The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PP & Garrison

RIP Ripper

Am I the only one a little shocked not to see Garrison on the first unit PP, or any PP for that matter!?

I get that the PP is struggling, but after all, he is our prized off season acquisition and a proven scorer.

I'm wondering if the problem is with special teams coaching or lack of talent on the top unit?

I have my theory, just interested in hearing thoughts of others.

Probably because replacing Ehrhoff Samuelsson Salo on the PP is not easy.

I guess Booth and Garrison, on paper are upgrades on Samuelsson and Salo. But as we've all seen with the first line, simply inserting a player who should work well with the Sedins isn't foolproof.

Not looking very good early but there are many factors to consider. Like Kesler, who not only provides a body in front of the net but an additional right handed shooter as well.

On the bright side it does give other players a chance on the PP. In 2010-11 only 6 players averaged more than 2 mins of PP time/game. So far this season, 10 players not including Kesler and Booth.

When we are healthy...

Kesler-sedin-sedin

Edler-garrison

Umbrella set up: edler on the left circle, garrison at the top and hank on the right circle with Danny and kes down low

Booth-burrows-Raymond/Higgins

Hamhuis-bieksa

We are paying him 4.6m for his shot and his pp goals, how do u expect to get ur money's worth if u don't put him in position to succeed???

He is missing the net because he his gripping his stick to tight and he needs something good to happen to relax

I'd like to see him play 5 on 5 on the right side just to see if he can do it and relieve edler.....they say edler is least worst on the right side but how would they know if they havent tried garrison on that side???

Ray Ferraro said it beautifully last night. Garrison needs time to adjust to our system and get more comfortable. Until then, it will take baby steps. Getting his defensive game together comes first and then we can start looking to getting his offense going.

90% of his goals last season came off of one timers. I have been shaking my head every time he receives a pass at the point, stops the puck, winds up, and then shoots it wide.

He's gotta start blasting those feeds right away. That's how he scores his goals. System or not, his accuracy has been terrible.

I'd give him a break though. The Sedins are going through their beginning of the season struggles, so their cycle game on the powerplay is a bit off. And our net presence without Kesler has been pretty poor.

He'll come around.

he would be wasted on the 1st power play they rarely work the puck to the point eveything comes from the half boards and down low with the sedins what needs to happen is a quick line change after 1 minute if the sedin line hasnt done anything most of the time they are out there for 1:20-1:35 of the PP and the second unit with the guns from the point and the big screen in kassian dont get out there

You know what I've noticed? Garrison likes to lift his stick and point to the open man when in the offensive zone. Anyone else notice that?

I mean, c'mon man! It's nice that he likes to point things out but he's got a bomb of a shot and if he's not ready to blast a one-timer then there's no use of him out there. /rant

90% of his goals last season came off of one timers. I have been shaking my head every time he receives a pass at the point, stops the puck, winds up, and then shoots it wide.

He's gotta start blasting those feeds right away. That's how he scores his goals. System or not, his accuracy has been terrible.

I'd give him a break though. The Sedins are going through their beginning of the season struggles, so their cycle game on the powerplay is a bit off. And our net presence without Kesler has been pretty poor.

He'll come around.

When we are healthy...

Kesler-sedin-sedin

Edler-garrison

Umbrella set up: edler on the left circle, garrison at the top and hank on the right circle with Danny and kes down low

Booth-burrows-Raymond/Higgins

Hamhuis-bieksa

We are paying him 4.6m for his shot and his pp goals, how do u expect to get ur money's worth if u don't put him in position to succeed???

He is missing the net because he his gripping his stick to tight and he needs something good to happen to relax

I'd like to see him play 5 on 5 on the right side just to see if he can do it and relieve edler.....they say edler is least worst on the right side but how would they know if they havent tried garrison on that side???

Archived