The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drinking and driving.

avelanch

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the law on our way home from the various social events over the years.

Last night I went to a hockey game with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a margarita. Not a good idea.

Knowing full well that I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home.

Sure enough, as luck would have it, I came to a police road block about a mile from my house but because it was a taxi, they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise, because I’ve never driven a taxi before and am not sure where I even got it.

seriously though, drinking and driving is bad. Don't do it.

I take it that the last line of your post is supposed to be a joke.

As far as drinking and driving goes.... There are plenty of ppl who still do it and its a shame.

Just think how it would feel if you hurt someone's family, wife, mother, father or child while you were drinking and driving. What if you killed someone's child. How would you be able to live with your self.

Never?

I am strongly against it but I can't say that I have NEVER done it. I haven't done it for at least 10 years but can't say with 100% certainty that I NEVER did during my early adulthood or teenage years.

A big reason for me not to drink and drive during my teenage years was my family telling me to leave my car where ever it was if I had a drink. Most of my friends would get in trouble if they left their car somewhere so they felt they had to drive the car home. I was lucky that my family was smart enough to know better.

I don't drink now as I've been training for the past couple of months so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

never. i've always either rode with someone, was the DD, or took transit. i have never had more than a single drink when our for a meal if I was driving, and all meals have lasted a long time, with much food and water. if I even felt it a tiny bit I'd take transit and pick up my car in the morning. back where i grew up, there were way too many drunk driving deaths and hit and runs done to people I knew than to ever play around with "am I good enough to drive or not". if it's even a question I have to ask myself, the answer is "no", by default.

So you do drink and drive.

The question wasn't whether you were over the limit or not, because there is no way for you to know unless you took a breathalyzer.

For me I don't drive after having even a sip of alcohol.

I just choose not to risk hurting someone on the way home. Being slightly over the legal limit or slightly under it won't make a difference to me as I would have a hard time living with my self if god forbid I hit a mini van on the way home. Even after 1 drink your judgement is impaired. An accident can happen any time but even 1 drink raises the risk IMO.

I choose not to drink and drive because my conscious won't allow it, not because of a law that tells me I'm allowed to have a certain amount of alcohol, be buzzed and still drive or just a couple of sips more and not be able to drive.

1 sip of alcohol = No driving for me.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Please don't edit my post.

Context, 20 years ago or today.

Anyone who is 35+ years of age and tells me with absolute certainty what you and Avelanch are saying makes me not believe them. Not sure how old you guys are.

Our society did not hold the same views towards drinking and driving in the 80's or the 90's as it does today.

Having a couple of beers and driving was common when I was in high school. Good thing I didn't have a car other wise I would have pbbly done it too.

I'm 24 and I'm not and never was your average retarded teenager, I don't do incredibly stupid things because stupid things often have very serious repercussions, like drinking and driving. I can (and I know I'm in a minority here) say with 100% certainty that I have never driven while drunk. I don't really care if you believe me or not.

And on a side note, I edited your post down because that was the only relevant part that I was responding to, you said you said you can't say for certain that have never driven while drunk, the rest of your post was of no importance to what I was saying and I edited it down to avoid cluttering up the board with the same nonsense over and over. I do that with a lot of posts, it servers the same effect as bolding one part of a long post only removing all the unbolded parts, if people want to read the whole post they can click the little arrow and it will take them the the whole, unabridged, original post.

Now if I edited it to make you say something you didn't, then you'd have a valid argument.

I came close in my early 20s to a DUI, and another time before this worried friends because I misinterpreted them asking me to stay on a 4th of July celebration for them wanting me to go home, which was like a 45 min drive away. Nothing came from driving home from the celebration, but I was so stoned and drunk I don't remember any of the drive except stopping by McDonalds. The near-DUI on the other hand, scared me enough to change things.

Was at a bar partying with friends, I already know I have a decent alcohol tolerance, being a tall guy, but I didn't stop drinking at the right time (usually 2-3 hours in advance of leaving), and I was going to be the designated driver. Three friends, all female, were so wasted I had to smack one of them awake so she could help me put the other two, passed out, in the car to take them home. So I left, making sure to drive carefully expecting police to be around the bar, sure enough I made a California stop (i.e. rolling through a stop sign) on a right turn, a cop who was hidden down the street saw me, and pulled me over. He knew where I was coming from so asked if I had any drinks, performed a field sobriety test, looked like he wanted to arrest me, but then saw the passed out chicks in my car that I was taking home, and told me to take them home, sober up, and don't drive again after having some drinks. It was pretty obvious I was still drunk.

So not only did I get out of a DUI but out of a stop sign citation. That was the only lesson I needed to learn then, and had they not been in the car with me I'd surely have a DUI on my record, and been out of a job necessary to save up for the move back to Canada. Thankfully my record is still squeaky clean, in both countries. :lol: Since then, I won't drive after having so many drinks.

Archived