The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer not the time to trade big contracts, this year!

J.I.A.H.N

As the posts suggests, I don't think this summer will be a great time to trade our big contracts. If any of the players that been offered up in trades by CDC ( Luongo, Boothe, Ballard and Raymond) were to be traded, I just don't think we will get that solid return, here is why I think so........

First of all, after checking with Capgeek, there are 16 teams that are $8,000,000 or closer to this years Cap of 70 million. In that group many have players that will be getting their first year on their new contract next year, which have a increase and isn't really factered into this years cap stats. We have our own in Edler where he's going from 3,750,00 to 5,000,000 in 2013-2014

And just like this January, this coming summer is going to be a mess, with some very difficult decissions having to be made. There will be even more Juniors and AHLer's playing, just to keep that Cap down.

Now of the remaining 14 teams that are 12 million or more under the cap, there will be 3 or 4 that will have self imposed low budget Caps, as they do now.

This will make it hard to dump those large contracts, and will result in some teams that just can't get rid of their large contract, just buying them out, and dumping them.

What I think is that you had better be ahead of the rest with your trades, if you want value ....of any kind!

It will be a buyers market!

Anyways, that is my thoughts on the subject, what I really want to know is what CDC thinks this summer will be like in terms of trades, buy outs, etc, and how that will affect the Canucks in general.

I would love to hear your ideas on this subject.........I think it impacts our future, what about you?

At least one of either Booth, Ballard, or Luongo will have to go if we want to make a major addition to improve our roster in the offseason.

Of course if all goes well this year and no needs really need to be addresed, then we might be okay just letting Manny go or signing him back at a reduced price.

I'm pretty sure, no one knows what is the market value for anything right now so everyone will stay put until the first domino goes down. Waiting for summer is a must, because the goal right now is to win the cup and be the best you can possibly be. It's fine if you don't get full value in a trade, the cap aspect of it all will be more crucial than before, if I'm correct you can trade cap space now? I'm sure this team will be happy to just dump a contract in summer, without getting anything back. It's summer, that leaves a lot of options open.

I think there'll be a lot of moves this summer. Maybe no big splashes (other than lu). I believe washington and Columbus have a lot of work to do. Oh yah, Iginla may get scooped.

Im looking for Vancouver and washington to make the biggest moves this summer.

I'm pretty sure, no one knows what is the market value for anything right now so everyone will stay put until the first domino goes down. Waiting for summer is a must, because the goal right now is to win the cup and be the best you can possibly be. It's fine if you don't get full value in a trade, the cap aspect of it all will be more crucial than before, if I'm correct you can trade cap space now? I'm sure this team will be happy to just dump a contract in summer, without getting anything back. It's summer, that leaves a lot of options open.

I guess, I am just greedy and think that getting futures and picks, could come easier now than later. Just dropping a player like Boothe, or Ballard just doesn't sit well without getting anything back for them...Ballards just starting to play up to snuff after 3 years, go figure!.......Reality sucks!.........Don't think Manny's coming back though.

With a 6 million drop in the cap plus a 1.75 million raise for Edler and a 2.5 million raise for Burrows, we are going to drop 10.25 million in payroll from our current lineup. So that is probably two of Booth, Ballard and Luongo, although we might squeak through by letting Alberts, Malhotra, Raymond and Higgins walk as UFAs. Somehow I don't see any major addition to our roster coming. Moving one of the goalies for picks and prospects would help us meet the cap challenge without buying people out, but MG still seems to be demanding full value including a roster player. Another way to go would be to stand pat with what we've got, try to win the SC, do whatever trades and buyouts we need to get under the cap in the summer, and maybe create enough space that we can sign some other good players that are going to get cut loose for cap reasons to replace the ones we'll be losing. Really this whole situation is stupid, just another way to penalize well-run teams in the name of parity. Those of you who supported the owners better not whine when we get nothing for Lu and Ballard this summer.

At least one of either Booth, Ballard, or Luongo will have to go if we want to make a major addition to improve our roster in the offseason.

Of course if all goes well this year and no needs really need to be addresed, then we might be okay just letting Manny go or signing him back at a reduced price.

zcaptain, I agree with the notion you've stated here. Based on this situation(not to mention MG/Gilman seem pretty sharp), I believe we'll see at least one large contract(Lou, Ballard, or Booth) dealt by the deadline.

Basically do we trade-off insurance with more depth, as opposed to a cheaper return this summer? Hoping they acquire more youth/size before PO's, myself.

It wouldn't surprise me if teams with Buyouts to spare use them to as leverage in trades.

For instance lets say we have Team A and Team B

Team A is near the cap and needs to trade away large contracts or buy them out.

Team B hasn't used a compliance buyout and doesn't need to as they have managed there contracts well.

If Team A were to bundle an unwanted player they planned to buyout and a decent player(one that Team B is interested in), Team B may be able to acquire the decent player at a reduced price simply because they are taking the large contract of the unwanted player in the deal. With the extra buyouts they have they can now buy out the unwanted players contract and essential got the player they wanted.

Well you can still be optimistic. Niklas Jensen is looking real good, and if the team thinks he's ready. He'll bring something different to this team, but Booth or Raymond will be gone, but I'm not too worried. Jensen is going to a hell of a player to watch. Then, there's Kassian who looks like he could use a bigger role. The core of this Canuck team is set, its just the bottom six, bottom pairs that are concerning. The cap space will do this team real good. Allow us to stay competitive, those prospects and picks don't always turn out and we're in win now mode. No one will care about anything, if this team wins a cup.

Sedin (6.1) Sedin (6.1) Burrows (4.5)

Booth (4.5)/Jensen (0.89) Kesler (5) Kassian (0.87)

Hamhuis (4.5) Bieksa (4.6)

Edler ( 5) Garrison (4.6)

Lou (5.333) or Schneider (4)

Thats between 42.16 and 47.1 in the top 6 + top 4 d + 1 starting goaly. Leaving between 22 and 17 mil for a bottem 6, bottem d pair and back up. That is certainly do-able, I'm not to concerned about it we aren't going to have to blow up the team to fit in the cap. We might not get the best possible return for Lou or Ballard, but I don't think we will have to resort to a buy out.

We do have a huge amount of free agents though. It's sad to say but I think we are going to have to let some of them walk..

Just another question.....Is the 64.5 million a hard cap for next year, or if there is growth, does that cap move for 2013-2014? So, if there is somehow growth this year, does the cap move up? Kinda silly question, but does anyone know the answer, considering we are in year one of the new Collective Agreement.

Archived