and same with the SC Finals in 2011 when the rules changed and all of a sudden the game was being called as it was in the clutch and grab era.

To try and keep the game close by using PPs is rigging the game. On this night the zebras were unable to affect the final outcome but on many many nights they are.

Boston vs Tampa Eastern Conference game 7 comes to mind and same with the SC Finals in 2011 when the rules changed and all of a sudden the game was being called as it was in the clutch and grab era.

Whine whine whine whine whine... That is all I ever hear from this guy... Can't complain about the Canucks so lets start on the officiating. There always has to be some controversy with this guy. If he has ever written a decent article I have yet to see it, and if one exists you know 1000 decrepid old washed up opinion columnists typing on a 1000 keyboards and something worthwhile might be written.

Sedins are always going to be treated like this until the canucks and management wake the frack up. What if Daniel got another concussion from that last night?

All it takes is Kassian or Volpatti or someone to do what Carkner did and no one will think about touching them again. Who cares if we get a suspension, it will be worth it in the long run.

How many years have the Sedins been getting abused... and still no body does anything about it.

One thing I've hated about the Canucks over the last few years.

what was ridiculous about that hit on sedin after the whistle was tough guy kassian was the closest and he stood their with a deer in the head lights look and did nothing and laps had to step in. maybe kassian hasnt heard the million reports since hes come to vancouver about how hes the guy that needs to keep people honest about the sedins and protect them out there. this was the first time he had a chance to send a message and he did nothing.

I laughed; OF COURSE everybody here will agree with him (a rare occurrance to be sure), he's whining about the refs, a favorite pastime of Canuck fans. It is actually amazing that this is the first time that any concentrated whining about the officiating has occurred on CDC so far this season. I can well imagine the outrage if Hansen's cross check to an official during an opening face off donnybrook would have been done by a Bruin or a Hawk or if Volpatti's early season boarding would have been against one of OUR players, or if it was Sedin being boarded the other night instead of the other way around ("playing tough" seems to translate to boarding guys from behind in Canuck land). Fact is the refs have been in love with the Canucks so far this season and if you want proof then notice the total absence of ref related threads on CDC so far this year. Can't wait to hear the whining come playoff time.

Whine whine whine whine whine... That is all I ever hear from this guy... Can't complain about the Canucks so lets start on the officiating. There always has to be some controversy with this guy. If he has ever written a decent article I have yet to see it, and if one exists you know 1000 decrepid old washed up opinion columnists typing on a 1000 keyboards and something worthwhile might be written.

If the opposition can target the Sedin's without any response from the refs..it's going to be an uphill battle for the Canucks.It's a decent game plan,and obviously worth a shot, providing the refs turn a blind eye.....It's the best way to make the Canucks squad lose focus.

what was ridiculous about that hit on sedin after the whistle was tough guy kassian was the closest and he stood their with a deer in the head lights look and did nothing and laps had to step in. maybe kassian hasnt heard the million reports since hes come to vancouver about how hes the guy that needs to keep people honest about the sedins and protect them out there. this was the first time he had a chance to send a message and he did nothing.

I dont think that there is a conspiracy about parity. But I do believe there is a lack of respect toward all Canuck players, especially the Sedins. Usually players who get the amount of points that they do get waaaaaaaaayy more respect from the refs. Its one of the many reasons that I laugh when others refer to them as the Sisters. They have to deal with other teams taking and getting away with liberties almost every shift. They have to play against the best defence pairings every game every shift. And they play in the corners, along the boards against guys that have height, weight, and speed advanteges over them. And all they do is own the puck and make them all look average or less than average. Maybe those fools who call them sisters should ask if the biggest and toughest defensman in the league feel like they are being beaten by two girls.

I dont think that there is a conspiracy about parity. But I do believe there is a lack of respect toward all Canuck players, especially the Sedins. Usually players who get the amount of points that they do get waaaaaaaaayy more respect from the refs. Its one of the many reasons that I laugh when others refer to them as the Sisters. They have to deal with other teams taking and getting away with liberties almost every shift. They have to play against the best defence pairings every game every shift. And they play in the corners, along the boards against guys that have height, weight, and speed advanteges over them. And all they do is own the puck and make them all look average or less than average. Maybe those fools who call them sisters should ask if the biggest and toughest defensman in the league feel like they are being beaten by two girls.

The officiating was so terrible, even Gallagher noticed it. Someone on the Canucks must have said something to the refs, because they were on our case all day. That Lapierre call was so incredibly egregious, then there were three or four times Minny threw a hit after the whistle, or on a guy without the puck, and then Rupp hanging a knee on Bieksa, that game could have gotten out of hand if the Canucks hadn't been so reserved and accommodating. I feel like we did the refs a big favour not making a big deal out of anything and playing it off real chill-like, but they sure didn't do us any favours in return.

Archived