The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weiss- please explain

garthsbutcher

Disagree. Play any level of hockey, and you will realize you are pressured into making a play with a puck if there is a body coming at you. Nobody wants to get hit. If you see a Jordan Schroeder coming at you, you may take that split second to make the better play, but you still don't want to deal with the unpleasantries of getting hit.I throw a ping pong ball at you in the face. You will get out of the way. You won't absorb the impact even though it is minimal.

Last season he had the lowest GA/MIN out of any of our forwards playing defensive minutes and starting 80% of the time in the defensive zone (second most in the league next to Malhotra). He is still young, has good size, can skate well, and has showed a bit of skill in lower leagues.

Our fourth line is supposed to get the puck out of the zone and change. Weise has done that well. He also finished in the offensive zone more often than most of our other players.

He is third on the team with 29 hits and leads forwards in blocked shots (8). All together he is a fairly reliable player who can chip in physically and defensively, has some potential, and earns a small salary. If we were paying him 1.8 million i'd be frustrated but he is earning his paycheck.

I like what Weise brings to the table, nothing spectacular, but he's a big body that hits/plays physical and has some offensive ability but helping chip in a goal here and there. Also many have mentioned that he's not a great fighter but he's willing to drop the gloves and fight and I think that's worth something.

But I have to admit with Volpatti back this season he does what Weise does and then some. I've really been impressed with his play, he's physical, has some offensive aptitude, and can be punishing in many of his fights.

I also remember when we pick him off waivers from the Rangers that they weren't happy we plucked him from them, so I guess maybe they saw something in him? As mentioned in the article, he has had some previous success in the AHL etc. in terms of offensive ability so it may just be a matter of time before he's a more complete fourth liner.

Im sure hes a character guy but someone has to tell me what this guys brings to the table. There has to be a better option even at this price point. I just dont see the positives. No hands, cant fight, cant pass. Perhaps when booth and kesler are ready, weiss might just be put on waivers.

Honestly Dale Weise should be waived. He thinks he is some skilled player, barely hits... and just does... well nothing.

Would like a more bruising fourth liner.

With that said, don't have anything to complain about his defensive game... he just does nothing good... just a body out there... at least its' still better then the likes of Glass and Ryan Johnson.

Im sure hes a character guy but someone has to tell me what this guys brings to the table. There has to be a better option even at this price point. I just dont see the positives. No hands, cant fight, cant pass. Perhaps when booth and kesler are ready, weiss might just be put on waivers.

lol at all the hate here for the only forward on the whole team who gave enough of a crap to play somewhere during the lockout. Maybe he should "Bertuzzi" a Bruin or a Black Hawk next time we face them. Result: Instant fan favorite I would wager.

Archived