129 replies to this topic

#61 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

he brings super skills to the team. and hits and 2 fights in one game and he's 6'2 and there are times when his hands are soft... few seconds at a time every few games... Oh ya he is also only 24 I think so he's young and in his sophmore season going through a sophmore slump clearly. Guy is a nice depth player for us, could be useful in the playoffs like torres if we give him a chance. I'm not saying he's going to run guys and get suspended, but he might bring some good energy!
linden Vey Sig

#62 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

2 words

Dutch Gretzky

:bigblush:

lol oh man, that cracked me up.

#63 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,300 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Honestly, too many yippie-skippy types in this town got too much of a boner from his no competition stats in some substandard euro league. Lol at explaining why those stats didn't translate here. 'Derp. No crap, genius.'

Until the guy actually does something to solidify a spot here, all the advanced stats in the world doesn't change his depth player status.
Posted Image

#64 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I love the guy.

Solid 4th liner.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#65 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

He's the least of this teams worries.

#66 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Honestly Dale Weise should be waived. He thinks he is some skilled player, barely hits... and just does... well nothing.

Would like a more bruising fourth liner.

With that said, don't have anything to complain about his defensive game... he just does nothing good... just a body out there... at least its' still better then the likes of Glass and Ryan Johnson.

Edited by Sanford, 13 February 2013 - 09:40 PM.

Posted Image

#67 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Weise isn't a 4th line fighter despite lookin like a complete knuckle dragger chromagnon man hes got un tapped skill to be developed.

#68 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

While I really like the play of Weiss this year, I think Volpatti has been equally impressive as a 4th liner and has the same higher degree of skill than most in that role.
Posted Image

#69 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,414 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Dale Weise is the least of our worries right now.

Besides who would you have replace him? Stefan Schneider isn't quite ready for the NHL.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 13 February 2013 - 09:51 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#70 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

He does what we need him to do. It would be stupid to expect more and then get disappointed. He does well at his role.

#71 roland

roland

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

He brings energy, can fight, hit and this is just his second NHL season. Also, the back of his jersey doesn't say Raymond

#72 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Honestly Dale Weise should be waived. He thinks he is some skilled player, barely hits... and just does... well nothing.

Would like a more bruising fourth liner.

With that said, don't have anything to complain about his defensive game... he just does nothing good... just a body out there... at least its' still better then the likes of Glass and Ryan Johnson.

Not even close. Have you seen Glass fight this season? Glass was a pretty damn decent 4th liner for the Canucks during the regular season. He was injured the entire run to the Finals, and yes, he was brutal during that.

#73 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

To those citing the number of hits he has: the volume of hits a player has is irrelevant if those hits aren't doing anything. Not a player in the league fears a hit from Dale Weise. OP is right, he does nothing well- the Canucks would be better suited with a big bruiser that doesn't have the 'upside' that Weise does, but can actually cause havoc in a 4th line role.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#74 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Serviceable 4th line RWer.
Posted Image

#75 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

To those citing the number of hits he has: the volume of hits a player has is irrelevant if those hits aren't doing anything. Not a player in the league fears a hit from Dale Weise. OP is right, he does nothing well- the Canucks would be better suited with a big bruiser that doesn't have the 'upside' that Weise does, but can actually cause havoc in a 4th line role.

Disagree. Play any level of hockey, and you will realize you are pressured into making a play with a puck if there is a body coming at you. Nobody wants to get hit. If you see a Jordan Schroeder coming at you, you may take that split second to make the better play, but you still don't want to deal with the unpleasantries of getting hit.I throw a ping pong ball at you in the face. You will get out of the way. You won't absorb the impact even though it is minimal.

Posted Image

#76 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

lol at all the hate here for the only forward on the whole team who gave enough of a crap to play somewhere during the lockout. Maybe he should "Bertuzzi" a Bruin or a Black Hawk next time we face them. Result: Instant fan favorite I would wager.

#77 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

http://vansunsportsb...t-being-a-jerk/

Please read this recent blog from PITB and kindly shut up. Stop trolling.

That is the problem with people like the poster of this topic; they watch hockey and may know the game, but do not understand the whole picture. They are unable to see the little things in the game that actually make the game a science.
Corsi stats people learn how to read and understand them.The stats say a lot about the players that the average hockey fan can not see on the ice. It's rare for fans to understand the game beyond; points, hits, fights and saves.

#78 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I will explain:

Dale Weiss is like if someone used some sort of high tech cryogenic freezing process to freeze both Dale Weise and Steven Weiss completely solid, while preserving their life. THEN, they use some fancy sort of high pressure water cutting device to carefully cut both people in half down the middle. Then, they fuze the left half of Weise to the right half of Weiss. They do the same, but vice versa, to the other bodies.

Steven Weise was thawed out incorrectly, and so he died. Scientists learned from their mistakes, and discovered that Steven Weise was thawed out at too low a temperature, and actually turned to mush on the inside.

Dale Weiss, on the other hand, was thawed out in a more specialized microwave oven, which allowed the particles on the inside warm up at the same rate as those on the outside. This made survival possible.

The end result was a fast player who actually had some hockey sense and skill, as well as some energetic edge and an ability to throw the body.

Subject died three days later. Cause: brain cancer. As it turns out, it's a really bad idea to microwave a person, even if it is actually two half people fuzed together.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#79 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Isn't he a fourth line player?

It seems you are putting too much on a fourth line player

Ok, he is a 4th liner....but if he can not prove that he is a better 4th liner than other 4th liner who are BIG AND TOUGH, then why him? Why not a guy like a Orr? Thornton? Parros?? Why him???????????

#80 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

He's cheap, fast, he hits, he fights, he's a good PK'er and occasionally scores (some pretty sweet ones too). WTF is there to complain about?

#81 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

This is still my fav Weise moment of the season so far.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#82 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Disagree. Play any level of hockey, and you will realize you are pressured into making a play with a puck if there is a body coming at you. Nobody wants to get hit. If you see a Jordan Schroeder coming at you, you may take that split second to make the better play, but you still don't want to deal with the unpleasantries of getting hit.I throw a ping pong ball at you in the face. You will get out of the way. You won't absorb the impact even though it is minimal.

I've played hockey my entire life. If I see someone whom I know won't be throwing too punishing a hit, I'd be fine absorbing the contact- though granted, I am a bigger dude- and continuing to move the puck up the ice myself. If the same guy stick checks me in that scenario, it might force me to make a play with the puck. However, If it were a real bruiser coming in hard with the body, then I'm going to be pressured to make a play, fast, and then get the f*** out of dodge, because I know I'm going to get smashed if I take the contact. So yes, the force of the hit certainly matters. I'm sure that if you do play hockey you'd know that.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#83 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Last season he had the lowest GA/MIN out of any of our forwards playing defensive minutes and starting 80% of the time in the defensive zone (second most in the league next to Malhotra). He is still young, has good size, can skate well, and has showed a bit of skill in lower leagues.

Our fourth line is supposed to get the puck out of the zone and change. Weise has done that well. He also finished in the offensive zone more often than most of our other players.

He is third on the team with 29 hits and leads forwards in blocked shots (8). All together he is a fairly reliable player who can chip in physically and defensively, has some potential, and earns a small salary. If we were paying him 1.8 million i'd be frustrated but he is earning his paycheck.
Sig too big.

#84 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

I like what Weise brings to the table, nothing spectacular, but he's a big body that hits/plays physical and has some offensive ability but helping chip in a goal here and there. Also many have mentioned that he's not a great fighter but he's willing to drop the gloves and fight and I think that's worth something.

But I have to admit with Volpatti back this season he does what Weise does and then some. I've really been impressed with his play, he's physical, has some offensive aptitude, and can be punishing in many of his fights.

I also remember when we pick him off waivers from the Rangers that they weren't happy we plucked him from them, so I guess maybe they saw something in him? As mentioned in the article, he has had some previous success in the AHL etc. in terms of offensive ability so it may just be a matter of time before he's a more complete fourth liner.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#85 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

HE SUCKS! Am I right or am I right?

#86 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

I agree. I dont know what the hell he's doing on the team. The Rangers must have been so glad to get rid of him. During the off season, when I heard Gillis resigned Weise and Ebbett, I was like WTF?

#87 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Im sure hes a character guy but someone has to tell me what this guys brings to the table. There has to be a better option even at this price point. I just dont see the positives. No hands, cant fight, cant pass. Perhaps when booth and kesler are ready, weiss might just be put on waivers.

Exact same things were said about Burrows his first full season on our FOURTH line. Among all forwards he's third in hits (behind Volpatti and Lapierre), first in blocked shots, and has the second lowest ice time per game (only Volpatti has less).
Posted Image

#88 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

The credibility of this thread went down the drain when the term "...at this price point" was used.
Posted Image

#89 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

lol at all the hate here for the only forward on the whole team who gave enough of a crap to play somewhere during the lockout. Maybe he should "Bertuzzi" a Bruin or a Black Hawk next time we face them. Result: Instant fan favorite I would wager.

Well people cant hate on Raymond or Ballard anymore because of the way they are playing. Dale is doing his job and sticking up for his mates on the team and i am pretty sure he is respected for that in the dressing room. When Booth gets back he will be the target for the vitriol from threads like this and Dale will all but be forgotten.

#90 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Ask Alex plante from the oilers last year if Weise hits hard
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.