The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living in Vancouver

MarchandSucks

Depending on your job location, make sure you can get to the Skytrain easily.

I've lived in North Van, Van, BBY, New West and Surrey.

I'd do Vancouver if money was ok or NV if you were into the slopes. Surrey only if you have family there, want to buy cheap or are desperate.

So, Van, North Van, New West, BBY, then Surrey for me. If I was to move back to Vancouver I'd probably do New West taking everything into account.

Just moved to the West End at the start of February...

Yes, Vancouver is ridiculously expensive but the convenience of living downtown is also amazing. I walk out my front door and I am within 5 minutes of Stanley Park, the Seawall, a gym, a library, a community centre, a grocery store, bus routes, and 40 some-odd restaurants. I also recently discovered meetup.com and have had a great time being able to do things with random people in the city.

Need more details. What are you planning to do when you finish college? Do you have a car/ like driving or do you prefer to have good access to transit? Are you going to rent or buy? What kind of living arrangement do you want? (Ie. condo? House? And are you going to be sharing with someone or are you trying to get a place to yourself?) What kind of activities do you like? What kind of services and amenities would you like to be nearby?

There's many options, but it really depends on what you want.

Glassjaw, yah, Victoria's awesome but there's no jobs there. Well, maybe if you manage to swing a gig with the government but those are pretty tough to get. I know I really wanted to stay there after University but no dice. :( Vancouver's the next best choice.

West End also feels like more of a neighbourhood than some other places in Vancouver. I've never truly lived in the 'burbs but I have lived in the Lower Lonsdale area of North Vancouver as well as right downtown near the Wall Centre. Both of these other places were more sterile and seemed to really earn the "cold shoulder" image.

Well, I'm kind of biased because my parents live in Burnaby and I spent a good portion of my life there. :P I live in Vancouver now and I actually find that amenities like community centres, pools, rec centres, city parks etc. in Burnaby are superior to those in Vancouver proper. Or at least it seems like there's more of them. The nice thing about Burnaby too is it's kind of right smack dab in the middle of the Lower Mainland so you're never too far from most places.

That being said, I really don't know very much about the other suburbs so yah, definitely do your own research. Burnaby is pretty expensive. You'll definitely get better bang for you buck if you go further out. It just depends what you want. Oh also, Burnaby definitely has it's grungier neighbourhoods (just like Vancouver). Not all of it is nice.

Archived