#1 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

POPULAR

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the law on our way home from the various social events over the years.

Last night I went to a hockey game with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a margarita. Not a good idea.

Knowing full well that I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home.

Sure enough, as luck would have it, I came to a police road block about a mile from my house but because it was a taxi, they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise, because I’ve never driven a taxi before and am not sure where I even got it.

seriously though, drinking and driving is bad. Don't do it.

Edited by avelanch, 13 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#2 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I take it that the last line of your post is supposed to be a joke.

As far as drinking and driving goes.... There are plenty of ppl who still do it and its a shame.

Just think how it would feel if you hurt someone's family, wife, mother, father or child while you were drinking and driving. What if you killed someone's child. How would you be able to live with your self.

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

for the record i have never drunk and drove, ever.

#4 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

for the record i have never drunk and drove, ever.

Never?

I am strongly against it but I can't say that I have NEVER done it. I haven't done it for at least 10 years but can't say with 100% certainty that I NEVER did during my early adulthood or teenage years.

A big reason for me not to drink and drive during my teenage years was my family telling me to leave my car where ever it was if I had a drink. Most of my friends would get in trouble if they left their car somewhere so they felt they had to drive the car home. I was lucky that my family was smart enough to know better.

I don't drink now so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Edited by WHL rocks, 13 February 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#5 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Never?

I am strongly against it but I can't say that I have NEVER done it. I haven't done it for at least 10 years but can't say with 100% certainty that I NEVER did during my early adulthood or teenage years.

A big reason for me not to drink and drive during my teenage years was my family telling me to leave my car where ever it was if I had a drink. Most of my friends would get in trouble if they left their car somewhere so they felt they had to drive the car home. I was lucky that my family was smart enough to know better.

I don't drink now as I've been training for the past couple of months so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

never. i've always either rode with someone, was the DD, or took transit. i have never had more than a single drink when our for a meal if I was driving, and all meals have lasted a long time, with much food and water. if I even felt it a tiny bit I'd take transit and pick up my car in the morning. back where i grew up, there were way too many drunk driving deaths and hit and runs done to people I knew than to ever play around with "am I good enough to drive or not". if it's even a question I have to ask myself, the answer is "no", by default.

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

never. i've always either rode with someone, was the DD, or took transit. i have never had more than a single drink when our for a meal if I was driving, and all meals have lasted a long time, with much food and water. if I even felt it a tiny bit I'd take transit and pick up my car in the morning. back where i grew up, there were way too many drunk driving deaths and hit and runs done to people I knew than to ever play around with "am I good enough to drive or not". if it's even a question I have to ask myself, the answer is "no", by default.

So you do drink and drive.

The question wasn't whether you were over the limit or not, because there is no way for you to know unless you took a breathalyzer.

For me I don't drive after having even a sip of alcohol.

I just choose not to risk hurting someone on the way home. Being slightly over the legal limit or slightly under it won't make a difference to me as I would have a hard time living with my self if god forbid I hit a mini van on the way home. Even after 1 drink your judgement is impaired. An accident can happen any time but even 1 drink raises the risk IMO.

I choose not to drink and drive because my conscious won't allow it, not because of a law that tells me I'm allowed to have a certain amount of alcohol, be buzzed and still drive or just a couple of sips more and not be able to drive.

1 sip of alcohol = No driving for me.

Edited by WHL rocks, 13 February 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#7 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

It used to be so common place .. I am glad that there are severe penalties for D&D .. first offense should be a 3 year suspension .. a second one should be life time ban ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

It used to be so common place .. I am glad that there are severe penalties for D&D .. first offense should be a 3 year suspension .. a second one should be life time ban ..

I like what they do right now. It costs approx 5 Grand if you get caught and you have to install a ignition interlock system. I know several ppl who have had to install them. I don't feel sorry for them.

I think it's a good policy because if you out right ban ppl from driving they'll do it anyways. In our society its difficult to get around without a DL. Just hit them where it hurts (wallet) and it will make a difference.

You will never have 100% compliance no matter what you do.

#9 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Drinking and driving = a noob move

It's fine if you want to be an idiot and hurt yourself, but don't take innocent people down with you.

Posted Image

#10 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,060 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've never drank, so I don't need to worry about DWIs

#11 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

So you do drink and drive.

The question wasn't whether you were over the limit or not, because there is no way for you to know unless you took a breathalyzer[size=4].

For me I don't drive after having even a sip of alcohol.

I just choose not to risk hurting someone on the way home. Being slightly over the legal limit or slightly under it won't make a difference to me as I would have a hard time living with my self if god forbid I hit a mini van on the way home. Even after 1 drink your judgement is impaired. An accident can happen any time but even 1 drink raises the risk IMO.

I choose not to drink and drive because my conscious won't allow it, not because of a law that tells me I'm allowed to have a certain amount of alcohol, be buzzed and still drive or just a couple of sips more and not be able to drive.

1 sip of alcohol = No driving for me.

over how long of a period? because that just mean's you'll never drive again. you metabolise one serving of alcohol per hour, which is why i'll do 1 drink over a 2 hour meal with friends and be confident the alcohol is completely out of my system. if it's even close, i don't drive, or i wait.

#12 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Never?

I am strongly against it but I can't say that I have NEVER done it.

I can.

When I drink there is nothing you can say to me to get me to drive.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#13 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I can.

When I drink there is nothing you can say to me to get me to drive.

Please don't edit my post.

Context, 20 years ago or today.

Anyone who is 35+ years of age and tells me with absolute certainty what you and Avelanch are saying makes me not believe them. Not sure how old you guys are.

Our society did not hold the same views towards drinking and driving in the 80's or the 90's as it does today.

Having a couple of beers and driving was common when I was in high school. Good thing I didn't have a car other wise I would have pbbly done it too.

#14 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Anyone who is 35+ years of age and tells me with absolute certainty what you and Avelanch are saying makes me not believe them. Not sure how old you guys are.

Our society did not hold the same views towards drinking and driving in the 80's or the 90's as it does today.

Having a couple of beers and driving was common when I was in high school. Good thing I didn't have a car other wise I would have pbbly done it too.

I'm 24 and I'm not and never was your average retarded teenager, I don't do incredibly stupid things because stupid things often have very serious repercussions, like drinking and driving. I can (and I know I'm in a minority here) say with 100% certainty that I have never driven while drunk. I don't really care if you believe me or not.

And on a side note, I edited your post down because that was the only relevant part that I was responding to, you said you said you can't say for certain that have never driven while drunk, the rest of your post was of no importance to what I was saying and I edited it down to avoid cluttering up the board with the same nonsense over and over. I do that with a lot of posts, it servers the same effect as bolding one part of a long post only removing all the unbolded parts, if people want to read the whole post they can click the little arrow and it will take them the the whole, unabridged, original post.

Now if I edited it to make you say something you didn't, then you'd have a valid argument.

#15 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'm 24 and I'm not and never was your average retarded teenager, I don't do incredibly stupid things because stupid things often have very serious repercussions, like drinking and driving. I can (and I know I'm in a minority here) say with 100% certainty that I have never driven while drunk. I don't really care if you believe me or not.

And on a side note, I edited your post down because that was the only relevant part that I was responding to, you said you said you can't say for certain that have never driven while drunk, the rest of your post was of no importance to what I was saying and I edited it down to avoid cluttering up the board with the same nonsense over and over. I do that with a lot of posts, it servers the same effect as bolding one part of a long post only removing all the unbolded parts, if people want to read the whole post they can click the little arrow and it will take them the the whole, unabridged, original post.

Now if I edited it to make you say something you didn't, then you'd have a valid argument.

You ever get told you should listen just as much as you speak? In this case read as much as you write.

You are 24 years old. That's all you need to say. You highlighted my point but failed to internalize it.

It's no surprise that a 24 year old has never had a few beers and drove. Its believable.

But if a 35+ year old said the same thing I would have a hard time believing them. As I said in my post our society's attitude towards drinking and driving was much different 10 or 20 years ago.

Ask your dad or mom if they've ever had a few drinks and drove. If they say no they are lying to you. Unless they don't drink and never have. Then ask them if they've ever smoked weed and drove.

#16 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I came close in my early 20s to a DUI, and another time before this worried friends because I misinterpreted them asking me to stay on a 4th of July celebration for them wanting me to go home, which was like a 45 min drive away. Nothing came from driving home from the celebration, but I was so stoned and drunk I don't remember any of the drive except stopping by McDonalds. The near-DUI on the other hand, scared me enough to change things.

Was at a bar partying with friends, I already know I have a decent alcohol tolerance, being a tall guy, but I didn't stop drinking at the right time (usually 2-3 hours in advance of leaving), and I was going to be the designated driver. Three friends, all female, were so wasted I had to smack one of them awake so she could help me put the other two, passed out, in the car to take them home. So I left, making sure to drive carefully expecting police to be around the bar, sure enough I made a California stop (i.e. rolling through a stop sign) on a right turn, a cop who was hidden down the street saw me, and pulled me over. He knew where I was coming from so asked if I had any drinks, performed a field sobriety test, looked like he wanted to arrest me, but then saw the passed out chicks in my car that I was taking home, and told me to take them home, sober up, and don't drive again after having some drinks. It was pretty obvious I was still drunk.

So not only did I get out of a DUI but out of a stop sign citation. That was the only lesson I needed to learn then, and had they not been in the car with me I'd surely have a DUI on my record, and been out of a job necessary to save up for the move back to Canada. Thankfully my record is still squeaky clean, in both countries. :lol: Since then, I won't drive after having so many drinks.

Edited by zaibatsu, 13 February 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#17 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

by the time you goodie-two-shoeers finish with your soberer than thou measuring stick, I'll have finished my beer and driven home.
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#18 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

by the time you goodie-two-shoeers finish with your soberer than thou measuring stick, I'll have finished my beer and driven home.

You say it like it's suppose to antagonise people who don't drink and drive...

U mad bro?

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 13 February 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#19 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

You say it like its suppose to antagonise people who dont drink and drive...

U mad bro?

naw, not mad. Its good ya'll don't drink and drive. Just don't need to wave it around saying your better than this other guy who doesn't drink and drive because of a couple irrelivant details.

and there's a limit for blood alcohol for a reason. One drink/beer is perfectly fine to drive with as long as your a safe driver in the first place. Hell of a lot safer than texting and driving.
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#20 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

*double checks that i'm in the right forum..*
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#21 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

naw, not mad. Its good ya'll don't drink and drive. Just don't need to wave it around saying your better than this other guy who doesn't drink and drive because of a couple irrelivant details.

and there's a limit for blood alcohol for a reason. One drink/beer is perfectly fine to drive with as long as your a safe driver in the first place. Hell of a lot safer than texting and driving.

I've had a beer or two before driving sure, who hasn't? I just have never driven drunk. And I never said I was better than anyone for it.

And yes WHL, there is a difference between a drink or two and being flat out drunk. A big difference.

#22 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

I don't drink and drive.. Sure, I'll drink at the place I'm at, but I stop and sober up before I actually start driving, which usually means I leave at around 2 or 3 in the morning...

Posted Image

#23 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

i'm 31, and I didn't drink until i was living on campus at SFU, which i never owned a car and only had a bus pass, and it was in 2000 when I had my first drink, only when i was of legal age. I never drank underage.

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

i'm 31, and I didn't drink until i was living on campus at SFU, which i never owned a car and only had a bus pass, and it was in 2000 when I had my first drink, only when i was of legal age. I never drank underage.

Ahh, That makes sense.

Don't know why but I always thought you grew up in Winnipeg.

Good on you Lanch. As much as we here the new generation blah blah blah, the fact is the newer generation is always more aware and mindful of social issues than the previous.

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

You better not hit someone on the way home and kill their kids because someone might pull a shot gun and blow your head off.

http://forum.canucks...ho-killed-kids/

#26 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Had a couple close calls myself. Glad to be here today.

Posted Image

#27 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I've got a friend who always parks his car at my house when we go out. He parks, and crashes on my couch for the night. But every single time, he decides he's going to go home when we return to my house. The first time, he lived approximately two blocks away and it was after a high school grad party so we had a sober, neutral third party (who does not drive) determine if he was good to go. I had passed out, and it was determined he was all right to drive home. I was furious the next morning. Because I knew what he had drank. Anyways. The next time we went out, I told him before we left that I wanted his keys. I had his keys in my pocket the whole night. When we got back to my place, I ended up falling asleep. While I was asleep, he took the keys out of my pocket and drove himself home. He was obliterated. He lived approx. 5 minutes away, which is more than enough time to do something he'd regret. He ended up backing into a fire hydrant, and although the damage was minimal the repair cost was high (something like $200) so I figured that'd deter him from doing it again.

Well, he did it again one night. I wasn't present, however. He came across a roadblock, and was of course charged with a DUI. This was actually at the beginning of December, just a few weeks after his 19th. Even though he's my friend, I'm glad he was pulled over and punished because he's an idiot for putting himself, and others, at risk on THREE separate occasions. I still regularly give him a really hard time about it, the knuckleheaded dummy.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 15 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

/=S=/

#28 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Drink and drive all the time #YOLO

But in all honesty, any more than two beers or any hard alcohol and I won't even think about driving, and even if I do only have a beer or two I will try to find other options. Just isn't worth it.

Edited by Jägermeister, 16 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#29 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was young. Drinking and driving was one of them. Being reckless, drunk and feeling invincible is something I probably should have died from, or at the very least gotten a DUI from. I feel very fortunate to still be here to look back on my stupidity with shame.

I don't press my luck anymore. I rarely drink these days, and when I do - I definitely won't touch a sip if I have to drive somewhere.

Not only do I value my life more, but my income and career depend on having a license. It's not worth it.

#30 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

To quote an old advertisement: If you drink and drive you are a bloody idiot.

I have never drank and then drive. I am 32 so 3 more years to prove you wrong ;). I will only drink if I have a sober ride home.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.